The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mind Thief - Chris Philpott (a Magic Portal review) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Canaday, can you answer the question that I sent you in p.m.?
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Chris,
Thanks so much for your comments. I am sure this will make it more clear to everyone here. Also, thank you for the additional tips video.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Posted this on the other thread as well. I would very much like to see a review from someone who has recently purchased this.
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of Psy
Also have a question about language restriction
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Thank you very Chris
Am trying Staples this time for printing,
on some of the releases when I open the .jpg in photoshop it is 72 dpi, You've explained that shouldn't matter. Hopefully I can get all sorted, thanks

How soon is Mind Thief shipping?
Ordered from your site on 12/3, I know the post/shipping is slow currently.

Thanks again
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Aligator,
Sorry, Been really backed up but PM has been sent. Any others, let me know.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
I wonder if John C has received his yet?
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Hey Vick,

It's on its way, but if you don't get it within a week, please let me know. Thanks.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
With regard to what the reviewer stated: there are no Slights. There are no physical slights but there are mind slights. Slights of a different kind.

Most of us though have been exposed to these types of slights.

Basically every effect has some sort of "work" in it. Nothing, or not much, is free of any and every method. There's method to everything even to madness. Some easier than others.

Good job Chris
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Thank you for the comments John. As one who prefers mind sleights to physical ones, I will conntinue to consider this as a possible purchase. I do like presentations with a psychological bent.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Ordered.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Have now received this and looked it over and am not sure what to think just yet. There is much to digest. My first reaction is that there is a lot of material here and a lot of work went into this for the lowly price of $39. The presentation is beautifully set on 14 pages of glossy paper with a small crib on the back cover. There are extensive instructions and differing presentations possible. There is also a slew of online files if you wish to make up a more personalized version. My only hesitation in fully recommending this is that I am not yet sure how it will play in the real world with an active audience. It seems suitable for close-up or parlour but not out of the question for a larger audience. It is something you need to play with a bit in order to figure the best way to present it and some audience management might be necessary. However it costs little for what you get and if the sound of it or the trailer appeals to you, I see no reason for not giving it a try. I will.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Anyone come up with any alternative presentations for this complex demonstration? I am working on one now but may not be able to test drive it for awhile as I think this is more suited to a larger room than a smaller one. Might as well take advantage of the dual reality if you can but I see no need to try and make it an absolute miracle by totally disguising something which no-one will sniff out anyway. I prefer to have a better idea of exactly where the participant is looking and might deliver the psychologial profile as we go rather than using the identity theft idea just before the final reveal.

Any thoughts from those actively performing this?
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Thanks John C!

Hey Aligator -- I kind of like the twist in the story where you reveal what the visualization meant, but I imagine it could be done revealing what each choice means as you go through it. But you have to be careful since, if you're using DR, your language has to be very exact so it conforms to both what the audience sees and the spectator sees.

And I just want to reiterate that DR is totally not necessary in this effect -- it just kicks it up a notch.

There's a new review on this -- Magic Orthodoxy says:

"This is a fleshed out routine for both close up and stage, Chris Philpott does it again!"

Thanks for that, Magic Orthodoxy!
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
As the DR is there, might as well use it. I am still experimenting with this but so far prefer a presentation revealing the various psychologies of choices as we go rather than all at the end.
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Hard to believe this has garnered over 3600 views but it is a great trick.
OzTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of OzTheMentalist
I like the principle and the DR used in this, but to me the climax isn't worth the long process.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Here are quotes from two more reviews:

"Chris Philpott, who put the "100th Monkey" family of effects into the magicians' arsenal of tools, has released many other intriguing items, and "Mind Thief" is one of them. With "Mind Thief," Mr. Philpott takes a very old principle and adds layers of subtlety and sophistication to such a degree that the modus operandi is cloaked in invisibility." -David Regal, Genii Magazine

"For the innovative mindreader looking for something that no one else is doing, and is highly customizable, I'd seriously give this a go." -Payne, M-U-M Magazine

Thanks David and Payne!
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Hello, I think the question if this is restricted to English has been asked three times, but was never answered...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mind Thief - Chris Philpott (a Magic Portal review) (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL