The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Opening Lines... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I think that a really important aspect of a competition routie, and of course any routine, is the opening.
How do you introduce yourselves? It is quite hard to make a decision of starting with a big effect, or whether to come out and say calmly, hi I'm owen etc.
One major thing that irritates me is people who introduce their acts with the line "Hi I am... And I am going to be showing you some magic. I hope you are astounded etc."

What are your suggestions for a

1. humorous introduction
  2. Normal, calm, not over the top intdouction

Thanks,
owen
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I opened with the beginning lines of my routine. I was introduced before I began my set and saw no reason to say anything that would just cut into my performance time.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
To be kind of Humorous you can kinda trip over your own feet when you come out. I'm not sure what kind of comedy your all looking for. Don,
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
Hi,

Although my job as a teacher involves talking to groups of people all day long, I still find the most nerve wracking part of a performance as being the walk onto stage and the first minute or so. I used to start my cabaret 'act' with Torn and Restored Newspaper, which is my favourite effect to perform - and I found myself doing my favourite trick when I was at my most nervous.

I've therefore changed the start to being a quick effect (A jumbo black King which turns into a red queen) which gets me onto the stage and relaxed ready for the rest of hte show. I've found this works for me.

As for the introduction, I've never been able to come up with anything consistent, and so I (probably badly) tend to plan what I'm going to say in the few minutes before I go on stage, according to the circumstances.

In Geoffrey Durham's one man shows, which I'm sure you've seen, I think he's got a reall nice introduction, in which a pleasant voice simply says 'Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Geoffrey Durham', and he walks on in a relaxed, friendly but confident manner, and simply says something like 'Hello'. I think it's just right for his style (which I'd say was similar in some ways to mine), and sets the atmosphere for the evening.

Cheers,

Brian.
Brian
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
When you compete at the I.B.M. convention you are scored on your opening.

When I was a judge I would gave several poor scores when an act would walk out on stage and never connect with the audience as they opened the show.

Sometimes, just a smile or a nod would do the trick. What ever you do, make sure the audience knows you are aware of them and desire to please them.

Steve Hart
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Thanks for all the tips guys,
Steve,
it is great to avtually be able to hear from someone who has experience of what judges look for in an act. I have seen several competitions, and I have studied the introductions, and routine choices of the winners. one such example was last years International Magic Competition. Which was won by Shoot Ogawa, second was Chris Korn and third Was Etien Pradier.
Looking at their intoductions, you can see that they were all humourous and kind to the audience especially so for Shoot, who (it may help because he speaks little English) just grinned and laughed, and generally had a good fun first minute or so before starting his routine.
owen
TheHungryMagician
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TheHungryMagician
I'd just shout "Hello everybody" and various other things and have them reply.
"Are you ready for MAGIC?"
Forever starving,
Smile Hungry Smile
MesmerEyes
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
63 Posts

Profile of MesmerEyes
Anything that will get the audience on your side fast. This is competition and not regular performance so you lack that time to have them warm up to you.

Also it means you will have a magician heavy audience so a lot of openings that would be fine in the real world will fall flat in a competition.

I know you didn't ask but I feel I can't answer a competition question without mentioning to please..please don't go over on time. I have seen more good acts get hammered in competition for ignoring that.

That may be partly why Paul Gertner's routine is so funny. It revolves around how much time is left for his performance and ties the tricks and props to that premise. I'll stop talking now.
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
I come on and say good evening and welcome to za za's massage palour - oh no that tomorrow!

it gets a laugh then I do some weight gags at my own expence because I think that being over weight goes against me in terms of impressions and by doing fat gags on myself gets it out of the way and lests the audience get on with my magic.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-05-16 18:41, TheHungryMagician wrote:
I'd just shout "Hello everybody" and various other things and have them reply.
"Are you ready for MAGIC?"

I've never been in a competition, so maybe I'm not the guy to comment on this, but wasn't that Copperfield's entrance remark? Whereas a lay judge wouldn't recognize it, I would think any "pro" judge would certainly pick up on it.

Quote:
On 2004-06-15 17:16, Stephen Barney wrote:
I come on and say good evening and welcome to za za's massage palour - oh no that tomorrow!

Did you ever see Michael Crawford's "EFX"? He had a sequence where, as P.T. Barnum, he thought he was on a planet called "Mithra." Hearing an off-stage voice he replied; "Vegas? That's impossible! The place was destroyed years ago by a rampage of white tigers... somebody had been over breeding them! It was terrible, there were dead magicians every where! (Still hearing voice) Really? Oh well, hello Vegas!"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
LOL that is very funny I cant stop laughing, but I think it would be bad to use it now with the roy horn incident.
Matt
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
I'm not the guy to comment on this, but wasn't that Copperfield's entrance remark?

Lol sorry... I tried quoting it but I didn't work like I wanted it to... o well
that's a good point and I would have never thought of that Mandrake.
retrostylemagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Opening Lines... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL