The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Holdout Device (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DzH
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of DzH
Hi,
does anyone know where I can get a holdout device (like the one they use in the movie shade)... not necesseraly the same model...

I've searched the web, and I have only come up with 3 places... the kohler costs too much... $1850? way too expensive... Smile

/D
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
You can get a gravity holdout by Antonio Romero for about $200. I believe Hank Lee's carries it. It's probably not the style used in Shade (though I've not seen the movie, I'm guessing it's a Kepplinger style one). You can also make your own gravity holdout to see if you'd want something like that-- read the Holdout Miracles booklet. Also, James Riser is coming out with a holdout system.

http://www.hanklee.net/hotlist/cool.html

http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JamesRiserMagic.html

-- Frank
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22771 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Is this the kind of holdout you are looking for? A gamblers holdout.

http://www.owenmagic.com/Card/card.html

I have not seen the movie you refer to so I do not know what you are speaking of. James P. Riser also made Gamblers Holdouts but I do not think they are available currently from him.
DzH
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of DzH
Wmhegbli: yeah, I'm looking for a gamblers holdout device... but that one shown on the link you posted, costs $2500.... I asked them about the price, it is still too expensive...

Frank L: the holdout by Antonio Remero,,, is it the same concepts, with a hold that shoots a card out the your hands?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The Antonio Romero holdout does not shoot cards out of your sleeve.

What you are looking for is a type of Kepplinger holdout. The specific one in the movie was one that R. Paul Wilson owns.

They are pretty complex and typically expensive. They usually need you to be seated and have bulky sleeves as well.
Click to visit:
DzH
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of DzH
Yes, I'm looking for a sort of kepplinger holdout device.... the cheapest one I have found costs $650 ...
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
You are probably not going to find anything cheaper than that.
Click to visit:
DzH
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of DzH
I am looking for a gamblers holdout device, and until few days ago I didn't know anything about the Romero.... would you consider the Romero a gamblers choice of a holdout device???

/D
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
DzH,

Question for you - just out of sheer curiosity, what do you plan on doing with this holdout?

I really hope you don't plan on gambling with one.

The Kepplinger holdout is probably only good for demonstrations. I doubt any modern day gamblers would ever use this.
Click to visit:
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22771 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Harry Anderson used it as a gag item in his comedy club act.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
Shortly - the new and improve Riser holdout will be available -- with various extensions and additions made by this master craftsman and hold-out expert.

The will be for sale (not licensed) but wil probably be more expensive and have a larger range of use than the currently available systems.

If you just want to shoot out a card go cheap.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
DzH
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of DzH
Dan Watkins: no, I'm not that stupid afterall Smile don't wanna gamble with it... it will only be part of my collection...

chmara: when will it be released?

/D
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Riser has made Kepplinger style holdouts in the past - pictures are on his website.

The one Chmara references above is a modified gravity (Miller) style which you are not looking for.

From Jim's website, he is busy working on his main products so the gravity holdout is on indefinate hold.
Click to visit:
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
What about the Kholer/Fitch holdout?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 15:05, MagicChris wrote:
What about the Kholer/Fitch holdout?

See the first question of this thread. He's looking for alternatives to the K/F Holdout.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Holdout Device (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL