The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Should the federal minimum wage be $15 hourly? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2018, landmark wrote:
... In fact, part of the point of the American Revolution was that some didn't believe in an aristocracy where some were treated better than others.

Not sure about that landmark. Which revolution was that? We hold these truths to be self evident, so get to the back of the bus and go back to your owner and master, Mister Douglas.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
...No, not simple when the system is set up so that most people...

So, what are you doing to establish and alternative that folks might find appealing?

I'm satisfied with what I am doing at this point in my life. Are you?

Quote:
And in the mean time are you propagating "the system"? Indoctrinating others into "the system"?

One of the fundamental features of Capitalism as Gramsci and others have pointed out is its ability to reproduce and transform itself while maintaining its unequal class structure intact. One cannot be a member of a capitalist society and not in some respects help to reproduce it. Given that, I do the best I can. See above.

Quote:
Getting back to the OP and his valid question - if the minimum wage goes up - I'm guessing prices would go up as well.

Yes, prices may go up, for a while anyway. Then some capitalist will undercut those who raised their prices and lower his or hers, and prices will come down again, albeit probably at a somewhat higher level than the pre-wage increase. The relevant question is whether workers will have decreased buying power because of that. Empirically, the answer is that increased minimum wage increases buying power. I have never seen a labor movement demand that the minimum wage be lowered or abolished in order to increase their buying power and standard of living. No one is marching in the street on that. The pressure to abolish minimum wage laws comes from the Owner class.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
... In fact, part of the point of the American Revolution was that some didn't believe in an aristocracy where some were treated better than others.

Not sure about that landmark. Which revolution was that? We hold these truths to be self evident, so get to the back of the bus and go back to your owner and master, Mister Douglas.

Oh yes, we agree on that, John. I'm talking about rhetoric. But yes the capitalists were still wrangling about their "property rights" as they compromised with 3/5 ths.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2018, funsway wrote:
The answer is for the individual to make themselves worth more - not to expect more for doing less.
Bob
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
It's already been established that more worth of an employee DOESN'T necessarily equal higher wages. The job market and unemployment rate, as well as many other factors, will affect what employers are willing to pay.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
It's already been established that more worth of an employee DOESN'T necessarily equal higher wages. The job market and unemployment rate, as well as many other factors, will affect what employers are willing to pay.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, except death and taxes. And life is a constant struggle of ups and down. But those that try have a better shot than those that don't. These are words I know you don't like, and I apologize for that. Feel free to dismis this comment as you please.
Bob
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 13, 2018, Intrepid wrote:
Quote:

Nothing in life is guaranteed, except death and taxes. And life is a constant struggle of ups and down. But those that try have a better shot than those that don't.

I can show you ways to not pay taxes but I do agree, that trying to change ones station in life through education and personal growth is a positive and worthwhile goal. I will also concede, that good character, education and a positive attitude SHOULD equal more success in life but often doesn't.

Come to think of it, I can show you how to avoid death also.

The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2018, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Median income $60K, $30hr. It means nothing in practical terms for the vast majority of workers.

Citations please.

The U.S. Census Bureau reported in September 2017 that real median household income was $59,039 in 2016, exceeding any previous year.
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
Quote:
So the owners needs are met. Since they own the company.

Good, so we're getting a little bit closer to the truth--under the present system the personal needs that are being met are the Owners' needs, not the Workers' needs.

Quote:
You don't like it? Don't work for them. It is really simple.

No, not simple when the system is set up so that most people must work for others in order to survive, while others--yes, the 1%--get all of their personal needs met. Most civilized folks for the last few centuries have agreed--in rhetoric at least--that the idea of Royalty, the idea of a special class which gets their personal needs met while the rest struggle to meet the basic needs of life, is something that should have gone out with the French Revolution.

So your question again about the exact dollar amount of the minimum wage--I see you want to know if I have I stopped beating my wife, yes or no.

Until businesses are owned, operated, and run collectively, the minimum wage should be--as has been stated many times before in this thread--an amount that allows a worker to live a sustainable life. As has been pointed out above, again many times, the poverty line calculations exist, as do calculations that are some multiple of that.

Yes, you can throw in the tired red herring that localities differ as to their standards of living. Anyone who is actually interested in helping people would know that can be dealt with in many ways, rather than use it as an excuse to do nothing.

A whole lot of assumption packed in here. Everyone will work for someone - boss, government, politburo, customer, etc. Oh and let's get that 1% again - someone everyone can hate because they have more than other. Owners needs are to make sufficient profit for their needs without going out of business. What is a sustainable life? Who exactly are those owners that exploit? All owners? Workers have the right to take or refuse employment. Owners have the right to offer or not. Where those two rights coincide, you have employment. There are no other rights.
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:

Wrong. An employee's worth to the company always equals his wage. That is the very essence of paying people to work for you. The value of any product is about it's value to YOU.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
It's not just need. It's a government consensus of what a fair minimum wage is for, a minimum standard of work. If employers can't afford the wage, they need to find another option for the work. Things like robotics or other automation. Outsourcing, is another tool.

And how, exactly, does automation or outsourcing help the people who are supposed to benefit from an increased minimum wage?
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

It dsoesn't. But that's of no importance to the employer, who wants to be cost consensus.

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, The Hermit wrote:
Quote:

Wrong. An employee's worth to the company always equals his wage. That is the very essence of paying people to work for you. The value of any product is about it's value to YOU.

You omitted the "higher" from your analysis of my post, making your assessment WRONG! Learn to read and read to learn.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
It dsoesn't.

Precisely.

So . . . you agree that raising the minimum wage doesn't help minimum wage employees. At least, not on the whole.

Quote:
But that's of no importance to the employer, who wants to be cost consensus.

I presume that you meant "conscious", not "consensus".

Nobody suggested that it's of any importance to the employer, and I never suggested that it should be.

Only that, again, economic interference that's supposed to help employees ends up hurting them.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
It dsoesn't.

Precisely.

So . . . you agree that raising the minimum wage doesn't help minimum wage employees. At least, not on the whole.

I agree if the business is incapable of absorbing the minimum wage

Quote:
But that's of no importance to the employer, who wants to be cost consensus.

Quote:
I presume that you meant "conscious", not "consensus".

Yes. Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Only that, again, economic interference that's supposed to help employees ends up hurting them.

I'm not sure that is true always but considering things like inflation and buying power perhaps, it does more times than not?

I still believe that if a worker is unhappy, the likelihood of the employer getting their monies worth is slim. A happy worker makes for a happy employer.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
It dsoesn't.

Precisely.

I agree if the business is incapable of absorbing the minimum wage

What do you mean by "incapable"?

Unless demand for (minimum-wage) labor is perfectly (price) inelastic, there will be a (non-zero) deadweight loss.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, S2000magician wrote:

What do you mean by "incapable"?

Can''t afford or won't afford the wage.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Can''t afford or won't afford the wage.

the word "afford" avoids at least one choice and its associated costs. If you're a business the idea is usually to pass along costs to the customer as price.

? a game with objective to make the other player(s) pay for deadweight costs.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If the federal minimum rage did increase to $15 or $20 or higher maybe there will be no difference. Because if the work rage increases, all the prices for services and products will increase. People are then going to ask for a higher wage again. But if there was a law ordering all prices must stay the same for at least 15 years after the federal minimum rage increases, we might have something there.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Mike, if minimum wage is an issue in your country, how do you think business will respond to price fixing?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Should the federal minimum wage be $15 hourly? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL