The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - A Poker Trick by The Other Brothers (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dark Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
My troops are stationed at
272 Posts

Profile of Dark Knight
I haven't even seen the trick performed, but from the description it might use stripper cards to get the correct cards to the top and bottom after a legit. shuffle. As for dealing the correct cards from the bottom, if each half had the same (identical) 4 cards on the bottom, but in reverse order, then no matter how they were riffle shuffled, the correct cards would be dealt. Example: Left half has 4C-5C-6C-8C on bottom; right half has 8C-6C-5C-4C on bottom. (7C is up sleeve.) Once the two halves are riffle shuffled, no matter how they are mixed, the bottom 4 cards will have one each of 4C, 5C, 6C and 8C. This is not a Gilbreath, but I think it's called a "Stay Stack".

The top stack could work the same way, except you wouldn't need duplicate cards as suits aren't important. You would just have 5 royal cards on top of one half and 5 royals on the other half. The two halves are separated by a crimped card or bridge. You would start by false riffle shuffling and cutting, then cutting at the crimp for the spectator to riffle shuffle the two halves with stacks at the tops and bottoms of each half. I would let the spectator cut the cards, hoping he cuts at the crimp or bridge (if he misses, ask him to replace the cut for you to cut the halves more equally).

With the duplicate cards, you might think it's a one-trick pony, but there's actually a lot you could do with the deck both before and after the trick if you think about it (and you're good at concealing and working around the stacks).

P.S. A good way to force the card that goes up the sleeve would be the Fan or Spread Force.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2018, Dark Knight wrote:
P.S. A good way to force the card that goes up the sleeve would be the Fan or Spread Force.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I've not gotten this, but my understanding is that the performer openly places a card in his sleeve, yes?

This is entirely logical based on the premise of the effect.

But if so, why on earth would you ever need to have the card that goes up the sleeve forced? This makes no sense. Since the effect is that of an open exposition, forcing the card becomes a contradiction - at best.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
...This is not a Gilbreath, but I think it's called a "Stay Stack".

The thing you're describing IS the Gilbreath principle.

Mike
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Note to myself: Mockingbird. A classic. Well worth to re-read. Sorry, was thinking aloud.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2018, Nicolino wrote:
Note to myself: Mockingbird. A classic. Well worth to re-read. Sorry, was thinking aloud.

LOL. Smile

Ssshh!
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2018, Nicolino wrote:

LOL

Also, for anyone interested, an alternative to a tabled riffle shuffle is a tabled Rosetta Shuffle (as an example).

This seems like an excellent trick. I'd be willing to buy it if I didn't have my own version of something similar, it wasn't a single effect (and a download no less) for $20, and if I actually still engaged in buying effects.

The Other Brothers are fun, their effects are great, if this interests you, you should buy it, the underlying concepts are very valuable (assuming I know what is going on, which I cannot guarantee).

Cheers,
Lem
therealbrogilbert
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of therealbrogilbert
Just a quick note that you can predict the outcome on a bill like you see in the trailer for a more mentalism type feel, or just do the straight poker deal without the bill prediction for a more seemingly skill based effect. It is adaptable, easy to do and incredibly fun to perform. I'm loving it.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2018, tenchu wrote:
Quote:

Mike

I remember a dvd called the Spiral principle. Seems liked the same thing.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2018, tenchu wrote:
Quote:

Mike

I remember a dvd called the Spiral principle. Seems liked the same thing.

I remember watching "Spiral Principle and Beyond", and the principle used there has nothing to do with the Gilbreath principle. It actually reminds me of "A Cy Endfield Location", which you can find in Pabular.

Mike
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, fcchief1 wrote:
Strange they say the Vault, I don't recall them ever releasing this

Starting with Post-In by Victor Sanz, The Vault is whatever Bro Gilbert/Murphy's decides, not just old stuff.

Quote:
On Mar 29, 2018, therealbrogilbert said:
This week something brand new, I know that's crazy because The Vault is supposed to be me pulling things out of The Vault. But this effect is so cool that it's gonna definitely go in to The Vault
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - A Poker Trick by The Other Brothers (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL