The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Diagonal palm shift (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Nah. It's just the most elaborate gender reveal ever.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2019, YRauch wrote:
There are other reasons why the diagonal palm shift may be better than the side steal (in the proper contexts) BESIDES for just which hand its delivered to.

Let's also not forget the name: Side Steal vs Diagonal Palm Shift. The latter is clearly more awesome.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

MagicianInTrouble
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of MagicianInTrouble
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2019, Cain wrote: That's sort of the problem: People would rather use their heads to bow than think.


I had a friend once who said, "Use your heart for love, and for everything else, use your head."

Of course, he died of a concussion.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1052 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Makes you think.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1499 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2019, YRauch wrote:
There are other reasons why the diagonal palm shift may be better than the side steal (in the proper contexts) BESIDES for just which hand its delivered to.

A side steal, in all the explanations I have seen for it is a "taking" action. The diagonal Palm shift, depending on exactly how you interpret and understand the text (and there are differences of opinion on this) MAY be more of a "leaving" action, thus making the left hand in a DPS less suspicious than the right hand in a side steal, in my opinion. Again, some say the left hand also does some of the action during a DPS, but it's still not ALL of the action.


Last night I was jamming with a guy who did the DPS unprompted (turns he received personal instruction from Vernon). I said I was not a fan (of the move), and we talked. Civilly. I believe he said likes the DPS because it's counter-intuitive. With a side-steal, the free-hand is going to take the card, whereas with a DPS it's taken by the hand holding the deck. However, the timing for each is still (generally) problematic.

As silly as it may sound, I think having a cool name also helps. People have often remarked upon the "shift" as out of place. A more descriptive term would be "the Diagonal Palm Flash." Variations include "the Diagonal Palm Click" and "the Diagonal Palm oh **** it bowed the wrong way."
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
You can delay the steal on a DPS much the same way that Marlo used to delay bottom palms. Take it in the right hand, sweep something off the table (or whatever), then plant in the left hand, doing the action. I suspect it works better on bottom palms, but it's not terrible using a deck-squaring action, with respect to Steve Draun.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
You can delay the steal on a DPS much the same way that Marlo used to delay bottom palms. Take it in the right hand, sweep something off the table (or whatever), then plant in the left hand, doing the action.


It also makes the name even more awesome, "Sweep Delay Plant Diagonal Palm Shift"

Joking aside, for the "whatever" that Burnaby mentioned, I ask the spectator, "Do you know how to shuffle the cards?"

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5989 Posts

Profile of magicfish
If the hand holding the deck is "taking" it hasn't been mastered.
If it flashes or clicks it hasn't been mastered.
If it bows the wrong way it hasn't been mastered.
Are you certain this person was a student of Vernon?
The fact that you were "jamming" rather than sessioning paints an interesting picture. I always suspected you were quite young by your irreverent attitude toward the masters. now we know. Must've been quite an age gap at your session.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. The older master teaching the you her practitioner is a wonderful thing.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1052 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, magicfish wrote:
The fact that you were "jamming" rather than sessioning paints an interesting picture. I always suspected you were quite young by your irreverent attitude toward the masters. now we know. Must've been quite an age gap at your session.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. The older master teaching the you her practitioner is a wonderful thing.


Reading this gave me a brain tumor. "Jamming" is a Jazz Age term and says nothing about someone's age (not that that matters at all, considering there are countless older magicians who are god-awful).
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5989 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, magicfish wrote:
The fact that you were "jamming" rather than sessioning paints an interesting picture. I always suspected you were quite young by your irreverent attitude toward the masters. now we know. Must've been quite an age gap at your session.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. The older master teaching the you her practitioner is a wonderful thing.


Reading this gave me a brain tumor. "Jamming" is a Jazz Age term and says nothing about someone's age (not that that matters at all, considering there are countless older magicians who are god-awful).

This shows your approximate age as well- not a bad thing. Jamming is indeed an age old term in music- but not in magic. Now you know.
No biggie, Justin.
Happy sessioning.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1052 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, magicfish wrote:
The fact that you were "jamming" rather than sessioning paints an interesting picture. I always suspected you were quite young by your irreverent attitude toward the masters. now we know. Must've been quite an age gap at your session.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. The older master teaching the you her practitioner is a wonderful thing.


Reading this gave me a brain tumor. "Jamming" is a Jazz Age term and says nothing about someone's age (not that that matters at all, considering there are countless older magicians who are god-awful).

This shows your approximate age as well- not a bad thing. Jamming is indeed an age old term in music- but not in magic. Now you know.
No biggie, Justin.
Happy sessioning.


Barring the fact that that's not true, why does it matter?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5989 Posts

Profile of magicfish
It is 100% true. And it doesn't matter at all as I stated earlier. Just lets me know I'm chatting with a newer generation, which I very much enjoy.
P.s. are you sure the brain tumor is new? Smile
paradix88
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of paradix88
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, Javi wrote:
So I have been working on the diagonal palm shift but I have a problem with it I always make a weird sound that I think reveals the trick I know that with enough miss direction I can keep working with the trick but I would love some tips to do it better.


This was only four pages ago. Such an innocent question. And now we have people abusing other people's mother...

I taught myself many of my own card sleights when I was a kid, before I had heard or read about what anyone else was doing. They still work very well for me. They don't have names. Arguing about which of the "named" moves are great and which are pointless, just seems so ridiculously silly. If something works for someone, for whatever their personal reasons, then it's not pointless and certainly not a reason to attack them. Can't you folks see that? And maybe bring this back on topic...
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5989 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Are you making any progress Javi?
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
319 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Reviving an old topic. This is not as hard as it appears. Giobbi provides outstanding instruction. If you search you can find Vernon doing it at it's most liquid glory. He does it undetectably. It's amazing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Diagonal palm shift (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL