The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Should the federal minimum wage be $15 hourly? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..15~16~17 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Your idea is to pay based on the need of the worker.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Your idea is to pay based on the need of the worker.

Well addressing workers needs realistically, would make for a happier worker, helping the business with attendance and productivity issues. It's really a win win.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No it isn't when this is your only criteria.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

So your arguing that if worker are unhappy, they will will produce more for their employers?

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If that is what you gleaned from my post I'm sad. I literally said or implied none of those things.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Well then I don't understand because I said in essence, that a happy worker makes for a happy employer. And you came back with what in essence was, that's not true. Please explain.

Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Slavery is a living wage. Just Room & Board and minimal medical.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
So your arguing that if worker are unhappy, they will will produce more for their employers?

I am saying it is not the ONLY consideration.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
How many of you think it will be better if the minimum wage in USA is $15 hourly? And how many are against it?
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2018, boxjumper wrote:
I applaud Amazon for their plan to raise the min wage to $15. If you do a poor job, you'll get fired.
$15 is barely a living wage. It will help people get off public assistance and SNAP.

Ironically many Amazon workers were upset with the pay raise...while hourly wage increased, Management took away benefits and stock options that actually decreased the amount they earned.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Funny how that works.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Easily fixed if the fix wasn't in. You pass a law that talks about total compensation.

Meanwhile Megyn Kelly gets 69 million for three years for staying home and keeping her foot out of her mouth. She's really been a great boost to the GDP.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2018, The Hermit wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, Dynamike wrote:
How many of you think it will be better if the minimum wage in USA is $15 hourly? And how many are against it?

Why not make it $35 an hour? If you're pulling numbers out of the air, why stop at $15? Although I don't think you'd pay that to count Bezo's money since they have automated counters now. Oops another job lost to automation.

15$ is considered a medium living wage for a couple.

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
One of Amazon’s leadership principles is “Frugality” and they live by these principles...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, Dynamike wrote:

Why not make it $35 an hour? If you're pulling numbers out of the air, why stop at $15? Although I don't think you'd pay that to count Bezo's money since they have automated counters now. Oops another job lost to automation.

15$ is considered a medium living wage for a couple.

Not in New York or Los Angeles or Miami and a long list of other cities with high population density. Which is exactly why the idea of a federal minimum wage for a country with as many regions as ours is simply a great idea on paper, but not easily accomplished.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2018, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
I applaud Amazon for their plan to raise the min wage to $15. If you do a poor job, you'll get fired.
$15 is barely a living wage. It will help people get off public assistance and SNAP.

Speaking of Jeff Bezos, just saw on the news that his current net worth is estimated at $161.1 Billion dollars. I don't think he'll have a problem paying his workers $15 an hour. To put things in perspective, it takes about 11 days to count 1 million dollars (at the rate of 1 dollar every second). To count a billion dollars takes approximately 32 years! To count his fortune of 161 billion would take roughly five thousand years!

Also, assuming a simple interest rate of 1 percent, his money can just sit there in a basic savings account and earn him about 23 million per week. Of course, I would imagine his actual earnings are significantly higher than that.

Ron

Just to be clear, Jeff Bezo's doesn't have $161B dollars. Whenever you start with the rich guy's net worth funding someone else, you are showing that you don't understand net worth or business worth. It might cause me to doubt your expertise on minimum wage dynamics.

How do you know how much Jeff Bezos has?? Anyway, the actual to-the-penny amount that Jeff Bezos has is irrelevant to the point I was making. I was simply comparing millions to billions (using the reported figure) in a unique perspective to illustrate the difference.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2018, imgic wrote:
Quote:

Ironically many Amazon workers were upset with the pay raise...while hourly wage increased, Management took away benefits and stock options that actually decreased the amount they earned.

You must have missed this earlier in the thread...

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

On Oct 7, 2018, rockwall wrote:
Yeah, I have no doubt Jeff will be able to afford it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.c......less/amp

"The reason is that in addition to raising wages, Amazon is also slashing some performance bonuses and its restricted stock unit program. In total, workers say losing the benefits may amount to thousands of dollars in lost pay annually. "

From the same article:

Quote:

Amazon disputes that any employees will make less as a result of the RSU program and incentive bonuses being cut. “The significant increase in hourly cash wages more than compensates for the phase out of incentive pay and RSUs,” a spokesperson for the company said in a statement. “We can confirm that all hourly Operations and Customer Service employees will see an increase in their total compensation as a result of this announcement. In addition, because it’s no longer incentive-based, the compensation will be more immediate and predictable.”

The employee who spoke with WIRED maintains they will lose at least $1,400 per year as a result of the benefits being cut, despite factoring in a $1 raise in hourly pay. When WIRED provided Amazon with the employee’s calculations, the company did not dispute their accuracy.

In one sense, Amazon has good reason to cut the benefits it previously offered and instead provide employees with more cash. One of the soon-to-expire bonuses, for example, was given based on whether an employee’s entire warehouse met its productivity goals—a factor no single worker can control. RSUs also aren’t vested for two years; many warehouse employees don’t work at the company long enough to claim them, causing millions to be forfeited each year.

Moreover, the anonymous employee who the article references was apparently already making $14 per hour. So yeah, bonuses for him/her can exceed that $1 dollar per hour raise. But what about all the employees making just $13, $12, $11, $10 per hour? For them it's possible that the hourly raise could be more than the bonuses.

Ron

Ron
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2018, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Speaking of Jeff Bezos, just saw on the news that his current net worth is estimated at $161.1 Billion dollars. I don't think he'll have a problem paying his workers $15 an hour. To put things in perspective, it takes about 11 days to count 1 million dollars (at the rate of 1 dollar every second). To count a billion dollars takes approximately 32 years! To count his fortune of 161 billion would take roughly five thousand years!

Also, assuming a simple interest rate of 1 percent, his money can just sit there in a basic savings account and earn him about 23 million per week. Of course, I would imagine his actual earnings are significantly higher than that.

Ron

Just to be clear, Jeff Bezo's doesn't have $161B dollars. Whenever you start with the rich guy's net worth funding someone else, you are showing that you don't understand net worth or business worth. It might cause me to doubt your expertise on minimum wage dynamics.

How do you know how much Jeff Bezos has?? Anyway, the actual to-the-penny amount that Jeff Bezos has is irrelevant to the point I was making. I was simply comparing millions to billions (using the reported figure) in a unique perspective to illustrate the difference.

Ron

His net worth is in unsold stock. It varies day to day and it can't be put into a savings account. You based all your premises on something that doesn't exist. His net worth has no relation to what he pays employees is my point. People always point out the guy at the top has so much money and the people below aren't getting enough as if it's a rationale. Apples and Oranges. His net worth is the company net worth. He started the company, he took the initial risk. Pay is based on a whole host of factors. None of which have anything to do with the CEOs net worth. Those people that don't like the pay are free to go out and build their own Amazon and make what they want.

I could make the case that there are people I know in Amazon that only make $325,000 a year. Bezo's has 161B. Why can't he pay them $1M a year. He could afford it. That's your argument with different numbers. Anybody wanna protest for the guy only making $325K a year?
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2018, The Hermit wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2018, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

Ron

His net worth is in unsold stock. It varies day to day and it can't be put into a savings account. You based all your premises on something that doesn't exist. His net worth has no relation to what he pays employees is my point. People always point out the guy at the top has so much money and the people below aren't getting enough as if it's a rationale. Apples and Oranges. His net worth is the company net worth. He started the company, he took the initial risk. Pay is based on a whole host of factors. None of which have anything to do with the CEOs net worth. Those people that don't like the pay are free to go out and build their own Amazon and make what they want.

I could make the case that there are people I know in Amazon that only make $325,000 a year. Bezo's has 161B. Why can't he pay them $1M a year. He could afford it. That's your argument with different numbers. Anybody wanna protest for the guy only making $325K a year?

Not sure why you're not getting this. Forget Bezos. Forget "dollars". Forget "stock". I simply heard a large number and thought of a unique way to visualize it (by imagining how long it would take to count to that number). To make this anything more than that is reading more into it than is necessary.

And in case you don't know, Bezos has indeed raised the minimum wage for all of his employees to $15 an hour. Good for him. Personally, I don't have a dog in the fight. It's his company and he could do what he wants. Again, my interest in posting was to illustrate, in a unique way, the difference between one large number and another much larger number.

Ron
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
His net worth is in unsold stock. It varies day to day and it can't be put into a savings account. You based all your premises on something that doesn't exist.

Bezos's wealth should only be judged by how much pocket change he has on a Sunday morning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Should the federal minimum wage be $15 hourly? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL