The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Architect of the Mind (191 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Just read through routine ‘Put a Pin in it” and essay “ To predict or not to predict?” Both from first impressions chapters. Almost 40 pages.

Honestly, it’s a great routine. A solid routine.

Basically, it’s a multiple (spectator) pin revelation/kicker prediction. Easy to follow, interesting for people to watch and understand. The script justifies everything and the effect is fun. Uses multiple people. As Drew mention it packs small and plays big (it passes the most luggage test, to use Drew’s words verbatim) and he ain’t lying.

My only gripe is now I want the rest of the book to read(!)

Such a great teaser though. Thank you for that Drew. I’m honestly looking forward to reading the rest.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
PM sent
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
PM sent
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I plumped for Common Cents Prediction because it sounded like something I use already but ramped up to the Nth degree. And I was right!

For me, it's a great routine and something I'll carry around with me. It uses a principle I was already aware of and which I believe he applies in different ways to other routines. As an example of his thinking I am sure the other routines will be equally brilliant.

Well done Drew and I'm really interested in the full book.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1554 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I opted for the "Social Insecurity" chapter and man was I happy I did. Drew's writing and ideas are clear and direct. His scripting is well thought out (and he explains every step and the reasoning behind it). This routine has tremendous potential for me because I primarily perform in two states, but even if I were to travel further I could still use it. Yes, it is U.S. dependent, but that works for me. Smile I think it will take a little getting used to, but will easily (and beautifully) fit into my existing show.

I really appreciate what Drew did here (in terms of offering sample chapters to interested parties), and hope this could become a model for other authors entering the marketplace.

Kudos to you, Drew. I know this book will be a success for you and a great resource for those of us in the mentalism community.

Preston
whistleandthumb
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of whistleandthumb
Mate - trying to send you a PM but your box is full?? (Makes sense based on the popularity of this thread!!)
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Manos Kartsakis
Whistleandthumb you need to have more than 50 posts on your account in order to take up Drew on this offer. If you have an older account than the one you are using now with more posts, I suggest you try that one. Smile
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Everyone on the Café is PMing Drew! Your PMs are maxed out, brother.

-AH
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
So I’m new to this whole PM thing (haha) - I thought that I’d been keeping up on clearing out the inbox but didn’t realize that I had to empty the trash folder too!

Commence with the messaging! Smile

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Just wanted to chime in and say I have never had a book open my mind and change my perspective as much as this book.

I am working on a new show from the ground up and this book has completely changed how I approach my scripting, and that’s not even the main focus of the book. However, Drew’s scripting is just so solid that it made me reevaluate my routines and how I approach my performance. This book is a treasure trove of information even beyond the incredible effects (I am adding a couple of his effects into my show as well.)

When you purchase the book and read the routines, pay close attention to how Drew routines and scripts his pieces to get maximum impact out of tried and true methods. It has truly revolutionized how I’m approaching my work.

Madison
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Well said Madison. The first thing I noticed and really appreciated was his attention to scripting and "sculpting of the magic moment" (for lack of a better phrase).

I can't wait to put this one on my shelf to read and read again.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

Full review coming tonight.

Stay tuned.

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

Alright, lets get to it. I wanted to really soak it in and try out some of the routines, to see how they played before actually writing this review.

Foreward by Atlas Brookings

As I said in an earlier post, we get to really see what type of person Drew is, and the passion shows in the way Atlas talks and expresses about him.

RMR

I wont describe the effect since Drew already did that above.
Being that I do use cards in mentalism, this effect works quite nicely, because the premise is simple.
Just when the spectators think that the effect is over, you nail them with a kicker finish, and explain the whole RMR process to them that you were actually trying to distill in their minds. This effect uses a combination of methods, and it is layered in such a way that the spectator will not be able to backtrack the method. The spectator will remember the effect, due to the simple fact, at the end, where you hit them over the head with the revelation and it is different to what they thought. Easy to do. You can concentrate on your performance, scripting(which Drew's is great by the way), and anyone could perform this. 10/10 P.S. Drew shows you three handlings you can do, so you get to choose and pick what you want to do.

Seven Year Ordeal

An ACAAN that is very very easy to do, and plays well for stage, parlour, and even close-up. The inspiration for this was Atlas and Andrew Browns CRUSADE.

The scripting is fantastic, and the effect flows smoothly and this is another effect that you will want to do 10/10

The Personality of a Date

Upon reading this, it reminded me a lot of a routine by Chris Philpott, and when reading the credits, he mentions Chris's routine as an inspiration.
I have done Chris's routine before, havent really performed it much anymore, but this type of routine involves reading. Though I do readings at times, I didn't feel this routine was enough for me to make me want to learn it and use it so for that this gets a 7/10. Will not be pursuing this.

Never to be Repeated

A marketed effect is used here, and you need to purchase it if you want to do this routine. I have seen the marketed effect from Alakazam, I do not have it, but I do assume that this routine can play out nicely for those of you that like this sort of routine. For me, personally I was never a really big fan of the marketed effect, but I did read the full script and method, and Drew is clever on how he does this, and how big it seems to play on stage. Kudos for that.
Definitely not for me either. 8/10 Will not be pursuing this. The effect is about having the spectator memorize a deck of cards supposedly, and they can name a number and know the card, or vice versa, that's basically the gist of it.

The Usual Suspects

Similar to a Martin Gardner principle, that has also been used by Marc Paul, and Atlas, and many others. This has a murder type theme to it. Not my style, like bizarre, but I can see anyone changing the story or patter, and doing it any way they see fit. I would change only that. Method is genious. Trick works. Have used it over the phone and close-up. 8.5/10 didn't like the murder story, but everything else was good. Bob Hummer should be credited as well.

Concealed Carry

using same method as before, but with a different premise. if you liked the above effect, this one is a no brainer. Uses a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Common Cents Prediction

Same core method as above but with money. This is better than the other two in my opinion, and would use it as intended, using this method with money.

So you get 3 effects using the same core principle, if you like it, then great, you will have three to choose from, if you don't like it, then you can skip it, but the better of the three for me was the Common Cents Prediction.

Group Dynamics

Very clever use of an old principle, used by many many performers. This is easy to do and you will be doing it in no time.
Great method, good scripting. Involves multiple people. 10/10

Pseudoesthesia

For drawing duplication fans, this is a must. The peek is covered, and everything you need to know as well.
This is a very unique presentation and premise for this type of effect, I assume some people will love it others will dismiss it.
I do not think I will be performing it any time soon so this gets a 7.5/10

Phishing

Using a list of common passwords, uses a ploy from Peter Turner. Havent tried this one yet, but I am going to. 8.5/10

What I like about most of these effects, is that Drew leaves no stone unturned and he guides you on everything you need to know including the most minute detail possible, and the routines are very detail oriented, which is rare in most books.

You Were Missed

Madison summed this one up pretty good above. Reminds me of something Michael Weber would think of and perform. It is that clever. 10/10

Lets Agree to Agree

Drew takes you step by step and shows you one of his contracts. Rare to see in any book. A treat. You get into the business side of magic. 10/10

Meeting the Witness

More on the business of magic, you need to read through this material on the business, Drew gives up the goods, very very good reading, and makes you re-think some things or re-think your strategy on bookings, etc.

Bernstein Dynes of a Cloud

the routine in the book that most people will talk about, it requires preparation but I believe once you have everything you are golden.

10/10

Social Insecurity

Great routine involving Social Security numbers. Will only work in the USA. I am in Mexico so I cannot use it.
9/10 for the thought process, routine, scripting, structuring, combination of layers

Put a Pin in It

Similar to the above, but with Pin numbers. Uses a Peter Turner principle. I can use this here in Mexico and have used Peter Turners routine a lot.
This will be one of my favorites to perform. These two routines by the way are the least demanding.

10/10

Obviously Influenced

A bank night style routine. I have never really been a fan of Bank Night, so didn't really give this one a go. No score required. Cant comment if its good or not.

Catch me if you Can

A chair test type of routine. It is good to read up on Asi Winds Catch 23, as well as Lawrence Hookays PIN.
Uses envelopes as well. I can see this one playing really good on stage 9/10

Catch Me 2.0

similar to the above with a few additions and clever ploys using stuff from Ken Dyne and Patrick Redford. 9/10

A Strangers Call

This is another routine that people will talk about. You can read the description above. Uses a myriad of techniques, some from Ken Dyne, Peter Turner, Doc Hilford, this routine has it all. Bravo. 10/10

What are The Odds?

Another chairless chair test type test. I actually like this one a lot. Requires preparation but nothing out of the ordinary. Clever 10/10

Afterward by Manos.

There you have it, I know I didn't go really deep into all the nuances, explanations, or thoughts, since this is a huge tome, 328 pages. so there is a lot to cover and a lot of effects.

If you can get one or two pieces from my review that you want to explore, hit up Drew to send you a free chapter or effect and see if this is for you. I am sure you will get your money's worth even if you only perform 1 routine from this book in the upcoming years.

What makes this book stand out from a lot of the other releases is, its a big book of great effects, different premises are shared for known effects, scripting and performance patter is key, and Drew leaves no stone unturned. He basically gives you all the ingredients for you to be successful in performing these routines. I have already done a few of these, and they work great. I liked about half the book, in my personal experience. I would have been happy just learned one good solid piece, but I learned and appreciated the thought process and structure on a few more.

For Drew's first release and book, I applaud him for being so extensive, diverse, and willing to share parts of the business side of magic as well.

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Hey everyone,

I obviously took Drew up on his offer (who wouldn't, let's be honest), and after some delay I'm offering my thoughts on the section he sent me!

Firstly I feel obliged to mention how smart this idea of sending out a section of the book for free is! It's a win-win for the customer and for drew, and more "first time sharers" should follow suit in my opinion.

I requested R.M.R.. and it is a far smarter idea then I expected. The ideal handling would fool magicians and lay-people alike, and I enjoyed reading the explanation thoroughly. As someone with dyslexia (auto-correct is my friend for spelling that word), it was relatively easy to read and digest his thoughts.. which is rare. I normally have to read it a few times over.

Also bare in mind, he sent me the foreword, afterword, and another section on his reasoning behind the books publication.. all of which was an added bonus.

Will I be usimg R.M.R?

I will probably be using some incantation of it in the future for casual performances for friends.. but I have a vast array of effects that are of a similar nature - and to be frank - are suited better to my performing style.

I'll be reading it over a few more times before truly having a final verdict, and obviously try it out a few times as well.

In retrospect, I probably would have asked for a section on the business side of things. Firstly, I have so many effects already.. only greed makes me think I need more. Secondly, I got the impression that Drew's writing style and thinking would have been great on that subject.. deep down I thought this prior to deciding.. but like l said, I got greedy.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Thank you Alex and tomd for your considered and fair reviews. I was beginning to worry that people would start looking at me as the emperor with no clothes so I'm happy your reviews emphasized that not all of the material is for everyone Smile I did strive to include a WIDE variety of routines (from close-up to full-blown stage pieces) in hopes that all readers could find value in the content.

In my own studies I'm the kind of person who could care less about amassing effects and/or methods... I prefer to read between the lines and learn the "weightier" lessons that working performers have to offer. Those lessons often revolve around CHOICES - choices in scripting, premise, staging, structure, and sometimes in method.

I wrote AOTM as a means of expressing the choices I've made regarding those topics to help others consider similar issues in their work.

Thanks again to everyone that has shown interest in the book. I hope to have an announcement regarding pricing and available soon (we are just trying to iron out some of the details).

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

backinblack
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of backinblack
I am not from the usa but was curious due to the descrition of social insecurity.. drew was so kind to mention to me that this is only working in the usa.. guess he had some more requests - so takting the time to mention this issue (what was written in the add - so not having read it would b my mistake) is a kind gesture from my point of view.. as I am more interested in priciples than routines I wrote him that this does not matter to me.. so he send me the routine.. what to say: it is nice and sneaky.. in fact you can use it only in the usa - but it also gives inspiration to check for more detaills in the own country than I did before.. at least it is really so close to real mind reading as you can get.. would present it maybe a little different - but this is about each to his own and individual styles..

so conclusion: nice idea and guess implanted in a brighter appoach even harder hitting..
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Thanks for taking a moment to post your thoughts on "Social Insecurity" backinblack!

Just to clarify - that is the ONLY region/country dependent routine in the book (and I mention that in the chapter description). Performers outside of the US may still find some inspiration in the piece by looking at the layering of methods in play.

There is also an aspect of "Phishing" that will need to be adjusted in order to work outside of the US but I offer a simple solution within the text.

Best,

Drew

jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of jaizon
What is the expected release date and price? Thanks.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Hi jaizon - there has been a hiccup that caused printing to be delayed... (Friendly piece of advice: wiring money is an archaic process - especially when it comes to international wiring - I'll be using PayPal exclusively from now on!)

I should have a better idea on the timeline next Monday. This is PRECISELY the reason I didn't want to go the pre-order route because I never want to delay delivering the promised goods!

As far as the price point is concerned, that was BY FAR the most difficult decision I had to make regarding the book. I've had a number of people advise me to price it in the $150 range but after much deliberation I've decided to go with $100 plus shipping. I feel that reflects the quality of the book itself as well as the thinking it contains. The three chapters devoted to business strategy alone are worth thousands of dollars to a working performer (not to mention, IMHO, the stage pieces shared).

NOTE: This isn't a "limited release" so there's no rush to pick it up - though I will be offering a discount (likely 20% off) for the first 50 books purchased. If the first print run sells out and there's more interest I'll see about printing more.

Best,

Drew

jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Nice!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Architect of the Mind (191 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL