The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » John Bannon's PAINT IT BLANK (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Paint It Blank – John Bannon

Product description: You like easy to do and direct prediction effect ? This is a nice project by John Bannon, if you like his work, you won’t be disappointed by Paint It Blank, it’s a fun and powerful prediction/magic effect. You show 2 jokers to your spectators, they name a card, you show that between the 2 jokers there is a now a white card which isn’t printed yet because it’s still in the imagination of your spectator. When you turn it around, you show a back. When you turn it around again, it has now printed and it’s the thought of card! But is it as clean as that? Let’s find out.

Price and where to buy it: This is sold at $20 and you can find it here : www.magicdream.fr.

What you get: The cardboard sleeve is the size of a DVD, with, oh surprise, a DVD with the instructions. They’re clear enough to be understood by everyone, the move is a bit “awkward” but you get the knack quickly. You’re also supplied with a gimmicked card which has been specially printed for the trick. It’s not a highly gimmicked product but it’s simple and efficient. Overall, it’s not that expensive and the trick can be performed as you see in the trailer so it’s a good product.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkAL-eMvmbQ

The pros and the cons: Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS:
One of the joker isn’t examinable at the beginning and at the end, but it’s not a big deal since the heat is more on the card than on the Joker.
There is a little awkward move during the routine but if you construct your routine properly, nobody will notice.

THE PROS:
It’s a simple and direct trick, you show 2 jokers, ask for a card, place it invisibly on the mat, then it turns blank and then it changes. There are a lot of effects during this routine, and you can play on the imagination.
Any card can be named, you have no limitations on this so you could even do a selection of the color, the suit and the number by several spectators.
You’re instantly reset to do it again if you wish and you don’t really need a table so this is a nice little routine to add into your close up or walk around set.
As most Bannon tricks, it’s simple, direct and easy to do. There is no force or double lift, it’s straight forward.

Overall rating: It’s not the most baffling trick you’ll ever do, but it’s a nice and simple one you can easily add to your repertoire without a lot of work. And you can play on the imagination factor, I think it could be a nice little show, 3/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, nothing hard or fancy but you still need to master the moven that’s why I put 2/5 stars.

Similar products: Sandwich effect with a thought of card is not something common, so I can’t compare this to anything.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website: http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
I like this. At first I thought it was obvious but after performing it I realized the spectators love it. It is good. Don't let simplicity fool you into thinking it is not worthwhile.
Mike the Magician
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
375 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Okay here's my small problem, yes I purchased Paint it Blank received the 2 cards, one gaffed (trying not to give anything away, just trying to prove I truly did purchase it, the problem is the instructional DVD will not play on my Windows 10 machine...Can anyone help with instructions? Thanks..

P.S., yes I did write to BBM..
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Look no further than monkey in the middle by magic Balay. And the cards are examinable. In fact just a quick spray.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
What browser are you using in windows 10 sometimes Microsoft edge gives me trouble with videos have to use google browser.
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Monkey in the Middle is an awesome effect and a worker, this is a completely different effect and very fun to perform . Have been having a lot of fun with this. Love Bannon's magic. Obsdion if you watch the trailer over a few times with the cards in hand, listen to the patter he uses and you'll get it. Not a Windows fan so can not offer a solution on that, if your not able to view the DVD and get not solution other wise, then like I said, refer to the trailer, it really is enough.

NM
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, magicnorm wrote:
Monkey in the Middle is an awesome effect and a worker, this is a completely different effect and very fun to perform . Have been having a lot of fun with this. Love Bannon's magic. Obsdion if you watch the trailer over a few times with the cards in hand, listen to the patter he uses and you'll get it. Not a Windows fan so can not offer a solution on that, if your not able to view the DVD and get not solution other wise, then like I said, refer to the trailer, it really is enough.

NM

Same effect in the eyes of the spectators.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Someone from The Café shared with me his version of this effect a few weeks ago.

in my opinion it’s better than the Bannon version. The effect is more clear and it only uses a standard blank face card.

I tweaked his version to suit my taste, I tried it a few times and it went well.
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
161 Posts

Profile of tltq
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, Maxyedid wrote:
Someone from The Café shared with me his version of this effect a few weeks ago.

in my opinion it’s better than the Bannon version. The effect is more clear and it only uses a standard blank face card.

I tweaked his version to suit my taste, I tried it a few times and it went well.

Send me a pm if you would like to read the version Maxyedid referred to.
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
161 Posts

Profile of tltq
For those of you who have given me feedback on my version of Paint it Blank, I have thought of a way to make the four-card production something other than byplay. Send me a PM if you would like to read it.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Look no further than monkey in the middle by magic Balay. And the cards are examinable. In fact just a quick spray.

MITM is FREAKING awesome!!!!! People have ZERo clue! And so easy to do!
I am amazed at how much it kills and how they have no clue!
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2021, mikenewman wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2019, pegasus wrote:

MITM is FREAKING awesome!!!!! People have ZERo clue! And so easy to do!
I am amazed at how much it kills and how they have no clue!

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAQHsU7tEyo
It's an impromptu version of Monkey in the Middle.
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Thanks for the link pnerd, awesome version of monkey in the middle, which is a favorite for me. I usually have a set of Jokers made up in every deck I use, this impromptu version is really cool to know for on the fly.

Nm
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Thanks for the last link
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Any ideas on where I can get the particular gaff card required for this effect? I already have Bannon's book "Mentalissimo", where this trick appears (albeit with a different name). So it doesn't make sense to spend $20 for one gaff card. I have a deck of this type of gaff, and there's one card with a random face (5 of Hearts) where the blank face is needed. I can, of course, change the presentation* and make it look like I made a mistake and made a wrong card appear between the Jokers and then magically correct my mistake. But a blank card appearing out of nowhere and then turning into the thought-of card is much more magical. So, I'd like to know if this particular gaff card is available anywhere.

*Any other presentational ideas (with the gaff that I already own) are welcome.
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
939 Posts

Profile of andykean
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2022, andykean wrote:
Try cards by Martin

https://www.martinsmagic.com/product-tag/cards-by-martin/

Thank you, andykean. Will check it out.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Although John Bannon's Paint It Blank is presented as a Sandwich Thought Cards Across in the finale, the effect does have some characteristics that belong to the Tabled Card is Named Card genre. Nevertheless, the trick certainly works over video conferencing.

Despite there is an awkward move as mentioned by Alexis and other members, the idea behind Paint It Blank is still a pretty strong magic if the routine can be enhanced through meticulously fine-tuned choreographies by creative magicians to cleverly camouflage the awkward move. For example, the Elizabeth III effect by Tommy Wonder (in The Books of Wonder - Volume 1).

Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2022, pnerd wrote:
Any ideas on where I can get the particular gaff card required for this effect? I already have Bannon's book "Mentalissimo", where this trick appears (albeit with a different name). So it doesn't make sense to spend $20 for one gaff card. I have a deck of this type of gaff, and there's one card with a random face (5 of Hearts) where the blank face is needed. I can, of course, change the presentation* and make it look like I made a mistake and made a wrong card appear between the Jokers and then magically correct my mistake. But a blank card appearing out of nowhere and then turning into the thought-of card is much more magical. So, I'd like to know if this particular gaff card is available anywhere.

*Any other presentational ideas (with the gaff that I already own) are welcome.

Sounds like the deck you have is double-facers. You need a blank-back deck. Should cost about $5.
These are available from any magic store. Also Amazon.
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On May 13, 2022, Nikodemus wrote:
Sounds like the deck you have is double-facers. You need a blank-back deck. Should cost about $5.
These are available from any magic store. Also Amazon.

Smile I feel so dumb now. Didn't even know those were available. Thank you; I'll check it out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » John Bannon's PAINT IT BLANK (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL