The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Anyone keep their pets outside? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am afraid to keep my pets outside because of the weather. Anyone of you keep your pets outside?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You will have to build an enclosure with a heat source. I have some planes by a dove grower, have to see if I can find them.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It depends on how much space you have more than anything else. Hutch heaters are available. https://www.amazon.com/Merax-Chicken-Rab......75Q57QGL
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Yes you can keep Rabbits and Doves etc outside but they must be in a heated enclosure. The big issue is the cold wind. The temp can go surprisingly low but as long as they are out of the wind and draft they'll be okay. I have an outdoor aviary for my 10 doves and a small outdoor greenhouse enclosure for my 2 bunnies. Both enclosures have heaters on thermostatic switches set to go off and on based on temperature. When its snowing and freezing outside its always nice to spend time playing with and caring for the animal magic stars in the warm enclosures. Honestly after shoveling snow its a great place to hide for an hour or two (Shhhh... don't tell them where I am)
Also the drinking water can't freeze. Go to farm supply websites and look in the chicken coop supplies for winter housing solutions. There are all sorts of nesting box heaters and water heaters to prevent freezing.
Bruce
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Wow, Jim. What a coincidence. I just bought one from Amazon recently similar to the one you posted. I bought it for my two little dwarf Netherlands. I like how they hop around from end to end. I was thinking about buying another one identical to put them end to end giving them more hop space.

Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Magicians have been using my All-Weather Dove Cote Plans to build a safe outdoor dove cote for many, many years. it's entirely possible to keep them outside all year around. www.g2meyer.com/dovecote for details.
UneasierQuill
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of UneasierQuill
Location is a big factor here. I keep doves in an outdoor aviary year round. Largely open air, because ventilation is important for doves, quail, chickens, whatever... A portion of the flight is always covered and draft free, while I keep half (just under 100 sqft) of it open air for 3 seasons. My only winterization if to poly wrap the open air section of the flight. I provide no heat but the temps here aren't as low extreme as you have up north. We rarely get to 0 degrees but do have several single digit temperature days throughout winter. Drafts are much worse than cold and if you keep your bird's housing free of them, that will go a long way to keeping them healthy. Presently no rabbits, but I've kept them in the past. Also without heath through winter, but also in a draft free hutch.

gothike
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of gothike
Mike,

a radiant heat panel and a thermostat will do wonders.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Mike, I keep the doves and rabbits out doors, but the difference in weather between California and Detroit is comparing apples with oranges. If you kept your animals outdoors during the winter months, you’d have dovecicles to perform with.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2020, Howie Diddot wrote:
Mike, I keep the doves and rabbits out doors, but the difference in weather between California and Detroit is comparing apples with oranges. If you kept your animals outdoors during the winter months, you’d have dovecicles to perform with.

Doves are very strong. With the proper covering there's no reason why they can't be kept outdoors regardless of where you live. I lived in Michigan for awhile so know how the winters are but it's no different than here in the Northeast. They just need some shelter and be kept away from drafts. The real problem is keeping their water from freezing. A small heater or light bulb in the aviary will help but in extreme cold it would need to be changed quite often. With that said, as I got older, the weather bothered me more than the birds so I moved the indoors.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For well over 40 years I have kept my doves outdoors. If there are wild doves where you live, there is no reason why it should not be done.

There is one thing that you must modify. If their water freezes they cannot drink. In a cage they are stuck! In nature they can hunt the liquid. Do see to it that they have access to water to drink.

Enjoy your Dove Magic!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Anyone keep their pets outside? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL