The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » How hard does Scotch and Soda "hit"? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Would love to learn Mr Palmer’s S&S routine.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8253 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2019, Dollarbill wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
I remember Bill's wonderful ungimmicked S&S from many years back now, he made it available to anyone that asked for it....Wondeful man and magician. Smile

He will always be remembered for such a kind gesture for a real good option as to a really good piece of magic. Smile

Happy to see people still using it. Way ta go, Corey. Smile


Is Bill not with us anymore?


So sorry here, didn't mean to imply that about Bill. I did see that he posted during this month, so he 's very much with us and still a tremendously magical resource.

*And Wrav, you might just reach out to him here via PM for his gaffess S&S routine, I'm sure he'd be happy to still share it. Smile

Oh, and this is an old post from Bill, try it. Smile

Quote:
On Jun 26, 2010, Bill Palmer wrote:
I've been getting so many requests for my gaffless Scotch and Soda routine, that I need to ask anyone who is interested to e-mail me at curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com

The routine is free.
*Check out my latest: Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
835 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2019, Dollarbill wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
I remember Bill's wonderful ungimmicked S&S from many years back now, he made it available to anyone that asked for it....Wondeful man and magician. Smile

He will always be remembered for such a kind gesture for a real good option as to a really good piece of magic. Smile

Happy to see people still using it. Way ta go, Corey. Smile


Is Bill not with us anymore?



So sorry here, didn't mean to imply that about Bill. I did see that he posted during this month, so he 's very much with us and still a tremendously magical resource.

*And Wray, you might just reach out to him here via PM for his gaffess S&S routine, I'm sure he'd be happy to still share it. Smile


Whew! I don't know Bill, but always respected his views. And who else has a Cup n Balls museum? 👌 I recently heard that MagicIan passed. Again I didn't know him but had talked to him thru the Café' and saw quite a few of his posts over time. Just sucks...No matter who it is......... Well on a better note I'm glad Bill is still around us! 👍👍
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2019, Dollarbill wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
I remember Bill's wonderful ungimmicked S&S from many years back now, he made it available to anyone that asked for it....Wondeful man and magician. Smile

He will always be remembered for such a kind gesture for a real good option as to a really good piece of magic. Smile

Happy to see people still using it. Way ta go, Corey. Smile


Is Bill not with us anymore?


So sorry here, didn't mean to imply that about Bill. I did see that he posted during this month, so he 's very much with us and still a tremendously magical resource.

*And Wrav, you might just reach out to him here via PM for his gaffess S&S routine, I'm sure he'd be happy to still share it. Smile

Oh, and this is an old post from Bill, try it. Smile

Quote:
On Jun 26, 2010, Bill Palmer wrote:
I've been getting so many requests for my gaffless Scotch and Soda routine, that I need to ask anyone who is interested to e-mail me at curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com

The routine is free.


Mb, thank you very much!
tbsmith918
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, Virginia
28 Posts

Profile of tbsmith918
I still have my Johnson S&S set from way back when. I haven't performed it in quite a while but it always garnered the reactions I wanted...i.e. the folks liked it...it's simple...fast...and it happens right in their hand so what's not to like. This is a classic...always will be. I like the idea of thinking outside the box...coming up with some tweaks perhaps...or new ways to use the set...and the little change purse idea. Such great ideas here.
Tom
will lane
View Profile
Loyal user
Will likes to post so he has made
229 Posts

Profile of will lane
It is probably old news to many of you, but I found a S&S video compilation by David Hudspath that has a lot of great ideas. I would suggest to buy but I don't think it is available. I don't think I can post the video link directly because it would be way too revealing, but if you are having trouble finding it, PM me.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
835 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
The 25 tricks to do w/ s&s is pretty good to I thought.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1318 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I'm reading this thread in slight disbelief. I've used a magnetic Scotch and Soda set to do walk around for years. Bang rings are not practical, but with a steel shimmed half, the magnetic S&S resets in seconds. I would open with Jennest's short hop, which allows the coins to be inspected and ends with all coins going to your pocket. Take out the "same" coins to do a S&S effect and you are golden. My performing jacket has two coins pockets in the right jacket pocket that I would use to keep the coins separate.

And yes, S&S hits hard. IMHO, YMMV...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3752 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
I'm reading this thread in slight disbelief. I've used a magnetic Scotch and Soda set to do walk around for years. Bang rings are not practical, but with a steel shimmed half, the magnetic S&S resets in seconds. I would open with Jennest's short hop, which allows the coins to be inspected and ends with all coins going to your pocket. Take out the "same" coins to do a S&S effect and you are golden. My performing jacket has two coins pockets in the right jacket pocket that I would use to keep the coins separate.

And yes, S&S hits hard. IMHO, YMMV...


Kaliix, I agree with you.
May I ask which mag version of S&S you have been using?
dmoriarty1
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Joining the discussion a little late. I love S&S, and still use it all the time as it does hit hard.

I begin by telling specs that I collect coins, and that "these two" are my lucky/favorite ones. This has never raised suspicions. After they reveal the half and Japanese 500 yen coin in their hands, I reveal the Centavo (usually I sneak it under a napkin, cup or book on the table, and guide them to it, or I'll just pull it out my pocket if I'm unable to be sneaky). Then they can examine all three coins to their hearts content.

I would be interested in the magnetic version, as well, but I do like that specs are able to handle the coins.

D.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1231 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
I'm reading this thread in slight disbelief. I've used a magnetic Scotch and Soda set to do walk around for years. Bang rings are not practical, but with a steel shimmed half, the magnetic S&S resets in seconds. I would open with Jennest's short hop, which allows the coins to be inspected and ends with all coins going to your pocket. Take out the "same" coins to do a S&S effect and you are golden. My performing jacket has two coins pockets in the right jacket pocket that I would use to keep the coins separate.

And yes, S&S hits hard. IMHO, YMMV...


When I use a gimmick S&S, I never have a problem with using a bang ring. Most times you can reset in your pocket without actually having to "Bang" the set to reset.
dmoriarty1
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, Corey Harris wrote:

When I use a gimmick S&S, I never have a problem with using a bang ring. Most times you can reset in your pocket without actually having to "Bang" the set to reset.


Hi Corey,

Do you mean that the coins just come apart while in your pocket? Perhaps you have a higher end set than mine, but I have to slam mine pretty hard on a solid table for the coins to separate. Any tips on how to accomplish this "in the pocket, no bang" reset?

D.
tbsmith918
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, Virginia
28 Posts

Profile of tbsmith918
For sure...that's interesting...using the bang ring without the bang. My old Johnson set (as mentioned by others) requires slamming it pretty hard on a flat surface...not a bad thing at all since (also as mentioned by others) means the spectator(s) can handle the coin afterwards. I have not handled a magnetic set so I really can't speak to that...I assume they separate easily.
Tom
dmoriarty1
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2019, tbsmith918 wrote:
For sure...that's interesting...using the bang ring without the bang. My old Johnson set (as mentioned by others) requires slamming it pretty hard on a flat surface...not a bad thing at all since (also as mentioned by others) means the spectator(s) can handle the coin afterwards. I have not handled a magnetic set so I really can't speak to that...I assume they separate easily.


I was trying to accomplish this with my Johnson set as well, and no way was that thing coming apart without a good bang on a hard surface.

I've only handled a magnetic Eisenhower version, and I ended up returning it right away because of poor quality. Going back to the original poster's question, I think any version of S & S is worth looking into.

D.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8253 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2019, tbsmith918 wrote:
For sure...that's interesting...using the bang ring without the bang. My old Johnson set (as mentioned by others) requires slamming it pretty hard on a flat surface...not a bad thing at all since (also as mentioned by others) means the spectator(s) can handle the coin afterwards. I have not handled a magnetic set so I really can't speak to that...I assume they separate easily.


I've had both kinds of S&S, and found the magnetic version to be noticeably light in weight & feel. While it is much easier to reset than the old bang ring version, I never felt good about allowing for any examination. Think the inset also could spin a bit as well, if Im not mistaken? Now, all that might be just the make I had from a good while back. Perhaps they are better made now but that was my experience and so I didn't use the magnetic version much, back when I used to actually do the trick. But I always thought it was a good idea.
*Check out my latest: Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1231 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, dmoriarty1 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, Corey Harris wrote:

When I use a gimmick S&S, I never have a problem with using a bang ring. Most times you can reset in your pocket without actually having to "Bang" the set to reset.


Hi Corey,

Do you mean that the coins just come apart while in your pocket? Perhaps you have a higher end set than mine, but I have to slam mine pretty hard on a solid table for the coins to separate. Any tips on how to accomplish this "in the pocket, no bang" reset?

D.


dmoriarty1, What I do is place the coin in the bang ring in my pocket and just apply pressure, that usually resets in right in my pocket. Mine is a Johnson set from before they let their quality go downhill. But to go back further in this post, I usually do a gimmickless routine. I did however pull out my old S&S the other day and it still dislodges fine with just some pressure in the bang ring.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1318 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The magnetic scotch and soda set I have is from Johnson I believe. That set when purchased was $50 and was the first expensive magic gaff I ever bought (circa mid 90's). I did a quick search and Johnson doesn't even list the magnetic version (just the bang ring version) on their website, nor did I really find it quickly on the web. Tango has a set but I've never used it.

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2019, videoman wrote:
Kaliix, I agree with you. May I ask which mag version of S-S you have been using?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
835 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
What I can say bout' Johnson is the customer service is second to none. There are several. they are one of em' . 🙂.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3752 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks Kaliix, I have had the Johnson magnetic copper/silver set since the late '70's. This was a great utility set because you could do so much with it, including S&S of course. It’s a shame they no longer offer this superb multi-purpose set. It offered great bang for the buck.

For those interested in performing a magnetic S&S, any of the Coin Unique sets will work. I also have a Captain and Coke 2.0 which is a magnetic quarter/penny set and one of my favorites. In addition I have a £2/2P Coin Unique set, and I just got one of the new £1/1P sets from Vanishing Inc. This is a very beautifully made Coin Unique set by the way. I was extremely pleased and impressed with the quality of it.
Don't forget that if you own Wayne Dobson’s Pocket Money effect, you can use the gaff from that to do an S&S routine as well.

I own a lot of gaffs made in coins that are foreign to the US. I know a lot of magicians will only use coins found in their local currency but I really like the variety and interest that using foreign coins can add to a routine. I don’t find spectators are any more suspicious of them, in fact just the opposite, they are more interested and fascinated with them. It helps pull them in.

Another nice advantage to using a magnetic S&S set is that if you own a magnet detector such as Flux you can go right into a Which Hand routine which is a logical and natural follow up to the standard S&S routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » How hard does Scotch and Soda "hit"? (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL