The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gecko Pro by Jim Rosenbaum (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Gecko and Gecko Extreme have been a staple in many magicians arsenal.
Gecko Pro combines both versions in one box and on a lower price.

GPS provides you with thousands of possibilities such as:

• Vanishes!
  • Bending!
  • T&R!
  • Transformations!
  • Switching!
  • Use as a Hold-Out Device too!
  • Instant reset!
  • Perform within minutes of opening!

The possibilities are endless. You are only limited by your imagination!!

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=60036

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
mattdilley
View Profile
New user
Indiana
7 Posts

Profile of mattdilley
Has anyone used this? It seems incredible. Then again so do most things based off the trailer.
ltchip
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of ltchip
Hasn't this been on the market in some form or another for years?
This is I assume a sticky version of a "p*ll"
What is this other than two versions (different "P*lling" strengths I assume) of the Gecko product that has been out for a while?
Not sure this is a latest and greatest candidate as I don' think it is new....but maybe I am confused?
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
342 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
I still have the original. I still use it daily- as a toy for my cat which I fling around the place. The video is misleading and deceptive because it is frankly impossible to perform the effect like that without catching a blur of the item being sucked into your jacket. The noise issues are horrible too.
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
This will look clean as long as you cut out some frames later on...like they did in the trailer...! Never ever you will vanish a bottle with it that clean...
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
Hey come and check this out! See this object in my hand? Hold on, you're looking at it from a little too high. Crouch down a little would you - a little lower, a little more... perfect! Now, everyone else watching - close your eyes for a second...boom! the object has vanished!

NOTE TO BEGINNERS:
Every single shot of a vanish in the trailer is taken from the PERFECT angle to hide the object as it is being vanished. Your spectator will not be at this viewpoint, not unless he ducks down as per the silly example above. I urge you to think twice before buying this, not until they release full performances including the get-ready moves.

Also, notice how a lot of the vanishes in the trailer have the guys hands far from his body? In real life you'll need to have them real close to your body to try to avoid flashing as much as possible, which in my opinion just arouses suspicion.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2018, magic_tony wrote:
Hey come and check this out! See this object in my hand? Hold on, you're looking at it from a little too high. Crouch down a little would you - a little lower, a little more... perfect! Now, everyone else watching - close your eyes for a second...boom! the object has vanished!

NOTE TO BEGINNERS:
Every single shot of a vanish in the trailer is taken from the PERFECT angle to hide the object as it is being vanished. Your spectator will not be at this viewpoint, not unless he ducks down as per the silly example above. I urge you to think twice before buying this, not until they release full performances including the get-ready moves.

Also, notice how a lot of the vanishes in the trailer have the guys hands far from his body? In real life you'll need to have them real close to your body to try to avoid flashing as much as possible, which in my opinion just arouses suspicion.

Really depends on the objects you're vanishing. For something like a phone or the size of a deck of cards, I didn't find flashing to be of a problem with the original. I've never tried to vanish a bottle though as the weight plus size of the thing makes it hard to not flash. There is a sound issue but I've never really used the thing outside of a bar environment so sound was not an issue for me when I used it.

As for the hands being far from the body, you kind of have to be somewhat far from your body in order to create enough oomph to prevent any flashing (those who knows how this particular p*ll works will understand what I'm talking about here).

The get ready I never found to be that much of a problem because I would have had it ready to go long before I do the vanish. Retrieving the object is kind of a pain in the tush so I usually just vanished my own things or something I have a dupe of already loaded in an impossible location.

I did find the thing you use to hold on to objects to not have that great of a life expectancy so that's actually the main reason I stopped using it, because I didn't want to carry around a bunch of those things due to having to constantly replace the thing.
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Bande
I sadly bought the original too -- found it terrible and ended up giving it away to a friend -- 2 months later he asked me if I was OK with him giving it away too. So, unless this pro version radically different and improved my advice is a hard pass
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
How is it that this is the third time this hunk of junk has been released and everytime it's like amnesia by the shops and sellers. Shame
kiketron
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of kiketron
Hi Titanas.
Is the flash light gimmick included in the pro set?

Thanks
Step into the unknown
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I don't understand all of the hate - someone explain it to me - isn't this just a "sticky" version of a RAVEN? A raven is limited by only being able to use it with magnets, I would "think" raven users would love this for paper money and small non-magnetic objects.

????
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2018, DavidKenney wrote:
I don't understand all of the hate - someone explain it to me - isn't this just a "sticky" version of a RAVEN? A raven is limited by only being able to use it with magnets, I would "think" raven users would love this for paper money and small non-magnetic objects.

????

They problem is that much of the same people also tend to not be happy when they first discover holdouts and p*lls. There were a good amount of people that complained about the Raven when the Raven first came out. It's possibly one of those scenarios where the effect looks really cool but the method when one learns it is so lo-tech that they are disappointed at the method.

One strike against Gecko, the bottle vanish is a bit not practical or safe to do in real life. It's simply too large of an object and has too much weight. It's not impossible to do but I don't trust vanishing bottles with it. It also makes it harder to use for vanishing smaller objects because for a bottle vanish to look good with it, you have to set the ten*i*n really high.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2018, Joshua Barrett wrote:
How is it that this is the third time this hunk of junk has been released and everytime it's like amnesia by the shops and sellers. Shame

Here, let's refresh some memories with good ol' reviews- http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1941
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Titanas is here promoting it, so it must be good.

Please ignore all of the 1 star reviews, OK?

They clearly didn't practice enough.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
342 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:

????

Sorry David, but comparing the gecko to a 'sticky raven' seriously undermines your credibility as a sponsored product reviewer.

The Raven is a tried and tested worker, it achieves what it was intended to do (vanish), and many magicians still use it to this day. The gecko is cumbersome, awkward get ready position, and it can't vanish objects the way it is shown in the trailer. Misleading advertising. Also, retrieving the item is a lot more difficult, and could even damage the item itself. Paper money? You'll rip it trying to remove it from the gimmick if you use the items supplied in the box. Not to mention that you have to refill it.

Perhaps you are initiating damage control because the Gecko is next on your list of reviews you have to make?
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Fat - I have no experience with a gecko whatsoever I was just asking a question. I might be getting one in the future, but so far I have not seen one "in person" THANKS for your input.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1987 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2018, Jack Straw wrote:

Well Yes If Titanas is Pitching it must be Good

If I remember Last Time he said

and something along the Lines its the best thing since sliced bread

A few weeks after that I went to the Magic Circle Dealers day and none Of the dealers wanted to dem it when I asked why Peter from Alakazam said that unless everyone in the hall was standing in front of him this is next to useless!

but hey what does Peter know he is only the Top dealer in the UK

As Pointed out If Titanas is here promoting it, so it must be good.

If anyone happens to Bump into Titanas I am sure he would Jump at the Chance to show how great this is
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2018, Jack Straw wrote:

Well Yes If Titanas is Pitching it must be Good

If I remember Last Time he said

and something along the Lines its the best thing since sliced bread

A few weeks after that I went to the Magic Circle Dealers day and none Of the dealers wanted to dem it when I asked why Peter from Alakazam said that unless everyone in the hall was standing in front of him this is next to useless!

but hey what does Peter know he is only the Top dealer in the UK

As Pointed out If Titanas is here promoting it, so it must be good.

If anyone happens to Bump into Titanas I am sure he would Jump at the Chance to show how great this is

I would agree with Nardi there. The angles are pretty limited with Gecko. They basically have to be looking directly down from top.
efrados
View Profile
Regular user
Montevideo, Uruguay
119 Posts

Profile of efrados
Quote:

????

Pros for Raven
Raven - if you don't use the magnet or if you use it too much, is not going to change the amount of force that the magnet has - Gecko - you have to change the sticky dot almost every time,
Raven - you can show both sides of your hands with the gimmick on - Gecko - you can't even spread your fingers with the gimmick on
Raven - The trailer shows everything you can do ( change or disappear small objects ) - Gecko - shows you imposible stuff that you won't be able to do... even on the instructions says don't use cellphones or bottles because they might fall and break so you shouldn't do it.
Raven - USD30 - Gecko - USD60

Cons for Raven
you can only use magnetic stuff ... but you can attach a shim
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
I was a huge proponent of the Gecko ten years ago when it first came out, still think it's one of the better designs out there.
I'm wondering how the new system differs, might buy it again just to see how all the new stuff works.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gecko Pro by Jim Rosenbaum (28 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL