The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do pros use fancy decks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Maestro
View Profile
Special user
797 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Just wondering if professional magicians use the fancier decks or not,

Thanks
Maestro
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
For cardistry / XCM / card manipulation (whatever your favorite term is), definitely YES.

For card magic,many pros prefer Bicycles, with the theory they will be familiar to the audience and therefore not arouse suspicion. Well, that's the theory, and it may indeed be true, but like many ardently-believed theories in magic, nobody has done a scientific test, so it's anecdote and opinion behind it, not proof.

I occasionally use Monarchs from Theory 11, and I know of a few other pros who also use them. They're an attractive card, but in an understated, non-flashy way. I don't know any pros who routinely use highly unusual, flashy backs, but then I don't know everybody.

I know more pros who have had their own custom backs designed, sometimes including their initials, logo, etc. See also the Keepers cards by Adam Wilbur and the False Anchors by Ryan Schlutz.

And speaking of untested theories, I'll toss one out. I suspect maybe there's a generational difference, with younger performers far more likely to use a variety of the newer fancy / flashy / unusual decks, while older performers stick to the long-established, well-known brands. So, if anyone answers here with their preferred brands, let us also know where you lie on the young punk - ancient geezer spectrum.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1642 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
AS a Corporate Professional I use new Bicycle decks each gig, as mentioned above,guests being familiar with this product...
dmoriarty1
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Emory,

I fall somewhere in between young punk and ancient geezer, so young geezer? Smile

That said, I live in a non-English speaking country, and interestingly enough only Bikes are sold in shops. If it's a trick deck, the only brand is Tenyo, which have their own designs. Also, when I see magicians perform (in clubs, on the streets, and on TV), they are always using Bikes, so I don't think anyone here is familiar with other brands. They may be fancier, but they immediately become suspect.

I do own fancy decks, but when I perform I always use Bikes for their familiarity, but I think it's interesting to look at this topic from a cultural perspective, as well as age.

D.
dmoriarty1
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2019, Brent McLeod wrote:
AS a Corporate Professional I use new Bicycle decks each gig, as mentioned above,guests being familiar with this product...

Brent,

I saw a photo on your website where you're holding gigantic cards (I'm assuming it's a Monty routine). Just curious--do those have Bicycle backs, as well?

D.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13317 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
He77 no, I don't.
Imagine how much money I have saved since this "craze" has appeared on the scene.

Costco bikes by the brick, I always say Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5044 Posts

Profile of pepka
90% of the time, it's Bicycles, although I think the quality of regular bikes sucks and I love the gold seal Turners or the Penguin Elites. I find that people are familiar with these and that's the best. If I'm doing a formal show or a gambling demo I sometimes use Aristocrats becuase they have a beautiful soft feel and a classy back design.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1918 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I don't do card tricks in my professional shows and haven't for years. But when I did, I used custom decks more often than not.

Personally, I disagree with the common thought that Bicycles are the only brand people know. At least in the US/the people I know. I think this mentality has become outdated. There was probably a time when it was true, maybe 30 years ago, but now I really don't think it is.

My reasoning is this: Go to bicycle.com and look at their selection. Go to WalMart, Target, Walgreens, CVS - all places where people are likely to grab a deck of cards for some games that weekend. Dozens of unusual designs are available.

And who knows how many people have novelty decks from souvenir shops? I reckon folks are just as likely to have Disneyland or Harley Davidson playing cards as they are to have Rider Backs these days.

I know plenty of people that use custom cards. The smart ones get them in bulk and sell the deck BOR as well.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do pros use fancy decks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL