The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Egg Bag (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
How can you determine what kind of bag you have? Mine is a black bag with a "woven" pattern printed on it to look like multiple colored threads.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Resurrecting an old one here, but lately I'm interested in the egg bag (trying to lose the table here). I know a talented seamstress, and the general principle of the egg bag. Will the Novak book give me enough detail to have her make up a quality working bag?

Lyndon
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
What egg bag do you use? Silk Legacy Malini Egg Bag by Fabric Manipulation
What kind of egg? A blown egg
And what routine are you using? A routine inspired by Wayne Dobson with a lady seated with me at the edge of the theater stage or in my stool.
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I don't have the Novak book, but I do know that egg bags aren't as simple as they look. In order to work smoothly without puckering, it requires a very fine touch and extreme attention to detail. Looking at the bags that I have, it looks like it's more hand work than machine work. It might be cheaper in the long run to buy a bag than to pay someone to experiment until you get somewhere close.

Check the auction sites. If there's not one listed now there may be one soon.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Thanks Dave, I had thought that it might work out cheaper to just buy one, but I feel so much better with a unique made to measure job. Also, I definitely would not be using an egg in the routine. I want to use a door-knob. Any tips on which bag would suit better?

Still, I would like to know if the Novak book does describe the manufacture, otherwise I will buy the Steven's dvd in preference. Can someone shed some light?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2008-10-09 03:38, Hansel wrote:
with a lady seated with me at the edge of the theater stage or in my stool.

I think I'd much rather sit ON your stool rather than IN it. Call me crazy.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2008-10-09 04:23, pepka wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-09 03:38, Hansel wrote:
with a lady seated with me at the edge of the theater stage or in my stool.

I think I'd much rather sit ON your stool rather than IN it. Call me crazy.

Hey Pepka...i will take it personal!You don't get your hand out of my face!
Follow Me...
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I don't know which is funnier, my line, the fact that it ticked off Hansel, or the fact that he seems to not get it.

Relax dude, I was not ripping on you, rather your choice of phrasing.
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Well it's a fairly obscure word.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Well, let's think that the English is not my first language ... and yes,i get it!
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2008-10-09 04:22, L Trunk wrote:
Thanks Dave, I had thought that it might work out cheaper to just buy one, but I feel so much better with a unique made to measure job. Also, I definitely would not be using an egg in the routine. I want to use a door-knob. Any tips on which bag would suit better?

Still, I would like to know if the Novak book does describe the manufacture, otherwise I will buy the Steven's dvd in preference. Can someone shed some light?

I have the Novak book in my library. It has rudimentary illustrations of how the bags are constructed. But, it's apparent that Mr. Novak knew little about sewing - most details about the types of seams and hems are missing.

I'd recommend contacting Fabric Manipulations and have one made to fit. It should be easy enough to size one over the phone, especially when you're talking to someone who makes a lot of egg bags.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
From what I've been given to understand, Fabric Manipulation will make your bag to order. Give them a yell.
relayer66
View Profile
New user
San Diego
54 Posts

Profile of relayer66
I use Fabric Manipulations black Malini bag and a wooden egg. My routine is based on the Ken Brooke routine with a shotglass production ending.

I have the Encyclopedia of Egg Magic and I consider only "ok". Nothing too special.
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
I second the Fabric Manipulation egg bag. It's well made, the silk is the best for the egg bag... fabulous!

Although I also use Hobson's egg bag from time to time.

Can't go wrong with these two.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Anyone have an opinion on the Jeff Hobson egg bag? And the eggs supplied?

Tks.

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
DCB,

In my searches on the Café, people have raved about the Hobson bagg. In fact, I can't remember seeing a negative review. A couple of people said they preferred other bags, and that mainly because they were accustomed to using them.

The Hobson bag comes with two eggs.

--
Lyndon
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I bought the bag from Jeff at the recent convention in Eastbourne. It was expensive, but he sold it very well. He spent a long time on the whys and wherefores - and I had considered, up to that point, of getting hold of the one from Dan Tong, who I'm a big fan of.

However - I had a pocketful of cash, and had visited the convention mainly to swot up on kids stuff, and scout round the dealers.

I don't have the time to put into the egg bag right now (concentrating on the cups and balls..), but perhaps I'll get round to it in the New Year.
I was just a bit surprised that it hadn't come up in this thread.

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Ahh. I misread that as "are the eggs supplied"... I guess it hasn't come up on this thread because there are so many other threads dedicated to it.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Hobson egg bag has been reviewed, discussed, and argued about in a number of places here on the Café. One review and discussion thread (including input from Mr. Hobson) is at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

There is even a bit of discussion on the eggs supplied with the bags.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I recently bought an egg bag from the Ambitious Card. I used it over the summer and like it a lot. I bought it mainly because it was considerably less money that the other quality bags, and came recommended from a source I respect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Egg Bag (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL