The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Arm/Finger Levitation and the Shadow Suggestion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
The 'Arm Levitation' and the 'Finger Levitation' are, as Im sure many of you know, Suggestability Tests used by Hypnotists. Such things also make good mentalism demonstrations (if your in to that kind of thing, I am).

I have done these with just a suggestion script and paying attention to whats happening, but ofcorse it can take a while to get any movement in some people so what I was wondering was......

Could 'The Shadow Suggestion' (see Luke Jermay's Building Blocks) help with cementing the suggestions in the subjects mind.
For example, as they watch the shadow go up and down there arm you suggest they notice a sensation.
Then suggest the sensation of there arm feeling lighter and lighter, and that as you move the shadow closer to ther hand/sholder ther arm will feel lighter.

For some reasom in my mind I see it as if you move the shadow accross there arm once or twice, its allready starting to move a little. Then you suggest that as you move it closer to there sholder it will rise, you do so rather quickly and there arm, rather quickly, floats up.

Could any one help me? Is this a good idea, and any tips on scripting?

Thanks,
Alex.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3418 Posts

Profile of Looch
Yes it would help, I use the shadow suggestion all the time with good results, I use it inconjunction with PK time the specs swear they feel the point when the time changes, I have noticed though that it is the moment the shadow is cast, will be the moment the spec feels a change, so use that to your benefit, if you instruct them to lift when they feel the change, that should amplify your results
all the best
looch
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
Where are the arm / finger levitations published?
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Quote:
On 2004-05-05 15:54, bigdunk007 wrote:
Where are the arm / finger levitations published?

The arm and finger levitations are described in most basic books on hypnotherapy. A good source is Ormond McGill's Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis.

Can I just say that these are excellent "suggestions" by PsychoMagi and Looch. I will be trying them over the next couple of days.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Do let us know how you get on Mark.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Quote:
On 2004-05-06 05:02, PsychoMagi wrote:
Do let us know how you get on Mark.

No problem, although I'll probably play with the idea for a while before posting my thoughts Smile
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3418 Posts

Profile of Looch
Any thoughts mark?
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Hi looch,

Unfortunately, I've not had chance to try them out to any great degree just yet. I've been on a few days holiday and have been staying in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere with my other half (No...I kid you not!!!!!!!)

I'll see if I can have a go at the ideas over the next week and then post my thoughts.

From the idea though, I can say that it is likely to be very effective.
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
I tend to use the shadow suggestion only when other suggetions have failed to give rise to any sensation, and it usually works quite nicely. I do, however, like Looch, only use it for PK Time and bending a coin in someone hand - for these effects it really elevates it to another level and there is never ever a question of whether the coin was switched that could be a plausible explanation without the suggestion element, afterall, THEY FELT IT BEND !! Smile
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
As migit61 points out, Ormond McGill has some good arm levitation scripts, as well as a host of other induction scripts for every level of trance. This is a great resource; if you don't have it, you should.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3418 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On 2004-05-14 09:26, Mesaboogie wrote:

I tend to use the shadow suggestion only when other suggetions have failed to give rise to any sensation, and it usually works quite nicely. I do, however, like Looch, only use it for PK Time and bending a coin in someone hand - for these effects it really elevates it to another level and there is never ever a question of whether the coin was switched that could be a plausible explanation without the suggestion element, afterall, THEY FELT IT BEND !! Smile

exactly!!! they never question any of it, and even if they try to back track, they cant as they can only think..."well I felt it bend!" or "i felt the time change!"
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
507 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
Where can I get ormand mcgill books.
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Hi Dangermouse,

You can get McGill's Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism from Amazon. A very worthwhile investment if you intend to try these sorts of routines.
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
507 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
I don't really know a lot about it but I am interested. I have been in to mentalism since I saw derren when he was on tour before I was clueless as to how some things were done. Now I have a few books that I got from davenports like banachek, mind myth and magic and corrinda and anneman and a few osterlind bits. I got some dvds too.

Sorry I'm rambling but what I want to ask is does derren use hypnosis? it didn't seem like it in the show?? and how can you merge these mentalism techniques with hypnosis ??
thanx

Curtis,
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Hi Dangermouse,

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to this. Derren is certainly a trained hypnotist. However, I would say that his routines would mainly steer towards suggestion rather than full blown hypnosis, although he may use that from time to time.

If you are new to this area I would just warn you that this is NOT easy stuff to do. It can be risky and you have to have a real feel for it.

However, if you are prepared to put the time and effort in, then I would still recommend the above book. A couple of others you could try would be Luke Jermay's books Building Blocks and 7 Deceptions.

However, please bear in mind that the methods behind some of these routines may be disappointing to a newcomer to the art and they are certainly not surefire.

Just a point to note is that some of Derren's routines or just that, Derren's routines. He does not publish this type of material and, therefore, his exact routines would be difficult to emulate.

Hope that helps.
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth to this and say the single most powerful factor in making these techniques work is BELIEF. They are not self working techniques and need a great deal of conviction and personal charisma to pull off convincingly. If you say something will happen with utter belief, it will happen or the subject will cause it to happen in their head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Arm/Finger Levitation and the Shadow Suggestion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL