The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cubism Maestro (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18 [Next]
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
As far as I know, most of us that ordered are still waiting. Actually, I've given up at this point. I was holding out hope for quite a while but I don't think it's going to happen now.
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Sorry to hear that Smile
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Comment from Barry Khoo on Kickstarter a week ago:

Hello, Dave or Kickstarter!!!

It's now over 4 years...and you have already procured every item and it's just sitting in your home waiting for you to deliver to us backers.

We all know that you are having some financial issues, we can help you by paying again the shipping fee to help you and you help us by shipping out our backed "Cubism: Maestro".

Looking forward to hearing some good news from you or Kickstarter???

Thank you!
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
There was a similar comment at least a couple of years ago, along with no response. It would still be nice to get them but as I said over a year ago now, I don't have any expectations of Dave fulfilling his side of the deal.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I don’t believe Dave has any intention of shipping them to those that paid for them. I’m quite certain he considers the stack of boxes in his garage as income for the future. Why would he ship them to purchasers and do the right thing when he can sell them to others and make more money from them?

He’ll wait another year or two for the dust to settle and then begin wholesaling them to Murphy’s. Do you think Murphy’s will care a bit about the history behind them? Of course not.
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
And maybe this is the reason he's not sending them. He decided to take the grief of people complaining about not fulfilling the orders rather than take grief about the product itself.

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2020, Peckham wrote:
Well, I guess I got double screwed. Not only was I a kickstarter backer and never received the product, but I took another risk and decided to order a unit from Merlin's in the UK. It came today, looks nice, but I think I hit upon the problem and why he is not sending them out and probably can't afford to fix. The magnet in the chop cup is too weak. The one chopped die (you get a bunch of dice for the routine) barely is suspended. The slightest tap or jostle will dislodge it. I tried it with about a dozen chopped balls, olives and other stuff I have from the "collection" and its all the same. I'm going to have to pull out the original Cubism that I had ordered from Afghanistan back in 2014 and see if that cup is any better! On the positive side, I now have 3 (count them three) dice cups I can use and I was reading some old lecture notes from Dan Fleshman (written by John Mendoza) and there is routine in there called "a Shot for You!" that requires a nice dice cup. Looks like I'll be working on that routine!
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Another comment on Kickstarter from Douglas Illusion:

4 YEARS AND NOTHING. DAVE FORREST IS A FRAUD AND A CRIMINAL FOR TAKING OUR MONEY HE SHOULD BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
On Kickstarter a new comment from Christopher Parker:

"I approached Dave on FB and he said he’s waiting for keys to a new flat then Cubism Maestro will be sent out.

Waiting to see!"
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
It looks like the same thing happened with a trick called The Light. Lots of people ordered from Dave Forrest but never received their order. Lots of conversation about it on Facebook currently.
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
NEWS

Today on 'The Light' FB thread when a customer asked about their Maestro set Dave replied "The Kickstart project is a separate issue and is being dealt with"

There is hope yet.
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
So was this a scam?
Bremner
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Bremner
Well, I am still waiting also. I think Dave should be banned from the magic community. Ripping off fellow magicians is a no no.
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Just wondering if a year later we can confirm this was a scam?
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
I guess that the campaign was not started with the intent to scam everyone, but then things happened, either with the production or other things that interfered, and he's now given up on it. In the end, a lot of people were not provided what they paid for and have not received any information about what's going on. Whether it started out as a scam or not, the end result is the same.

-Brian
Ross Magic
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Ross Magic
I was one of the unlucky few to invest in CM. However, I also heard David had a mental breakdown, so the empathetic side of me hopes he's doing well and forgives any wrong doing as I don't think it was intentional.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
789 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Dave was once a great magician and creator. He used to put up YouTube videos with some free effects, and he seemed like a really nice, engaging guy. As a creator he put out quite a few products and most of them were really good. He hung around with Liam Montier and Cameron Francis. He was well regarded.

But something happened.

Who knows the real story about the Kickstarter campaign. They are not guaranteed to succeed. Sometimes they are created with the best of intentions but fail and leave their backers with nothing. That is the nature of Kickstarter and people need to be prepared for that. But one would hope in that case that full transparency would be forthcoming and it seems that didn't happen. Dave claims to have received some really hateful email from people over it.

Also, his full52.com went under. And for me, his real sin was that for years before that he was still taking orders that went unfulfilled, and he did not respond to inquiries about that on either his professional or personal avenues of communication. I had to dispute a purchase with my credit card company for that.

So after going from a successful, admired creator and magician to a failed businessman, with tons of hate from the magic community for ripping them off, it wouldn't surprise me if he had a mental breakdown. It's all such a shame.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Don't blame the The magic community!!!! Plain and simple he rip people off POS.
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Apparently Dave has been sending out a few Cubism maestros! Only took 5 years!
Rob.m
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Rob.m
Had a message today asking for my address to send out Cubism Maestro to me.
Threecard
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny Arizona
141 Posts

Profile of Threecard
Apparently, I'm a little late to the party but I purchased Cubism (not Maestro) via E-bay. I'm very impressed with the quality of the props (the m4gn4t, while weak, seems fine in context). I tried some other m4g balls and they seemed much more "powerful" with this cup (does that make sense?) I think that's a matter of the cup/dice feature of this set. In any case, does anyone have the video download of the instructions? it appears that Full52.com is dead, and my message to Dave Forrest at the Facebook link has been unanswered. It's not a big deal, there are YouTube videos of the routine, but if anyone has it that would be awesome!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cubism Maestro (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL