The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Recommend a packet trick that is somewhat unusual, offbeat, or fun (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
I love Back Flip by Sam Schwartz. It is a great packet trick and the final colour change really catches people off guard. Also with a little thinking it resets automatically.

I only learned about this trick this year. I agree, it is a great trick. I love stumbling across recommendations and then finding you have the book associated with the effect.

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I didn't know about this trick, and I agree, it's great to find out you already have the trick's explanation. Coincidentally, I had just been looking at Daryl's DVD Fooler Doolers Volume 3 for another purpose, and he explains the trick there. I was reminded again what a funny and personable performer he was.

For the final change to green cards I thought of using a line like, "Last time I performed this it was on a boat in rough waters. The cards turned green."

So many great packet tricks, so little time!

Bob

P. S. Thanks, Stickmondoo, for recommending this one.
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
279 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Daryl’s version of Back Flip has a great surprise ending. It’s on one of the World’s Greatest Magic videos

Personally I love packet tricks in which the cards change colours. The more dramatic the change the better.

My favourite is Alex Emsley’s Dazzle. A truly amazing trick. Unfortunately the card set required for this is very hard to come by. Nick Trost has a nice version called Razzle Dazzle with a simpler set up.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Like Rabbits
& another vote for Nothing but the Truth. Awesome.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
I have a trick called BACFLIPS by Norman Schultz who was from LA california. Seems similar to Back Flip. 4 cards of the same value are shown. One at a time they turn face down among the other face-up crds. Finally the 4 backs are shown to differ from each other. I bought it a major convention in the 70s or 80s. Not sure, but I think Joe Berg performed it for me.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
In 1977 Steve Roth & Al Cohen released The Peanut Trick. 4 cards are shown (3 face down and 1 face up showing a red peanut). When the cards are re-spread the peanut is blue. Then again, it is now yellow, and fianlly it is green. The cards are apread again and all are faceup, but the 4 color peanuts are now twice as large and all yellow. Finally, another spread and each card has a picture of a peanut butter jar. VERY NICE AND DIFFERENT packet trick.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
Mark Leveridge Magic made a mental packet trick called YES & NO. 5 ESP cards are shown and the spectator chooses one of the symbols. 4 cards are turned over and each have a large NO printed on the back. Finally, the chosen card is turned over and it has YES on the back. Only 5 cards are used, there is no force, and nothing to conceal or get rid of.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I keep a packet of ten cards on me to perform two packet effects. The first one is Small Triumph from Steve Marshall's Asian Astonishments. The second is EZ Oil aand Water from Nathan Kranzo's Easy Card Magic.
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
I love John Bannon's Buzzkill--See it here: https://bigblindmedia.com/products/buzzk......06396209
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
>A 3 card effect for Valentines Day< ---Fan of 2 Black pip cards and a Queen of Hearts. Show Fan with Queen of Hearts in center. Turn over to see backs - the Queen has a Red Back - the others Blue. Pull Queen out (face down ) put On Vol. palm, face down - ask "what Card was this?" Vol-"Queen of Hearts" - Magician, "Yes, My Queen of Hearts" turning card over -is a Photo of YOUR Queen Of Hearts (Wife ??). You should know how its done ( Hint; Center Red Queen of Hearts is a flap, on a Black pip card, 'Your' Queen under flap) - Understand ?? Have Fun - Blessings to All Magi -- Ralph
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
I don't think I've seen Dan Harlan's Vortex mentioned in this thread (yell at me if I missed it). But it definitely fits as a very easy to do offbeat packet trick.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3218

I always use patter along the lines of "I'm going to play with your sense of perception here, convince you're seeing something that isn't really happening . . ."

I think this was the first packet trick I every purchased as a single (as opposed to getting packet tricks of various types in cheapo magic sets I regularly purchase at Goodwills and other thrift stores).
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Alvo Stockman put out Zombie Monte within the last few years. This might fit the bill.

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
fybd88
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of fybd88
Tricycle Cards from John Guastaferro's Second Storm. This trick uses special printed little Jokers and personifies cards to charm the audience. The first line is "I have exciting news. I am a new father/mother. Look at the four cards just born today". Truly special.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Zombie Monte is "Color Monte " with a different patter.

Rick Lax's "Reverse Psychology" is just 8 Card Brainwave using cards with text, not playing cards.

Both should be advertised as such. Lax doesn't show his in the teaser for this reason.I generally like Lax, but this was a disappointment.
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
Any effect where you match a certain selection of cards

For example, a spectator takes 4 random cards from a deck as do you.

One by one you pair them up and they all match when turned over

Always gets a good reaction
salmononius2
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of salmononius2
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2022, Kaliix wrote:
Alvo Stockman put out Zombie Monte within the last few years. This might fit the bill.

I was going to suggest Zombie Monte too. It's arguably slightly seasonal, but it's an all around fun trick/story. As someone else mentioned, it's technically identical to Color Monte, but the patter is completely different making it an entirely different trick.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Check out Rick Lax - Past Present Future. It's a 3 card prediction utilizing a tarot deck.

Very interesting and different.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2022, Matt Malinas wrote:
Check out Rick Lax - Past Present Future. It's a 3 card prediction utilizing a tarot deck.

-Matt

If it is using a deck, is it considered a packet trick?
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2022, Matt Malinas wrote:

-Matt

If it is using a deck, is it considered a packet trick?

:)) you're right, my bad! Guess I got carried away.

Although, considering it is not a complete Tarot deck, maybe it could fall in this category.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2021, Alan Munro wrote:
EZ Oil and Water from Nathan Kranzo's Easy Card Magic.

I forgot to mention that the procedure is fun, at least the way that I present it. I've performed it for both magicians and laymen, and the reactions are great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Recommend a packet trick that is somewhat unusual, offbeat, or fun (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL