The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Patter/plot ideas for Rice Bowls & Prayer Vase? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I am fond of both of these classic effects — the Rice Bowls, and the variously titled Chinese Prayer Vase/Vase of Allah (the rope in the bottle) — but would really like to hear various creative presentational ideas, concepts, themes, plots, or patter options.

If you do either or both of them, how do you present and “sell” them? What stories do you tell, what pictures do you paint, what dramas do you walk your audiences through?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
My "Genii In The Bottle" from The Wizards' Journal #29, is a combination of many old effects built around the idea that a silk, on which a Genii is printed, appears and disappears in a bottle and does various other mysterious and mischievous things. Some of the old effects recreated for the Genii to play with include: The Imp Bottle, The Prayer Vase, The Hoo-Coin, The Demuth Milk Bottle, Floating Bottle, Dancing Hank, Silk-Kola, Appearing and Disappearing Bottle and a "Magic Carpet." I didn't include Rice Bowls, but I'm sure they would fit in there somewhere as the Genii's favorite food might be "Rice Krispies."
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have used such "bowls" with soil and seeds and water to grow a plant. Many lessons of "preparation," "everything in moderation," "as ye sow, so also shall you reap," etc. are possible for various audiences. I use modified copper flower pots instead of bowls.

A will build on Jim's lead in suggesting this effect should not be "stand alone," but blended with others for a complete story line. Lotta Vase seems appropriate here to "add nutrients/fertilizer." A rosebud can be used with the empty bowl in a Benson Bowl type routine.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As a teenager, I used the title of the "Prayer Vase" to create the story, and the Chinese symbol to depict the country. The story was about a temple where the Prayer Vase was kept on display. People from all around the land, would come and visit the shrine, pray to gods their wishes. etc.

I think it is better then, see this piece of rope it does not fall out.

Dang, I should have used this story in Vietnam.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The late Charlie Miller did the Al Baker Rice Bowls, as he whistled! It was a very funny build up to a very strong finish!

Tom Ladshaw had a clever routine for the bottle and rope, and, "MO" (the "spirit" in the bottle). If this sounds interesting, PM me, and, I'll try to dig up his email. I think it was part of his lecture.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Good ideas all — thanks, everyone! (And Dick, I’ll PM you shortly.)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
I liked the Rice Bowl Routine, but was too messy to perform or even practice. I also liked the Benson Bowl Routine.
So ended up sort of combining the two. using Rice Bowls I made (gimmicked) from an Asian store. An Asian style small Vase and
a Small sized Styrofoam cup. Performed the Benson Bowl routine then vanish the 3 balls,
pour water in cup, vanish it, do the end bowl move
and wah-lah! produce water in bowls.

Sounds odd but worked and usually closed my parlor routine with it for years.
I still occasionally use it in our Busking sets. Works!

Using real (heavier) style porcelain Rice bowls Chinese Restaurants usually serve I found much less suspect than a Magic
store prop/Bowl. And much cheaper about $1.78 each + tax here.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Resurrecting an old thread but here is my take on the Al Baker Rice Bowls.

www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Patter/plot ideas for Rice Bowls & Prayer Vase? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL