The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Psychic Notes (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Figg
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Figg
Hello. My name is Kenneth Figg. I am an amateur magician with an interest in mentalism and in particular cold reading. I just want to give you all a heads up concerning a book I will be producing which will not be published for a couple of years. The book is already written (not by me) but it is a large book and will need to be organised and edited. It is on the subject of cold reading and has many authors. I believe it will be the most powerful book on the subject ever written. I know this is a major claim which might be thought to be hyperbole and it will take an awful lot of persuasion for me to convince you of what I say. Still, I have a couple of years or so to work on convincing you. And I will have to do a lot of convincing as this will not be sold cheaply.

Anyway, the book is called Psychic Notes. This is how it came about. I am very interested in the subject of cold reading, palmistry, tarot and things of that ilk. I am not that wonderful at it but I have learned a lot about it in the last number of years. I decided to do a lot of research and found many posts about the subject on the internet on forums secret and not so secret, including this one. I contacted some of the authors, (that is the ones who seemed to know what they were talking about!)and interviewed them (and even paid a few of them) in connection with this project. I obtained their permission to include their observations in the book. However, there was one reservation they had which I had to deal with. Many of them were well known in the psychic business (rather than the mentalism business) and did not want their names out there publicly for obvious reasons.I therefore have had to quote their words but conceal their identities. Some of them happen to be very famous and high profile psychics who would not like to be identified publicly and this is understandable.

The information they supplied is DYNAMITE! I will have to prove this to all somehow and I really don't know how. Still, I will endeavour to do that to the best of my ability in future months to come. I strongly suspect that if you knew the identity of some of the contributors it would make my job a lot easier but alas it is not to be for the reasons I outlines.

However, if you have any further questions on the matter let me know and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Kenneth
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Special user
UK
997 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Sounds awesome. I look forward to it.

How many contributors did you get?

Any coverage of mediumship?
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Figg
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Figg
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2018, Smoking Camel wrote:
Sounds awesome. I look forward to it.

How many contributors did you get?

Any coverage of mediumship?


Seven! It is a spiritual number! The most psychic of all the numbers!
No mediumship. I am not comfortable with it.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1684 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
So, a couple of questions, if I may:

What is the intended price point? We spend a lot of money on books that we hope will be useful to us, but many of us find less value in some of the offerings than we expect. Knowing the price range helps in making decisions. Will the money all go to you or will you be paying your contributors?

Who are you? If some of this material comes from the Café, does that include the boards that are only accessible with enough posts? Do you use a different ID here normally? Have you contributed to the community? You tell us that you are passionate about readings, but also not very experienced. What makes you qualified to sort the gold from the sand? What is special about you that gets famous psychics to share their secrets when that’s how they make a living? In short, if you want people to give you lots of money for this book, tell us about yourself so we know who you are.

What does this book offer that others do not? We all probably recall the eager anticipation we had for Morgan Strebler’s book on the subject of cold reading. And the subsequent letdown for many who bought it. You have already said this has material that was shared on the internet so I want to know why I should buy it from you instead of using a search engine. It doesn’t include anything on mediumship because that makes you uncomfortable. But that also reduces potential value for customers. That’s an area with much less useful material than palmistry, for example. So, what subjects are you comfy enough with to include and how do you add utility that is lacking in other resources?

What resources do you already study on cold reading? This isn’t a challenge to your knowledge, but a request for how deep it is. If someone has Ron Martin’s material, Richard Webster’s, Neal Scryer’s, and Ian Rowland ‘s, would you also have the same library? In other words, how do we know that seven anonymous internet psychics can give us something new?

Finally, you admit that even with your passionate interest and the “dynamite” secrets of your contributors you are not an experienced and skilled reader. Why not? If you were skilled and experienced at it, we could expect a perspective based on you having been in the trenches. I have worked as a palmist and tarot reader in my spare time. I have also changed my thoughts about a lot of cold reading material as a result. Others have much more meaningful experience than I do, but I can call BS on things I know to be unworkable in my own practice.

You wanted to know how to gain our trust in this project. Good answers to these questions would be vital in gaining mine.

Patrick
Shadow Art
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Shadow Art
Personally I buy books on such topic from experienced reader, not from amateur magicians.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
Good idea Art. See the thread below this one......Another Free Cold Reading Resource. That should be a good start...several essays there.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1684 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
That's part of what I am getting at, too, Shadow. However, I've read more than enough lousy description from very good performers to show why some of our role models would benefit from getting a writing collaborator. I think an amateur magician with good writing skills could be an excellent person to write a book with information from a professional performer with poor writing skills.

That said, I don't know Mr. Figg. A search for "Kenneth Figg magic" comes up empty. Which may not be surprising, as my own name doesn't bring up much about magic, but it also makes me wonder why someone who is unknown in the magic community should have "dynamite" information about a skill set that has so much already written about it, yet people who have established themselves in the field don't seem to get the same sort of information from famous anonymous psychics.

I do also question the idea that it will take years to get this to market when all the information is already written. Editorial work can be tedious, but shouldn't take years. And planning to charge a high price for it seems a little presumptuous from someone who is an unknown in this field. Some of the best books on mentalism are very spendy and some of the best are very affordable. But the expensive ones tend to be from professionals who are sharing the exact material they use to make a living, so are quite reasonable for the price. Bob Cassidy put some really good stuff in Artful Mentalism (both volumes) and they sold for about a $65 price point. Richard Webster writes some books for mentalists that are wonderful material and they fall in the $35 range. Julian Moore's books on reading systems get you up and running in a very short time and they are cheap enough to be impulse purchases. Ian Rowland's Full Facts is readily available and priced around $30. An expensive book should have game-changing material by a person or people we trust.

Kenneth, if you want to promote the book, one thing you could do is demonstrate how this material has changed your own reading abilities. Offer some Skype readings to trusted members of this forum to demonstrate how this "dynamite" material has transformed your ability to give a reading. Record them if the other party is willing and then share a video link so we can all see the material in action. The Café members who participate could share their impressions of the readings to let the community know how useful this is likely to be for all of us. This would earn my trust a lot faster than telling me that I would really be impressed if only I knew the secret people sharing secret information for your book.

Additionally, telling us how this material differs from what we may already have in our libraries would mean you have to be familiar with a significant part of what is already on the market. Let us know what books you own and have read, what other people have vetted the information to ensure it isn't duplicated from in-print sources, and what you personally have done with it to make it worth our money. Testimonials from people like David Thiel would go a long way toward convincing me, as well. If he said that a book had information in it that would make it worth paying for, I would strongly consider it. If he were just to say "interesting book, some stimulating thoughts," I would be less inclined to reach for my wallet.

-Patrick
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9420 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Much of these were my initial thoughts too. Nice to see he introduced himself when first arriving, but to immediately pitch something yet based on his current status seems questionable and unusual at the least. Welcome.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18111 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Cynical post warning...

the book sounds interesting - however, there's been a glut of "character based trolls" round here recently - who have come up with a role, and use it to provoke and wind-up in various ways...unfortunately, that means with posts like this and agreeing with Mr. Woolery's points - mild alarm bells are ringing...they're distant, but ringing all the same...

secondly, its a little frustrating to read "oh these are from the masters, the top of their game psychics!...but...i'm not telling you who..." - well, in cynic-land, that could all be rubbish, we have your word for it, but as per Woolery's comments, if you've been privy to such things, how come you're not using them or indeed, upping your reading game? they could be anyone and particularly...no one...its easy to say, but in this instance, it can't be backed up...

i'm also biting my tongue after writing that last line because this is, afterall, a book about readings, but its with the support of big name mediums, who I assume are naturally gifted psychics and in no way need or use any form of verbal or non-verbal trickery or deceit...so the book must be about how they stumbled upon their gifts and how it feels to use them? Maybe mental exercises?

however, if its wink-eye or open-eyed people who are falsifying their abilities, then its a mentalism/psychic entertainer book, right?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17397 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I can't wait to buy some outdated material I n two years. I'll put everything on hold.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
LOL
Figg
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Figg
I can understand the scepticism but alas my suggestion that you ask me questions may have been a bad idea. I didn't anticipate the volume! If I had to answer all your questions the book would NEVER be finished. I haven't counted the questions and points made but there must be about 20 of them altogether! Too much all at once I am afraid!

I am beginning to think that I should post the introduction of the book to give you a tiny sample. I will of course not reveal the contributor. When I am in a less exhausted frame of mind I may or may not answer your questions depending on my mood and the alignments of the planets.

OK. Maybe I will answer three right now. The very first three which are from Mr Woolery. I think that is the fairest way to go about things. If I answer any more in future posts then I will address the next three questions after that. And so on. However, I might not continue with this plan because if I do I will never finish the book in the first place.

First the price has not yet been decided. I imagine very expensive indeed. After all an hour psychic reading can cost about $200 if you are any good at all. So you would be able to recoup this amount in one session. It HAS to be an expensive book to weed out curiosity seekers and skeptic debunkers who want to know what is going on. I find debunkers to be very averse to spending money so this should keep this out of their hands. This book is for serious readers only. People who can do longer sessions.The book will certainly be useful to people that do short readings for entertainment but the main focus is on serious sessions (which is where the real money is}

Second. Who am I? I am amused that Mr Woolery seems to post under what seems to be an anonymous name whereas I post with my real name! And yet he worries about who I am! Well, I have already told you who I am and if you don't mind I prefer not to discuss any financial arrangements made since I consider it confidential information. I am sure you understand. After all I don't ask how YOU make your living! I shall merely say that I am a part time writer with several books to my credit (under a different name) and that I work for the government. The rest is nobody else's business.

Third I do agree about the Morgan Streibler material which was absolutely dreadful. Quite frankly I find most material written by magicians to be substandard and I have read pretty much most of what is available. In fact I doubt very much if anyone knows as much about this subject as I do purely from the research I have done over many years. It is true that I am not a particularly good reader but I suspect I can do it as well as anyone else on this thread. However, I know what I am doing where books are concerned. I have done a few readings for people I have met but never done anything where I have been paid. But the book is not written by me anyway so my qualifications are not important. I am merely the conveyor of the information. You should be concentrating on the content not the compiler.

Now after answering all these questions I have changed my mind about responding to any more. It takes up far too much time. I may well instead offer a tiny sample of what is in the book. Then you can judge for yourself.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17397 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Moving along...... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Figg
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Figg
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2018, Shadow Art wrote:
Personally I buy books on such topic from experienced reader, not from amateur magicians.


Most books on magic are by amateur magicians! Indeed all the classic books! I bet right in your library at this very moment are a ton of books by amateur magicians! Let us say that I get a psychic vibe of it!

But yes---I know you are talking about readings. I was just teasing. But think about it. The very same applies. Most books I have seen on cold reading are written by amateur cold readers! Some have never done a cold reading for money in their life! Sure there are exceptions but they are few and far between.

Not the book which I have compiled though.I have not concealed the fact that I am an amateur magician and even more amateur cold reader. However every single one of my contributors are professional readers who have done thousands of PAID readings over decades. I have not written their contributions. THEY have! In their own words. And I can guarantee that each one of them has done more readings than everyone on this thread COMBINED!
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
So figgy, with 6 posts, you have managed to insult magicians and people just wanting clarification on the work. Not a great way to start.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Figg
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Figg
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
So figgy, with 6 posts, you have managed to insult magicians and people just wanting clarification on the work. Not a great way to start.


Sorry about that.I have tried my best to be polite but I have found the need for "clarifications" to be overly aggressive and demanding. A little courtesy would have gone a long way.But I have to be blunt. As I have already stated I have read a lot of the literature on this stuff some of which is good but most of which is absolute dross by people that have little experience in these matters. Oddly enough some time ago I read a comment by Richard Webster saying exactly the same thing. Here it is:

"Cold reading skills are not enough. I can't believe a lot of the rubbish that's been written on this subject over the last decade. It's obvious these authors have never made a living as a psychic reader. In many cases, I doubt if they've ever given a paid reading"

This is strong language from Richard who is normally very mild mannered. I must say that I concur with everything he says.

Furthermore I have read the posts of many of the people on this thread in past months and even years. On the basis of that when I say that they don't have the experience in this work that my contributors do I am not saying it as an "insult" and I do respect them. However, I am stating FACT when I claim that my contributors are vastly more experienced than they are. Facts are not "insults" They are merely facts and I can assure you I mean no offence and I respect each and every one of you. However facts are facts. My contributors have walked the walk for decades and are VERY well known in they psychic business. They know their business and are experts in the field. When and if I post extracts of their contributions you will quickly realise that they know what they are talking about.

But please do not try to gang up on me and push me around. I won't stand for it. You be nice to me and I will be nice to you. It is called mutual respect.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9420 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
But you're are targeting and trying to sell to members here, so regardless of your facts and how good you claim the contributors are and their content is, it is more about how you are going about it.

Look at what members here are seeing... a new member with his very first post starts by selling something perhaps at $200 a book. No one knows you, what you know, who you are or anything. So it is a new book by an unknown AMATEUR. You yourself would likely be in the same frame of mind if this was happening to you.

As a performer, we must understand the room and audience we are appearing before. The same is true for here. You are coming into an existing room, with an audience you claim you are familiar with for a couple of years, so many would expect perhaps a different approach and a better understanding. Understand?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1684 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Well, my name actually is Patrick Woolery. I have never tried to make a secret of it. I tried to get the user name Patrick, but that was already taken when I became a member here. I called myself Mr. Woolery and sign all of my messages with my real first name because I prefer to be called by my actual name. I have no idea why this seems like a fake name to you. I confess I find it a little rude and judgy of you to assume and imply as you did. There are plenty of people here who don't share their real names and most of us are cool with that, but these are usually people who can tell us about their experience and qualifications and back it up.

I don't think anyone was trying to gang up or push you around, Kenneth. We are asking exactly the questions you invited when you asked what it would take to get us to trust you with our money for a book that you believe will be the best reference on cold reading ever. You indicated that you know how big the claims seem in your first post, so I meant to be helpful in telling you the exact sorts of hard questions I would have to have answers for before I spent a dime. Then I wrote a second post to give you a further suggestion about doing example readings. Other people expressed similar thoughts. That's confirmation or consensus, not pushing you around.

-Patrick (yes, my real name)
Figg
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Figg
Indeed Mindpro. I have certainly read YOUR posts over the years! Very good and informative ones too! However, I just don't like being pushed around and called "Figgy" by anyone.I refuse to be bullied the way other new members are bullied. I WILL bite back if there is too much of it. As for your point about trying to sell things the book is not going to be published for about two years since I have a lot of other projects to deal with first so this is hardly a hard sell. I really don't care if people purchase the book or not at this stage. It is far too early for that. In fact I am not sure I want to sell it in the first place! That is why it is going to be priced expensively. Furthermore I will refuse to sell it to people I deem rude or overly aggressive. Or to people I don't deem worthy of the contents. This is serious stuff by serious readers. Readers who do not wish to be identified since between them all they have thousands of clients.

My advice is not to focus on me and focus on the content which is not written by me. I may well post extracts from the book which should satisfy or not satisfy people of the quality of the contents. However, on going over the material I do see a difficulty. This site comes up on search engines and the extracts would be far too revealing to the public at large for my liking. As a result I would have to post the tamest extracts here.

My intention here is merely to give everyone a heads up about a book which will not be available for some time. I claim that the material will be dynamite. After a couple of years (or hopefully less if I can manage it) you will all be able to judge the value. If people here think it is worth the money they will buy it.If they don't they won't. I really don't care that much either way. Really I don't. I am not a starving magician who needs to sell products to survive I can assure you.

Now when things settle down and people stop babbling and braying I will post the first extract and then you can all get a little insight on the matter. Let me know when you are all ready and please mind your manners when you do so otherwise I won't bother.
Figg
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Figg
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:
Well, my name actually is Patrick Woolery. I have never tried to make a secret of it. I tried to get the user name Patrick, but that was already taken when I became a member here. I called myself Mr. Woolery and sign all of my messages with my real first name because I prefer to be called by my actual name. I have no idea why this seems like a fake name to you. I confess I find it a little rude and judgy of you to assume and imply as you did. There are plenty of people here who don't share their real names and most of us are cool with that, but these are usually people who can tell us about their experience and qualifications and back it up.

I don't think anyone was trying to gang up or push you around, Kenneth. We are asking exactly the questions you invited when you asked what it would take to get us to trust you with our money for a book that you believe will be the best reference on cold reading ever. You indicated that you know how big the claims seem in your first post, so I meant to be helpful in telling you the exact sorts of hard questions I would have to have answers for before I spent a dime. Then I wrote a second post to give you a further suggestion about doing example readings. Other people expressed similar thoughts. That's confirmation or consensus, not pushing you around.

-Patrick (yes, my real name)


OK Patrick. I apologise for being so testy. I have had an exhausting and difficult day. Let us start afresh.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Psychic Notes (21 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL