The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is your favourite trick by Cameron Francis? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
What is your favourite trick by Cameron Francis?

Optional: what do you especially like about it?
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
"Nothing But the Truth," his lie-detector routine. It enables a lot of interaction with the audience, instead of "I perform while you shut up, sit, and watch." Several magic moments build to an unexpected climax, instead of being yet another one-shot effect that drags through too much non-magical procedure before finally arriving at just a single highlight. Near-instantaneous reset makes it practical for strolling magic under busy, fast-paced conditions.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Another vote for Nothing But The Truth for the reasons stated above Smile
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Nothing But The Truth looks fantastic, and just the kind of thing I like.

Thanks so much for pointing me in that direction!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Killer Trifecta - an adaption of M Dowden's Sole Selection.
I like it because:
-It uses 3 people/cards
-Its FASDIU
-Its quick
-It involves a deck vanish
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2018, puggo wrote:
Killer Trifecta - an adaption of M Dowden's Sole Selection.

Never come across this previously, but it looks very fun, thanks for suggesting it!

It's performed and taught as part of this video from BBM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it2z3RzNq_I
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Cameron is one of those guys I truly enjoy “almost” anything he touches. It would be very hard to track down a favorite. For the most part (in my opinion) he has an uncanny ability to pick up an old magic book that most of us have sitting on our shelf somewhere, pick a so-so effect (by today’s standards) and re-working it into a wonderfully updated version that plays up to today’s standards and beyond.

So I digress, if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the one I actually told him at Magi-Fest 2016 (in our brief conversation). His version of “Invisible Technology” (not Liam’s Version) from the “Kapow 2 dvd set” (both had a different take on this particular effect in different places on the set. It is also written up in his ebook that came free with the set called “Released”. Even though he states that Liam made it ten times better, I disagree to that point (not to the point that Liam is also a superstar of card magic too).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Rehab. Smile
MagicMason
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of MagicMason
I ordered and really like Cameron's re-working of Poker Player's Picnic called "Black Jack Buffet". Check it out!

Tom
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Nothing but the Truth is my fav. Just purchased it after having viewed it repeatedly! I had mastered the E.C. about 6 months ago, knew I had to use it, so finally bought it.

As for a routine I'm thinking of starting with Nick Trost's Lie Speller, then saying that old speller deck is old technology -- for one it is very bulky! I'll use that deck for the spec to select a card then pull out the packet for "Nothing bu the Truth" and say this is the new state-of-the-art lie detector based on thin film technology!

Phil
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2018, MagicMason wrote:
I ordered and really like Cameron's re-working of Poker Player's Picnic called "Black Jack Buffet". Check it out! Tom

Did he release "black Jack Buffet" separately at first?

It is also included in the recent DVD Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks Cameron Francis Edition (2019). The 11 tricks on that video are apparently all classic effects that Cameron Francis has put his own spin on, or has simplified and updated.

Below is a list of all the tricks on that DVD. The ad copy doesn't mention Cameron's original source for them all, but presumably this is covered in the video itself. I've identified some of them, and if anyone is able to identify more of them, please do share that info here:

● Seven of Hearts Trick (Paul Gordon's "Eight of Diamonds")
● Automatic Poker
● Three Impossible Things
● Divided
● Blackjack Buffet (Royal Road's "Poker Player's Picnic")
● Counter Intuitive
● Exhausted (Royal Road's "Tantalizer")
● Exhausted Aces (Royal Road's "Tantalizer")
● Exhausted Mates (Royal Road's "Tantalizer")
● Fired Up Triumph (Dai Vernon's "Triumph")
● Keep, Hide, and Giveaway (Jay Sankey)
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Ace Thang and Mind Reader vs Magician
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Deceit Treat would be my favorite CF trick. DT is now a go-to effect for me.

I like DT because the effect allows me to inject my personality into the routine, from the piles to the "feeling" of the cards, I find it easy to have fun with the routine.

Most magic effects are better if the spectator can be directly included in the story. DT has the spectator split cards into piles, shuffle a small packet of cards and deal to try and find their card. It's about as engaging as you get.

The routine is well structured, impossible to backtrack and builds to a nice finish. Plus, I enjoy counting cards right in front of people under the guise of feeling each card.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Why are there now two 'favourite' Cameron Francis threads?

In fact, WHO is Cameron Francis?

Oh, hang on. I ordered some rope and sponge balls from a dealer about 10 years ago. They included a free Cameron Francis packet trick (some abomination with a named card written on the back of blank backers).

To the best of my memory, it went straight into the bin.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2020, Merc Man wrote:
Why are there now two 'favourite' Cameron Francis threads?

This one here is an old thread from November 2018, that was somehow resurrected and bumped back to the top of the Workers sub-forum.

The other one is a new thread from February 2020, and just posted recently:

Best card tricks from the card magic videos by Cameron Francis?
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=708476

The new thread is slightly different in topic, because it isn't about all of the tricks Cameron Francis has created, but is specifically limited to card tricks from his card magic videos. I'd love to see some discussion in the new thread which covers material from his card magic DVDs specifically and only.
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
I love threads like this in which performing magicians share their experiences with their success with specific sleights of hand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is your favourite trick by Cameron Francis? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL