The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jim Steinmeyer's books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Hey guys!

Just a quick query. What kind of info will I find in Jim Steinmeyer's books? I've heard nothing but good things about them so far, and am interested in learning more about the concepts behind large scale illusions. Are these books worth purchasing? Thanks!!

-- Topher
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
All of his books are worth purchasing. Even though several might be hard to find, several more are still available in later, revised editions.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
They're all worth your time. You can buy direct from Jim at http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/ .
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
What I like about Steinmeyer's books is the amount of theory in them. He really has looked at his illusions from every angle, and will describe the process of creating each trick from the idea to the production to the performance.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
852 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Jim Steinmeyer is a gift to the art of illusion. Buy anything that he writes, read it, and refer to it often. He is both practical and philosophical, and his books are quality productions.
I have owned an Origami built by John Gaughn for almost 13 years and a solo Modern Art built by Owen Redwine. Both are excellent illusions in concept, performability, and because of the builders, road worthiness.
I have not purchased the newer version of the Jarrett book, but was told that the updated version is worth purchasing - even though I have the older one.
In addition to being a genius, Jim Steinmeyer is also a humble man. We should support him in any way we can and be grateful for all that he contributes to our art.
Lou Leventhal
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
I AGREE; HIS BOOKS ARE WELL WORTH THE PURCHASE. I originally bought his Modern Art book for Modern Art but found Hospitality (also in the book) to be a very solid piece.
edfliss
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
58 Posts

Profile of edfliss
Even though "Hiding the Elephant" is written for the general public it is an instant classic of magic history. I have read it (twice) and have learned a lot from it. It is also rich in magic theory. Since it is a general public book it is widely available at public libraries.

Ed
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
"The Complete Jarret" is one of my favourite books by Jim Steinmeyer. Filled cover to cover with interesting anecdotes, this book reads like a novel and the material contained within is invaluable.

Device and Illusion has to be my second favourite Steinmeyer.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
My favorite Steinmeyer book by far, and probably one of the most beautiful books ever printed, is The Magic of Alan Wakeling.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You can't go wrong. I *think* I own everything he has authored, and I would give up my entire set of Tarbell before my Steinmeyer books.
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
I got Hiding the Elephant for Christmas but haven't started it yet. I also have Device and Illusion and the book Modern Art and Other Mysteries. I actually built the Modern art using the plans in his book.
Magixspinx
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Magixspinx
I LOVE Device and Illusion.
Very well written book. His hot air illusion is awesome.
I recommend it.
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
His books are excellent, not only by the illusion ideas but the psychology behind each trick and illusion is very comprehensive. I highly recommend his books.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jim Steinmeyer's books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL