The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Instead of Crack Pots here is some Real Science (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
So would the premise assume that all the water volume from glaciers would be picked up by the atmosphere and not by the oceans?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2018, George Ledo wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2018, DocBenWiz wrote:
Interesting about supposed oceans riding, supposedly due to glaciers melting. Simple suggested science experiment. Fill a glass 34 full of ice cubes. Then fill the glass with water right up to the rim, but not overflowing. Now just let the ice fully melt.Then see if the water "rises" and overflows the glass!? You see, it's a thing called volume ( taken up by the ice cubes). So the volume of the glaciers is the same idea. Melt and no way they cause the ocean to rise!!

Okay, I'll bite.

Just like with the ice cubes, most of a floating glacier's volume is underwater. So if only the volume that's underwater melts, the level won't change.

The problem is that so many glaciers have a heckuva lot of ice above the water. Some of them are hundreds of feet thick and cover hundreds of square miles, or much more. Only takes a couple of minutes looking at photos online to see them.

Now, how much would the sea level rise? I don't have a clue, but all that melted ice would have to go somewhere.

In this example the ice has displaced the water already so the melting is a wash. Above or below the surface displacement has happened.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Some say the bottom of the ocean is sinking. If so, that would be like increasing the size of the glass.

Tom
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Gee, I thought that the glaciers were on the land, not in the water. So the ice mass not currently in the water is slipping into the water as it melts. Once it is IN the water, the level doesn't rise; it is the ice that is NOT currently in the water that is responsible for the rising water.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was only clarifying the example, not reality.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2018, George Ledo wrote:
So would the premise assume that all the volume from glaciers would be picked up by the atmosphere and not by the oceans?

No. It assumes that after the ice melts, it turns to water and through evaporation, it would become atmospheric and then return to earth as rain. The volume then stays the same because there is no new water, just change from solid to liquid to gas.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Watch it and weep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEp382HIisE
Supposedly since 2014 a cult classic.
Sincerely,
miistermagico
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2018, 0pus wrote:
Gee, I thought that the glaciers were on the land, not in the water. So the ice mass not currently in the water is slipping into the water as it melts. Once it is IN the water, the level doesn't rise; it is the ice that is NOT currently in the water that is responsible for the rising water.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
BOZO under the sea. "Please hurry turn the page! Turn the page! I'm drowning!" Blub..Blub..blub..
Google: Bozo under the sea.
Sincerely,
miistermagico
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2018, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2018, DocBenWiz wrote:
Interesting about supposed oceans riding, supposedly due to glaciers melting. Simple suggested science experiment. Fill a glass 34 full of ice cubes. Then fill the glass with water right up to the rim, but not overflowing. Now just let the ice fully melt.Then see if the water "rises" and overflows the glass!? You see, it's a thing called volume ( taken up by the ice cubes). So the volume of the glaciers is the same idea. Melt and no way they cause the ocean to rise!!

Definitely interested to hear what the global alarmists think about this?

Ron/Landmark, are you there? Why is this?

Why do you characterize me as a “global alarmist”? When do you ever see me fear-mongering, spouting doomsday scenarios, or even pushing for policy?? I merely defer to, and report on, the science.

At any rate, you could have done a little research yourself to answer your own question. Is there a reason why you aren’t compelled to look up the actual science behind the question? Here is what I found:

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Sea-lev......ice.html
(note - the images from the link aren't shown here, so click the link to see the comparison of the glasses of water)

Quote:
It is widely believed that melting of floating sea ice does not contribute to sea level rise. Is this really true?
Let us think of a simple experiment we are all familiar with: imagine an ice cube floating in a glass of water. What happens to the water level in the glass when the ice cube melts? Right, nothing happens. The ice cube displaces its own weight in the underlying water and the water level remains constant when the ice melts, because the melting process replaces the water which has already been displaced by the ice. This effect is known as Archimedes’ principle.

Now let us consider a slightly different experiment. It’s again water with some ice in it, but now the water is salty (like the real ocean). The blue color has no effect on the experiment, but it shows the ice cube in the water more clearly.
It took quite a time to melt all ice but finally it was done and the result is clear: The water level is higher!
Doesn’t that contradict Archimedes’ principle?

According to Noerdlinger and Brower (2007) it doesn’t because the principle refers to weight and not volume. The salt in sea water raises its density from about 1000 kg/m3 for salt free water to 1026 kg/m3 for normal sea water. The ice however is nearly salt free because of a process called “brine rejection” (the salt from sea water doesn’t enter the crystal structure of ice).
When the ice melts then this is a kind of freshening of the ocean and the overall salinity is lowered. The lower salinity, the lower density and the larger volume.

The melting of sea ice therefore doesn’t increase the mass but it increases the volume and therefore causes the water level to rise. After Noerdlinger’s and Brower’s calculations the volume of the meltwater is about 2.6% larger than the displaced sea water.
But what is the actual relevance of this effect? Does is contribute significantly to sea level rise? Before answering this questions we should deal with an objection raised by Jenkins and Holland (2007). They are arguing that a huge amount of energy is required to melt the ice. They find that the energy comes from the ocean, as the albedo (reflectivity) of ice is very high, it doesn’t absorb much solar energy. Hence the ocean will cool a bit, causing the density of the briny water to increase (It should be noted that fresh water exhibits the peculiar behavior that its density increases as the temperature falls almost all the way to freezing; but just before freezing, the density is reduced. Briny water does not exhibit that reversal). The cooling therefore offsets the density decrease at least partially in the words of Jenkins and Holland.

As they put it, Noerdlinger’s and Bower’s result is a good first approximation in cold waters where most floating ice is found. The density of cold water is mainly determined by its salinity while for warmer water temperature is also an important factor. Therefore in warmer water the cooling effect matters.

Back to the question, if this effect contributes to sea level rise in a relevant way. Shepherd et al 2010 examine this. They combine satellite observations for an assessment of the loss of floating ice. According to this 743 km3/yr floating ice was lost in average between 1994 and 2004. They further conclude that 1.6% of current sea level rise (about 3.1 mm per year) is caused by loss of sea ice. This is not very much compared to other sources. However the authors assert that this effect should be considered for future assessments of global sea level rise.

This one is quite lengthy and technical, so I’ve only included the summary here.
https://academic.oup.com/gji/article/170/1/145/2019346

Quote:
Summary
It is shown that the melting of ice floating on the ocean will introduce a volume of water about 2.6 per cent greater than that of the originally displaced sea water. The melting of floating ice in a global warming will cause the ocean to rise. If all the extant sea ice and floating shelf ice melted, the global sea level would rise about 4 cm. The sliding of grounded ice into the sea, however, produces a mean water level rise in two parts; some of the rise is delayed. The first part, while the ice floats, is equal to the volume of displaced sea water. The second part, equal to 2.6 per cent of the first, is contributed as it melts. These effects result from the difference in volume of equal weights of fresh and salt water. This component of sea rise is apparently unrecognized in the literature to date, although it can be interpreted as a form of halosteric sea level change by regarding the displaced salt water and the meltwater (even before melting) as a unit. Although salinity changes are known to affect sea level, all existing analyses omit our calculated volume change. We present a protocol that can be used to calculate global sea level rise on the basis of the addition of meltwater from grounded and floating ice; of course thermosteric volume change must be added.

Also, Opus correctly pointed out that much of the melting comes from land glaciers, which would obviously add to the rising sea levels.
So there you have reasonable explanations for why dynamic oceans don’t react exactly like glasses of freshwater with ice cubes in a controlled room temperature environment.

And hey, didn’t we just do a thread that included videos of Neil deGrasse Tyson (not started by me) in which there was pretty much unanimous agreement on a) his credibility as a scientist, and b) his condemnation of science deniers? Didn’t you like and respect him in magicfish’s post? I suggest you watch/rewatch the videos of him that I posted in which he addresses AGW.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ron to be clear I was not taking a position, just clarifying what was said.

It seems to me, and I am not firmly on either side of this idiotic argument, that if ice that is normally ice melts it has to go somewhere. Not ALL ice is suspended in water. So if a land formation has lots of ice that has been frozen for centuries melting the run off must go somewhere. Seems pretty common sense to me.

But mind you I have NO idea if it is a natural cycle, if man causes it, if it is a bad thing or how much an ocean will rise because of it. PLUS I can be WAY off on this idea and never know.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
In Profiles of the Future: An inquiry into the limits of the possible by Arthur C. Clarke(1984)
page (255?) Clarke predicts Climate Control in 2100.
Humans are fond of hope.
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Let's get back to real science and history again that is not debatable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpgK51w6uhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gkhff2tWvs
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Introducing: Paris' Temple to Science Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEqmfH7z2Y
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, I'll bite again and probably get flamed. Smile

I haven't kept up with the whole global warming argument; most of what I've read is bits and pieces in mainstream media. But there's one pattern that seems to come up over and over. The scientists who say the earth is warming and the oceans are rising and so forth seem to be working mostly for universities, which means they're on salary. And, if they are like most scientist-types, they are so focused on their work that they couldn't care less about politics.

Meanwhile, the folks who deny what the scientists say seem to be working mostly for corporations that have a stake in the businesses that are supposedly causing the global warming. And they seem to be the ones donating heavily to politicians who push for less environmental safeguards.

I haven't done any research into who donated to whom and who voted for what, so it's just a feeling I have, but I think it would be an interesting exercise. Maybe someone has already published something on this. In which case, I wouldn't surprised if he or she got flamed too. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
This is akin to an ad I saw where someone showed twenty year old hot dogs and newspapers from a land fill that hadn’t bio-degraded (because they were buried and in an oxygen poor environment) and people should stop complaining about plastics not bio-degrading. They made it sound like it was an independent study, but if you looked at the fine print at the bottom of the screen, it was, of course, sponsored by the plastics industry.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Ron to be clear I was not taking a position, just clarifying what was said.

It seems to me, and I am not firmly on either side of this idiotic argument, that if ice that is normally ice melts it has to go somewhere. Not ALL ice is suspended in water. So if a land formation has lots of ice that has been frozen for centuries melting the run off must go somewhere. Seems pretty common sense to me.

But mind you I have NO idea if it is a natural cycle, if man causes it, if it is a bad thing or how much an ocean will rise because of it. PLUS I can be WAY off on this idea and never know.

Thanks Danny. I appreciate your honesty. But if you have no idea if man causes it, then why wouldn’t you just defer to the scientists who study it? When you have a consensus of so many prestigious scientific bodies (I have listed them in other threads), it seems common sense to me to defer to their studied conclusions. We all seem willing to defer to robust scientific consensus on any other subject, so why not on this one? That being said, there are plenty of credible scientific sources online where people can become a bit more informed about natural cycles, etc. on their own.

Ron
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But I'm not arguing with them. I don't have a counter opinion. My objections are in implementation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
But I'm not arguing with them. I don't have a counter opinion. My objections are in implementation.

Quote:
But mind you I have NO idea if it is a natural cycle, if man causes it, if it is a bad thing or how much an ocean will rise because of it.

OK, so you're not arguing with the scientists, but apparently you're not accepting their conclusions either. What's holding you back? What would it take for you to accept the consensus scientific opinion?

And would accepting the consensus scientific opinion change your views on implementation (presumably of policy aimed at mitigation)?

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Instead of Crack Pots here is some Real Science (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL