The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Halloween strolling...outside. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
So I'm doing strolling magic for a Halloween event. And its outside.
In Minnesota. So expect darkness, wind and temps on the 40's and 50's.
And in a jacket, cap and maybe even gloves.

Those are the working conditions; I see some disadvantages, but can you see any advantages?
( wearing a coat, halloween theme, etc.)
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Advantages: Knit caps make great egg-bags. Small Halloween pumpkins can replace eggs in the egg-bag trick performed with a hat. There are plenty of Halloween strolling ideas you can easily make yourself on my web site.

Gloves can not only be tossed up in the air and turned into realistic spring flower bouquets that you can learn how to make on my web site, but also turn into a big pile of orange sponge balls, which you then pretend to pluck free and use in a mini-sponge pumpkin routine. Unlike spring flowers which all have to be refolded neatly to perform it again, the orange sponge balls quickly reload back inside the glove from whence they sprang. Even easier if you wear mittens instead of gloves.

Don't forget to wear a scarf. You can use it to cut in half and restore again, or for a variety of rope knot tricks. If you know how to perform dove magic, you could use the scarf to produce a stuffed penguin in each hand, and joke that it's so cold the penguins are frozen stiff. You could also do a Professor's Nightmare with three skinny scarfs which you claim were left behind by the Three Bears.

The biggest advantage is that you actually have a gig for Halloween. Make sure you pass out plenty of Happy Halloween cards with your business information on them for future shows in warmer locations.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Check out the room below this one “ The Sidewalk Shuffle”. Its for buskers and there’s some threads in there sbourbperfirming in the type of conditions you’ll be facing
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I often pass on gigs held outdoors. Doing magic when temperatures might lead to cold fingers doesn't sound enjoyable to me. As a spectator I would rather watch a card trick indoors sipping hot cocoa next to a roaring fire than in the freezing temperatures of an October night.

Alas...you asked for advantages to performing under such conditions. Your card manipulation skills will improve if you resort to using gloves. You'll streamline your effects in order to allow the spectators the opportunity to get somewhere WARM! Pocket space might increase depending on the size of your parka. Your marketability for performing at the Iditarod will improve (I here the strolling magicians at dog-sled races make BANK!).
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
In 1999, I was booked for a New Year’s Eve 2000 show and the temperatures outside were below zero with a hefty wind. I was told I would be inside strolling... Once I arrived at the venue, I was switched to being outside. Luckily, I was prepared for the outside stuff. I did no cards but used rope, t-tip, sponge bunnies, and a coins across. Groups I performed for were just as cold as I was so it was only one or two tricks and everyone moved along.

Just dress for the weather. If you’re comfortable with wearing gloves while doing magic, do so, if not, pick up some hand warmers https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-War......749NTTZN and put them in your pockets (one on each side).

You asked for advantages/disadvantages:
Well, if it’s windy, the disadvantage is if your doing cards, they can blow away.

Advantages, if you are doing interactive magic, ie. Ring and String, Rope Magic, Sponge Bunnies/Balls, T-Tip Magic, D-Lites (if it’s dark), your hands will be going into and out of your pockets getting some warmth. You may find you are only doing a few tricks for groups and you will find that interaction and conversation go further than the magic and you will have an experience that is like no other adventure you have been on.
RMV
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of RMV
I would make sure I put hand warmers in at least two pockets. I do a fall show at a camp with a cold building, the warmers help a lot. I put the warmers in four pockets, two in pants and two in jacket.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Useful ideas...I am finding that often the line areas are dark or semi-dark, so I have to add lighting.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2018, Comedy Writer wrote:
Useful ideas...I am finding that often the line areas are dark or semi-dark, so I have to add lighting.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Home....../3180291
Would something like that work?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I like the warm hats with built in lights: https://www.amazon.com/SnowCinda-Knitted......1MRNJV2Q
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
OK, I like both these ideas...
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Went well; cold but doable and had to MacGuvyer some portable lighting...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Glad it worked out. Thank you for checking in.

-Mary (so glad I live in California) Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Halloween strolling...outside. (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL