The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Jan Forster Penguin Live ACT (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
698 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2018, aligator wrote:
Looking forward to this also...

Me too!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4117 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4117 Posts

Profile of JanForster
As I have been asked by a few: Yes, you find templates and more for free as downloads for one of the routines next to the video. You can leave them like they are or modify them to your likening as you receive PDFs and word documents. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Another masterful lecture. Really great!
Lakewood, Ohio
Bouds
View Profile
New user
UK
1 Post

Profile of Bouds
Jan Forster's original Penguin lecture was immaculate; a stand out lecture amongst Penguin mentalism lectures - and I have seen them all. After watching that lecture, I booked Jan for a performance and follow up interview at my corporate event where he performed some of the routines on this live act. My team were completely bowled over by this act and it was a subject of endless amazement for days to come.

Jan embodies the spirit of how this art should be delivered - he is a true professional using deep subject matter expertise to deliver multi-layered original routines. Each one of the routines on this live act is a pleasure to behold from both a professional and layperson point of view - even Dan Harlan was thrown off by one of the routines.

Bravo Mr Forster.
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
I'm going to give a small review... and by "small" I mean that I'll try to not spoil things up.
Also, forgive any misspelling of mine, as english isn't my main language and I don't have much time right now to review my own writing.

First of all, I'm going to say right away that I'm biased... as Jan is a big influence in my work in several ways. I could give examples to illustrate but I don't want to go off track.

To my eyes, his work is:
15% boldness
35% practical
50% cleverness
and 700% devilish... because the devil is in the details and when it comes to details, Jan is the Devil himself.

Performers should also pay attention to his presentation, as there are much to be gathered from there. When watching the act, I didn't bother to look for how it should work method wise... but even the things that I knew how "should" be done didn't look like what was being done (even when it was).

The routines:

Opener - A very direct way to open the act. You get a bonus "hit" (Banachek style) with a prediction... and the core effect itself is a very simple, practical and deceptive way to go. Very "pure" and "organic". Presentation wise, it's quite similar to Jermay's Danger Ahead or Luca Volpe's Lucky Envelopes or maybe Ian Rowland's 50:50 Fantasia, but even more straightforward method wise. Those who like "impromptu" stuff will love it. This is definitely going to be the one I'll be doing compared to all similar ones out there.

Back to School - This reminds me "Clue Murder Mystery" by Christopher Thronebury, but Jan has several tweaks and a different plot. Jan's version is superior for the tweaks but I do see value in knowing both as they bring different tweaks to the table. I have to say that knowing both, I'm seriously considering doing something along those lines as these ideas are nothing short of brilliant. For those that don't know, imagine the 4DT but no "steal" and no "switch" and pretty much no nothing... not even a "initial peek to get one ahead" kinda thing, that's what we're talking about here.

Do you believe in chance - The method in this one is no pipe dream... but it's so "OP" that even after I saw the explanation all I could say was "I can't believe it". The interaction with the audience is quite awesome. I don't want to go any further to not spoil things up...

Hypno Numbers - Jan's boldness and simplicity caught me completely off guard... basically the spectator will remember numbers in a very "savant" way (yep... I also don't want to spoil things up).

I should also mention, there are extra things happening during the act and he'll explain them also. Even a single idea from a single routine from this act can be an effect in it's own merit... because Jan uses several layers of deception in a single one.

Final words: a lot of value here and I simply confirmed what I already knew would be great. Just get it. And if you didn't get his first lecture, get it.
As I said before, Jan is not only a gentleman... he's one of the world's very best. If you want your material to be top notch, he is one of the ones that you should be seeking material from.

Max Hazy
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Opener - Loved it, tried "immediately" after the lecture, it's awesome, devilishly clever.

Back To School - Jan's take on the Three Envelope Test. There's good thinking behind, but I already perform Cassidy's 4DT, and I didn't see enough to make me want to change my mind. But for those in the know, he handles the first phase in a pretty unique manner.

Do You Believe in Chance - Absolutely floored me. I intend to make this up. A great feature.

Hypno Numbers - Okay, he got me. I perform many number tests and was even familiar with the source routine that this is derivative - but like Max said above, it's the layering on of methods that makes his stuff so strong. Personally, I love number tests, so I will make this up as well.

Fantastic lecture.

Oscar
mystery7
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of mystery7
I watched this presentation this morning and was so impressed by his thinking. The routine with the dice just blew my mind and I will be putting that into my shows as soon as I get what I need to perform it. The thinking behind this leave a world of presentation possibilities. This is worth more than twice the price. if you don't get something from this to put into your showI think you need to watch it again.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Congratulations Jan, this was terrific.

D
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4117 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Thanks a lot to all of you! Smile I am glad that you found material you can or will actually use. And special thanks to you, Max, for your detailed review. I really appreciate that! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
mystery7
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of mystery7
If you don't have this you need to buy it. I am always looking for something special to add to my show to keep it fresh. I love all of the effects but the one that will go into my show is the piece with the dice as there are so many ways to use this effect. I had to search to find the correct dice. If you purchase the video you will learn what you need to do this awesome piece of mentalism. I found mine at a great price here...... Bob Lawson

http://highland-games.co.uk/shop/twice-dice-set-of-six/
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Thanks so much Jan for sharing your terrific material. As many others have said, it's really brilliant thinking. Entertaining, layered and elegant!
RexDeash
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of RexDeash
I completely agree with what has been said above and wholeheartedly recommend this. It's both amusing and kind of sad that there are only two pages about this while the latest propless miracle gets so much discussion.

As for the routines themselves, they are absolutely brilliant! The thinking behind each one is sublime and you can see Jan's real world experience of actually performing this material shine through. The details he gives in each routine, especially Back to School are very concise and as he says in the explanation "learnt the hard way". All of the material plays extremely strong and is simple to perform mechanically but the actual performance requires a lot of practice, as it should Smile. Hypnotic Numbers actually fooled me for a minute before I realized what had to be going on and then couldn't help smiling at the sheer brilliance of Jan's thinking and structuring.

More than the effects themselves, for me the main thing to take away was the way Jan structures and layers the methods effortlessly until they become unfathomable for the audience, yet retaining the simplicity of the effect itself and not convoluting it with unnecessary procedure. That's not an easy thing to do, but thankfully Jan gives us plenty of examples on how we can do it. The thing with each routine is that it looks exactly as it should if one was doing it for real and that is something we all should strive for.

Finally, all I can say is, that it was absolutely amazing!

Thanks Jan!

P.S - Just for completeness and crediting's sake - The additional hit in the Opener is Max Maven's Disposable Color first published in The Red Book Of Mentalism in 1977, later reprinted in Prism.
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1151 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
It's always a great learning experience watching Jan perform. He is a true master and understands exactly how an effect should be presented.

He is also one of the most knowledgeable mentalists I've ever met.

Do not miss this!
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
444 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
What I love about this lecture (and Jan's work in general) is the layering of methods and the very careful detail of thought put into every aspect so even what appears straightforward is very cunningly constructed. Well done Jan!

(looking forward to when your book comes out in English)
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
218 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
The best mentalism video I have seen this year. (All I do is mentalism) I love the layering of principals. The final effect fooled me.
CardCarrier
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of CardCarrier
Great lecture — amazing material! Definitely one of my favourites - the last effect left me completely puzzled.
joenex
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of joenex
Although biased as I have seen Jan several times life on stage and also lecturing, I’ve to state that this is another great performance and lecture of Jan! He fooled me more than once, his strategies and subtleties are simply (as usual for him) superb. So much to learn!
Joe Nex
Germany
Mobius
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Mobius
Have finally got around to watching the whole download. Like incredibly rich chocolate, I needed to make my way through this slowly and savor each segment.
Along with everyone else I was completely fooled by Hypno Numbers. Better still I enjoyed the explanation and thinking behind it just as much. Masterful. Also toying with all the possibilities inherent in Do You Believe In Chance. All in all a great lecture. Thanks Jan for sharing.
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1048 Posts

Profile of helder
Great lecture. Jan do you use Hypno Numbers in close up ? Looks like it can work with big tables, maybe smaller cards.
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Jan Forster Penguin Live ACT (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL