The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best places to buy used magic books at reasonable prices (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2999 Posts

Profile of 252life
Maybe that’s the trick...have one book so valuable it justifies the genius in continuing on lol. Jokes aside though, I really do reference, and revisit, them almost daily. I fell asleep with two Scott Creasey books, and Drew’s Elementary, on me last night. I just need to win a lottery, spend 99% of it on mentalism..and waste whatever’s left Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Don's Magic and Books. He likes to post a list of upcoming books he acquired on to his main webpage so that you can purchase them from his site once he lists them. The problem with that are collectors who make him offers on those books, he sells to them, so those books never make it to his catalog list.

You spend weeks scanning the pages of his book catalog looking for the books he had listed as upcoming--but they never arrive in the catalog. Of course not, Don already sold them to the collectors who jumped to the front of the line...Scanning his web catalog day after day like a fool believing his upcoming books would be listed there.

Don likes to waste your time. There are better magic book sellers out there.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1677 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I like Don service and advise. And he has books at reasonable prices.
Last books I bought from him were. a like new Strong Magic and Close up card magic by Harry Lorayne in very good condition
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of mandrax
There are 2 collector’s website where you can find a lot of used books for sale:

https://www.magiccollectibles.com/

https://quickerthantheeye.com/all/books
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
163 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2021, Leo H wrote:
Don's Magic and Books. He likes to post a list of upcoming books he acquired on to his main webpage so that you can purchase them from his site once he lists them. The problem with that are collectors who make him offers on those books, he sells to them, so those books never make it to his catalog list.

You spend weeks scanning the pages of his book catalog looking for the books he had listed as upcoming--but they never arrive in the catalog. Of course not, Don already sold them to the collectors who jumped to the front of the line...Scanning his web catalog day after day like a fool believing his upcoming books would be listed there.

Don likes to waste your time. There are better magic book sellers out there.

Leo,

You have hurt me badly with your comments.
In regards to the situation you are referring to, that book came into my shop, and it was on someone’s want list (he was NOT a collector) that I keep for customers. I contacted that customer, told him the price (not collector price, used book price), and he bought it. Anyone that is looking for specific titles can contact me and get added to the want list.

When you contacted me about that title a short time later, I explained why it never showed up on my site, but you instead wrote me a nasty email accusing me of “giving to the first rich doctor that waved a pile of cash in my face”. I’m truly sorry you didn’t get a title that you wanted, but don’t come on a forum like this and run my name through the dirt simply because you didn’t get your way.

I don’t allow anyone “to jump to the head of the line”. Never have, and never will.

I implore anyone that’s bought from me to comment on this thread. I try to go above and beyond with every transaction I have with my customers, but I don’t go well with people that don’t truly understand the situation, yet bad mouth me about it.

Finally, I would never “waste your time”. I value everyone the same, whether you’ve purchased 10 times from me or only once. You are my customers, and to me every one of you is valuable, if not as a book buyer, then a friend to magic.

Leo, I’m very sorry you were hurt in our transaction, but the reasons you give are NOT the reasons it happened the way it did. I knew from your first email to me that there was a misunderstanding right away. I wrote back, trying to explain the real situation, and you replied with an even harsher email.

My hope is that I can buy you lunch sometime at a magic conference, and show you that I truly value my customers. If we are ever able to arrange that, lunch is on me.

Don
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1677 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
In case it helps to future customers of Don's magic and books, I have bought more than 10 books from him, and every transaction was excellent, in few of them, Don provided advise on why certain book and no other, even against his financial interest.
Pablo
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2999 Posts

Profile of 252life
I’ve heard nothing but 99.9% good things about his business, so I’ll play the odds on this one.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
This is the part of the internet that stinks: a level of emotional distance. Somehow, the space from another individual provided by a keyboard and a connection embolden us to say things that we wouldn't say to someone's face (or at least, I hope we wouldn't - I assume our moms taught us better. I know mine did!).

I know Don Bursell [in real life], and I can tell you he is one of the finest people with whom I've ever had the pleasure of doing business. I get it that he sponsors my channel, but there's a reason for that: I admire the way he conducts his business and am thrilled to have someone who shares my values to partner with me. This isn't my primary occupation, so I don't need the money; therefore, I have a choice about who my business associates are. I partner with Don because he has always conducted himself with absolute probity, and frankly, that's one of the primary characteristics I always look for. Without integrity, who are we, really? I'm not putting down anyone for sharing their opinion, but I wouldn't have Don as a sponsor if I didn't know that he shares the same ideals I do about honesty, decency, and truthfulness. I hear from countless magicians around the world who have shopped with Don, and they all overwhelmingly appreciate his fervor to put magic books in their hands quickly and at some of the best prices out there. I'm proud to call Don a partner, sponsor, and friend.

Until next time friends, keep reading!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I’ve bought multiple books from Don and had great experiences with each of them. I would easily choose to buy again from Don again.
EvilClown
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
252 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Anyone who knows me in real life knows that I am about as deep into the used magic book market as anyone in the art. I am a major buyer (and often seller when I have duplicates) of books and I maintain what is likely the largest database of book sales prices and values in the US. I have dealt with pretty much every major seller in the country.

I say this so you know from whence I speak.

Don Bursell is an exemplary seller. I have bought numerous items from him. The books came as described every time and they came promptly. The prices generally reflect fair market value. Everything was above board. I regularly recommend Don and his business to people in our art seeking used books because I feel confident he shares my values of honest and fair dealing while bending over backwards for buyers

I don't know Don personally beyond a few emails where we have exchanged some valuation data. We have never met in person. I could not pick him out of a lineup--not that he will ever be in one. But I have done enough business with the man as a buyer to feel comfortable in saying he is one of the best out there. I have no idea what happened between Don and Leo, but I have done enough business with Don that I trust his version of events on face value and chalk it up to a typical internet misunderstanding.

Don Bursell is someone everyone in our art can feel good about doing business with.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
484 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
I have bought a number of books from Don. It was a first rate experience every time.

I have a list of book titles on my wanted list that I submitted to Don. I haven't yet been able to buy any off that list, but it is a nice and valuable service he provides.

Feral Chorus
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
473 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Don Bursell, of Don's Magic & Books, is an excellent seller to deal with.
Highly recommended.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2825 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I am sorry that someone had a bad experience; you can't please all the people all the time and there are some people that can never be pleased. Myself, I have had nothing but great customer service when dealing with Don.
Don, thank you.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Another thumbs up for Don. Always good experience buying books from Don.

He rates five floating coffee cups from me.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
I've found a number of good books at used book stores over the years. Several of them were out of print and very difficult to find magic books.

Most large metropolitan areas have several. The key is to go on regularly, it's a real treasure hunt.

I just posted a book from Don's site on another thread for someone who was looking for a particular effect. Don has the book it's in.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
563 Posts

Profile of KC
I've bought a few books from Don. Good experience. Highly recommended. Also look for discount codes on Erudite Magic.
BigTexas
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
22 Posts

Profile of BigTexas
I've had a lot of great experiences with Facebook groups. Often, you have to ask folks that you've bought from, if they have other titles that you're looking for.
EvilClown
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
252 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2022, BigTexas wrote:
I've had a lot of great experiences with Facebook groups. Often, you have to ask folks that you've bought from, if they have other titles that you're looking for.

I have had excellent luck with Facebook groups as both a buyer and a seller. Most sales groups are private but is generally easy to gain entry.
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
739 Posts

Profile of qkeli
I also bought several books from Don without any problem, would get again stuff from him !
Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Don does offer some great books and service.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best places to buy used magic books at reasonable prices (52 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL