The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Egg Bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I showed my Ambitious Card egg bag to some old-timers at the club. They were convinced that I had a Fabric Manipulations bag. It's nice!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
"Imitation is the sincerest of flattery." Charles Caleb Colton

I guess I should feel very flattered, considering two of the above mentioned manufacturers had one my egg bags prior to releasing their "own" designs. This is why you will notice some uncanny similarities when comparing their egg bags to mine. I know that I do not own the exclusive rights to the egg bag, however, I do have the exclusive rights to manufacture Johnny Thompson's egg bag. (Sorry, I had to finally publicly get that off my chest.)

That being said...I personally hand-make each of my Legacy Egg Bags according to Johnny Thompson's exact specifications. However, if someone prefers a customized egg bag, utilizing their own size, color, design, or fabric, I am happy to accommodate. Just contact me for a quote.

Lynetta
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What Johnny Thompson has done to the subtle difference make A HUGE DIFFERENCE in the handling... Can't get any better bag PERIOD.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I agree with Pete, and you can't find it any better than those made by Lynetta.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Malini bag with 6 golf balls and a paper bag. Think outside the bag. Smile
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5331 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I wonder what has Johnny Thompson done that was not done with the egg-bag that was not available and/or in print before.

I have one of Lynetta's wonderful bags (via Denny & Lee’s brick and mortar shop). I have said elsewhere that Lynetta’s bag is amongst the best made. It is a professional prop for the serious worker.

However, other than actual size, proportion (length to width) and maybe selection of material used, what makes it a Johnny Thompson version of the Miller/Malini bag?

It can’t be the nature of the opening to the “necessary” working of the bag. Tarbell clearly shows the inside quarter circle opening to the “necessary” in his instructions on making the Malini egg bag. Heck, this little tidbit was published by Tarbell in 1924 (well before Miller reinvented the Malini bag!). See page 112 of volume 5.

My understanding of the double wall on both sides of the bag was a development of Charley Miller and Harry Riser’s wife (along with input from Harry and Persi Diaconis). But even that concept was being used in the construction of other types of egg bags available. One “Standard” in my collection dates to 1957 and is doubled walled both side. It comes from a shop in Panama City, Panama.

I know that Mr. Thompson takes credit for the rounded outside corners of the Miller/Malini egg bag, On the Stevens Great Magic Video #29, he says to Charlie Miller that his “contribution” to the egg bag is the “rounded” outside corners.

Mr. Thompson may have well contributed the rounded outside corners to the Malini/Miller egg bag but it is not his invention. An egg bag was sold in the late 1800’s (Standard type) that had beautifully rounded corners. Further, within Mr. Thompson’s lifetime, Jack Miller (no relation to Charlie) made and sold an egg bag through Tannen’s that had rounded corners. Jack Miller’s bag was also a version of the Standard egg bag not a Malini.

So what makes an egg bag a Johnny Thompson egg bag? Mr. Thompson brings years of experience to egg bag use and knows what works in making the bag easy to perform with. Thus he configured a bag based on that experience. That unique configuration of elements (size, shape, nature of “necessary, and type and weight of material, etc) that makes it a Thompson bag. I believe that Lynetta makes the bag according to these specifications.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Egg Bag (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL