The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gripper coins by Rocco Silano (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2018, John McLaughlin wrote:
Two questions. (Maybe I overlooked the answers.) Are theses real coins with coated edges, or replica coins? I’ve heard yes and no for the ability to add our favorite gimmick. Does anyone know for sure?

------------------

We'll all be getting these in the mail on Monday . . . so we will know FOR SURE, about . .. both of your questions.
They are actually MADE by someone (Roy K.) who uses real coins and machines them, so I don't think they are replica coins.
hektormagic
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of hektormagic
Looks strange that they choose to make such a small coins for manipulations... I think it’s more logical to make dollar size instead of quarter or eur 50 cents.

I hope to see Eisenhower and Morgan gripper coins...
Creator of the Monster Card, Multi Lock, Mystery Calendar, Houdini Spirit Board, Houdini Pendulum, Houdini House Spirit Set, UniPeek, Love Connection and Mental Card.
Find more on my website: http://hektormagic.com/products
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Maybe these Gripper Coins will work better if we had some of Rocco's bracelets ?
Any source for Rocco's bracelets ?

Some orders that are one-day mail, that were shipped on Friday, i.e in California, or close/ same city as magic shipper, are receiving their coins today but the . . . Download, instructions are not ready or online !
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Well, the Gripper coins came in today, MONDAY, Oct. 22nd., but Murphy's still does not have the download/ instructions online as of 1pm California time.
So, someone has time to MAKE the coins, print fancy labels, supply all of the dealers, but not enough time to put DIGITAL instructions online. Geeeee.
The coins work pretty good. The Gripper band is only on the outside rim, and NOT on the face.
A standard shell will not fit over it.
Maybe a Larger . . expanded shell would. I don't have a Larger . . "Expanded shell."
Its a standard/ Kennedy half/ real coin and not a "replica".
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Gripper instructions are. . now online at Murphy's.
Rocco is excited and almost like an 8 year old in a candy store !
Looking at the video . . right now. . . .
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
978 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
As someone who explored this concept many decades ago, I will share my thoughts (caveat: I don't have Rocco's coins):

1. When I was a kid and learning to Classic Palm, I thought it would be a lot easier if the milled edges were sharper and deeper or if they were coated with some substance that would provide "give." I never tried filing the milled ridges deeper(!), but I did coat the edges with silicone. The coins worked great, but the silicone was just too noticeable, even on my most nicely-produced coins. I did wonder how they would look if a groove along the ridged edge was cut similar to a folding Half (where the elastic goes) and filled with silicone. I assume that is what has now been done for Rocco's coins.

2. A product called "GRRRRIP", used by carpenters and perhaps bowlers (the latter have their own products), worked extremely well for my dry hands. It's a spray I still use. Another good option is a solution called "Dry Hands: the Ultimate Gripping Solution". Now I've tried many products and several have their good uses (for example, Vernon's "Golden Touch" for card handling), but I've never found better for coin palming than the spray and lotion I've mentioned.

3. It is important that the gaffed coins work well with an Expanded Half. I don't know what others mean when they say the coins don't work with a non-Expanded Half, as such a gaff is not made to work with regular coins!

4. I strongly urge Rocco and his sellers to show in their advertising close-up views of the coins in good lighting. It is important coin workers have a good idea of just what they are purchasing and how the product looks up close.

5. I also strongly urge Rocco to produce these gaffs in Silver Dollar versions. As for the expense, they could actually be made for the SAME cost as the Halves! How? Use the fake Morgan dollars you can get for less than a dollar each from various websites, including the Chinese ones. They look and handle beautifully and even have milled ridged edges! AND THEY ARE ALL FERROUS--thus, they easily stick to magnets for Hold-outs, etc.

Good luck! See you in a year or two!

CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2018, Dominic Reyes wrote:
I’ve been playing with these through today. All versions... these are perfectly excellent for close up coin work.

Have you ever had a spectator stop through a routine to inspect and comment on the amount of milling or the type of edge on your coins? No, nor have I...

The clever edge doesn’t stand out at all, and works impressively well

Expensive... Hmmm... it’s relative to their use to you.. You’re going to be using these a LOT over many many years.

I’ve spent many hundreds of dollars more on coin sets..
Hope this helps

Dominic

Thank you! This is what we needed.

Can we all agree to stop speculating on these things?
Juno Temple
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
59 Posts

Profile of Juno Temple
How delite-ful! Rocco has set a 'standard' for the cost of prepared half-dollars - next time when, by popular demand, shall we say, he puts out Eisenhower size babies, he can go ahead & charge $100 USD a pop. Talk about one ahead, gentlemen? Okay, I edge my thin Nielsen big boys with a lye-based hard-soap (my dog loves being washed with this) & I get the desired effect, as I have very dry hands.
We play the Game - but Fate deals the Cards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gripper coins by Rocco Silano (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL