The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Reducing suspicion between normal deck vs Svengali (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
I typically use non-standard Bicycles (special editions, bridge size, ghosts, etc) for most of my non-gaff card tricks. I have a Svengali deck from the dollar store, so the difference between the normal decks and the Svengali is stark. The majority of Svengali decks I see are standard bicycles, although I do see a ghost Svengali deck exists.

I am wondering, though, if anyone has any tips on keeping suspicion off of a Svengali deck when switched around a normal and different looking deck. Of course the ideal might would be switching two "identical" decks without the audience knowing, but again I don't really use standard bikes (ghost Svengali is an option).
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Make your own Svengali out of the type of cards you use... that will really blow them away!
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2018, misterbill wrote:
Make your own Svengali out of the type of cards you use... that will really blow them away!
How would I go about that? Surely not getting 26 identical decks just to strip 1 card out of them. Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Buy one “one way force deck” (couple bucks at Penguin or the like) and you can make two decks. You will need to trim them about 1/64” and round the corners.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Buy one “one way force deck” (couple bucks at Penguin or the like) and you can make two decks. You will need to trim them about 1/64” and round the corners.

Good idea, but I would likely just buy a normal bike Svengali at that point. Again, I don't use standard bikes much, I like the artsy cards.
Markus_M
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Markus_M
If you want to keep suspicion down you either have to bite the lemon and make one up or use standard cards. By not using standard/ normal looking cards you are already heavily alerting your spectators. Then on top switching back designs between tricks all the bells will go nuts!
I can understand your admiration of the beautifully made 'designer decks' but unless you have a reason, like having a ancient looking one along with a haunted patter for lets say a card rise, to use such a deck IMHO it's best to avoid those kinds of cards.

Regards,
Markus
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2018, misterbill wrote:
How would I go about that? Surely not getting 26 identical decks just to strip 1 card out of them. Smile

That's exactly what I am saying! Just get some bricks of the cards you want.

Quote:
On Sep 12, 2018, Markus_M wrote:
If you want to keep suspicion down you either have to bite the lemon and make one up or use standard cards. By not using standard/ normal looking cards you are already heavily alerting your spectators. ...

Markus is absolutely right, but only if your audience isn't familiar with the decks you are using. However if you perform for people who /are/ familiar with those decks and/or actually use them, well those people would /never/ suspect that you could gimmick them up in anyway (or would even bother to)! This means for them you could get away with quite a bit of mischief! Make a stripper deck with them! Better yet, mark them and do some marked deck effects! The miracles you could perform for them would be well worth a few bricks of cards and little time!
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Alternatively, you could learn a good ACR and pretty much eliminate the need for a Svengali Deck.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Reducing suspicion between normal deck vs Svengali (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL