The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best places to buy used magic books at reasonable prices (53 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
I have had good luck with Joyal.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
This was a great help! I did find one gem that I have been looking for.
Wondering if anyone might any updates to add to this thread?
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
Currently, one of my favorite places to buy books is Dons Magic & Books ( https://usedmagic.myshopify.com/ ). Since January 1st of this year I have purchase 37 books from there. The last 3 were the Ireland's Yearbook Reader 3 volume set. That is all 31 issues of Irelands Yearbook 1934-1970 (compiled in 3 comb bound books ) for $90.00 with free shipping. I also buy DVDs from him. I got a Great deal on a Full set ( 6 cases ) of The Doctor Is In!-New Coin Magic of Dr. Sawa Vols. 1-6 ( Still Sealed ) for $30.00 shipped. Occasionally, I will email Don and ask if he has or can get a book and so far he has come though for me. Sadly, his free media rate is going to come to an end on June 1. The bright side is that he has just been charging the Actual postage he pays and refunding the difference. He has over 1600 used books available. P.S.I started shopping his site while searching for a booklet that sold for $22.00 on feabay. His site showed up and he had it for $5.00 with cheap shipping. I check his site out regularly.
Happy shopping.........
mooreorlessmagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of mooreorlessmagic
Thanks for the info on Dons Magic & Books. There are some hidden gems in there with great prices.
lighthouse9
View Profile
New user
Michigan
50 Posts

Profile of lighthouse9
Yes, Don's looks like a great resource. Thanks!
aposjf12
View Profile
New user
New York City
96 Posts

Profile of aposjf12
This should probably be on the e-book section but if youre looking for digitized magic books try https://www.lybrary.com/

Lybrary has tons of hard to find books in e-book format. Its a wonderful site.

As others have pointed out ebay and amazon are pricey so I usually buy used books from members of the Café.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
Eventually I'll have enough posts to see the book section on the Café here. I've seen some decent prices on Facebook, but have been apprehensive about purchasing from there.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2020, bassinator wrote:
but have been apprehensive about purchasing from there.

It's a lot of the same people, and this place has no protection either. So...
dbjb
View Profile
New user
Kansas City, MO
4 Posts

Profile of dbjb
We put out near weekly lists of used books and such related to magic and allied arts. And the prices are reduced by 10% each week an item goes unsold. Our website is available at www.bradburybooks.com, but essentially it is late 20th Century style. If interested just email me (dan@bradburybooks.com) and I will add you to our list. We pride ourselves on helping to recirculate magic book collections to the folks that want them--and at reasonable prices. Hope to hear from you if interested. We are in the U.S. (Kansas City), but will ship internationally. Best to all. - Dan
Bradbury Books & Beyond
www.bradburybooks.com
Dan and Jobeth Bradbury
4545 Wornall Road #805
Kansas City, MO 64111
dan@bradburybooks.com
Phone: 816-531-2468
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2020, dbjb wrote:
We put out near weekly lists of used books and such related to magic and allied arts. And the prices are reduced by 10% each week an item goes unsold. Our website is available at www.bradburybooks.com, but essentially it is late 20th Century style. If interested just email me (dan@bradburybooks.com) and I will add you to our list. We pride ourselves on helping to recirculate magic book collections to the folks that want them--and at reasonable prices. Hope to hear from you if interested. We are in the U.S. (Kansas City), but will ship internationally. Best to all. - Dan

I have bought a number of books from Dan. His operation is first class all the way.
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2020, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2020, bassinator wrote:
but have been apprehensive about purchasing from there.

It's a lot of the same people, and this place has no protection either. So...

If you use the protections from PayPal, you are going to be OK 99%+. I have bought and sold A LOT of books on there with ZERO issues. Just look for the people who post frequently.

That said, the forum is MUCH less active than it was 6 months ago.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Euridite Magic turned me on to Don's and it looks like a great site.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
I email Byron with 50+ titles (his website hasn't been updated). and he magically produced about 6 title, with some of the most amazing price for very rare oop books. ( I won't spoiled the price here, but it's 50% less than most ebay price).

I also bought from Don, great selection, conditions are vary but he stated it very clearly in the listing, and easy communication and fast reply with email as well. such a nice guy.

also try Collecting magic books, I have not bought anything from them but I'm keen to give it a go sometimes next week.

that being said, my favorite place to buy books, is from Quicker Than the Eyes (it has the most unique collections that you can find, and great packaging too, I seriously don't know how they do it)
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2021, MorrisCH wrote:
I email Byron with 50+ titles (his website hasn't been updated). and he magically produced about 6 title, with some of the most amazing price for very rare oop books. ( I won't spoiled the price here, but it's 50% less than most ebay price).

I also bought from Don, great selection, conditions are vary but he stated it very clearly in the listing, and easy communication and fast reply with email as well. such a nice guy.

also try Collecting magic books, I have not bought anything from them but I'm keen to give it a go sometimes next week.

that being said, my favorite place to buy books, is from Quicker Than the Eyes (it has the most unique collections that you can find, and great packaging too, I seriously don't know how they do it)

Thanks for the post!

-Theodore Annemann
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2021, MorrisCH wrote:

Quicker than the Eye can do it because it is a sideline of the Potter & Potter auction house. They get a lot of stuff that is not cost-effective to auction, didn't sell when auctioned or otherwise is better to sell through their retail shop. The pricing can be a little steep relative to other outlets, but they will package items securely and stand behind the product.

I just looked at the Collecting Magic Books site. Maybe it is because it is in the UK, but the prices seem higher than the same volumes bought through an American source.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I actually made a video about this recently to discuss where I shop for books at reasonable prices. Hope it's helpful!

https://youtu.be/Ewf-vRoTfI8
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2021, Dr. JK wrote:
I actually made a video about this recently to discuss where I shop for books at reasonable prices. Hope it's helpful!

Exactly what led me to this thread Smile Love the vids

-Theodore Annemann
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2021, 252life wrote:
Quote:

Awesome! 😁👍
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome! 😁👍

But...in full disclosure, I’m a tad upset with you.
You inspired me to take a look at how much I spend on books. It was soul crushing lol. I started randomly at January 2015, and quit with chest pain by March. I just don’t want to know anymore. More importantly, I don’t want my wife to know... Smile

-Theodore Annemann
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome! 😁👍

But...in full disclosure, I’m a tad upset with you.
You inspired me to take a look at how much I spend on books. It was soul crushing lol. I started randomly at January 2015, and quit with chest pain by March. I just don’t want to know anymore. More importantly, I don’t want my wife to know... Smile

I did the same exercise, and shortly paused to ask myself "Lord, how did I ever think this was okay??" I was not at 11k, but it made me flinch. One thing I would say though, and I dropped a comment on JKs video also... is that these do make better investments than most hobby related purchases. I would honestly say that the bulk of my book collection has probably gone up in price since I bought it, so I do feel that I could recover some or maybe most/all of that money if I ever had to. I plan to never part with my books, because I love them so much, but I do occasionally drop a casual mention to my wife that I have seen one of them double in price while it is sitting on my shelf..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best places to buy used magic books at reasonable prices (53 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL