The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tricks for older kids and teens (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Hello Lucky:
I stand by my comment. Saying there is no such thing as a bad audience is like saying there is no such thing as a rude kid who is not interested in your Magic Show and just wants to Heckle you. Just because you have not run into them, does not mean they do not exist. Maybe it is because of where I am located and the kids I perform for. However, as I gain more experience, I have learned to read the audience and am now able to adjust my Show on the spot and change it based on their behaviour and reactions. I have also found that as My Show improves, I have less problems with my audiences. That's my story and I am sticking to it. It is okay to have different opinions. Cheers!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think everyone agrees with all aspects of your opinion.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
If youra'e Ethel Murman, there is no such thing as a bad audience.
Dick Oakley
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Oh there are definately bad kids audiences, that includes parents. Having said that, there are some things that help to prevent problems. Try not to mis-match the material and style of presentation with your audience, I've made that mistake. Try to get as much info as possible from the client in advance and tell them your concerns and what you need/require, etc. Don't take gigs that seem like a pain or seem like they might not be right for what you do. Of course, sometimes they tell you one thing and then when you get there it's completely different. I had an awful gig a few years ago (I still have PTSD from it!), and I consider the problem a combination of me not getting the right info in advance and not preparing the right stuff and not telling the client what I need, etc and the group having several stuck up rich kid show-off alpha-male wannabees, and the client and adults were AWOL. I could go into more detail, but I don't want to relive the horror!
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

I get a feeling that the person who said the audience is always right means to not blame everything on the audience. I am not. I am just saying that sometimes the kids are just plain rude and usually when I meet the parents, I can tell what the kids will be like. However, I have noticed that the better my Show is and the more experience I have the less problems I seem to have. If you do enough Shows you are going to get a Bad one every now and again. I try to learn from every show I do. As far as the topic at hand. I do some of my Adult Show and Magic I have had success with. Experience will tell you what works with older kids. Cheers!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
As for a bad audience, I have found that (generally) the wealthier the kids, the more unruly they are. With experience and imagination, you can overcome anything. JFYI I have done many thousands of shows.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2022, KC Cameron wrote:
As for a bad audience, I have found that (generally) the wealthier the kids, the more unruly they are. With experience and imagination, you can overcome anything. JFYI I have done many thousands of shows.

I couldn't agree with you more KC. Having done a few gigs several years ago in a nearby affluent city in my state, I found this to be very true with the 13 to 16 year olds. I learned fast that by adding more "sucker" tricks and mentalism to my act, I could usually win them over. Not too many months ago, a fellow magician from our club and I were talking about this same issue and he too had to agree with this premise.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Yes, it is interesting and sad.
Zuzyak
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Zuzyak
Teenagers are my the favourite audience. Because they alive, clever and attentive. And often they do not know how to behave correctly.
For this reason If you have weak spots in your routine, you will find out about them. They'll tell you. That the best way to check your program.
I started change my show when children older than 10-11 years. It is true that adult magic tricks are more suitable, but it is better to avoid complex card tricks and jokes 18+.
So, the best trick for me is mind reading, book test, cardiographic, magic with iPhone, Rubik's Cube.
It is very good to make traps when the viewer thinks that he has broken the trick, but with the next movement the illusionist shows that the viewer was mistaken. Good luck)
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

To update my comment. With more experience, I have learned to adapt and be able to change your Show because sometimes, like a previous Magician said, you receive the wrong information about the audience. Also, being good at choosing the right material goes a long way to achieve success with this age group. Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tricks for older kids and teens (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL