We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Unsolved - New Lebanon Circle Release (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
530 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Lebanon Circle have just added an intriguing new item to their portfolio. Details at lebanoncircle.co.uk

“Over a year in the making. Designed in association with Phill Smith (‘DMC Elites’). Unsolved is a powerful tool for bizarrists, mentalists and magicians willing to give compelling demonstrations of mediumship!

Unsolved is based on a real-world item originally developed by U.S. law enforcement agencies in order to solve crimes.”

My order went in about 20 seconds after reading the description on the website. It’ll be backed by Dan’s exceptional customer service so you can’t go wrong!
Maker of Magical Poppets - www.etsy.com/uk/shop/RockTrollCrafts

Websites built for creators and performers of the bizarre - www.oakdigitalsolutions.co.uk
ManxBull
View Profile
Regular user
Isle of Man
113 Posts

Profile of ManxBull
I didn't get home till late last night, so was worried I might have missed out by the time I read the email, but I got one! Dispatched today. It looks intriguing.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1008 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
I will not by any more cool props. I will not by any more cool props. Okay, who am I trying to fool, my finger was on the paypal button before I even finished reading the description.
Bob
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
This looks fascinating. I do need to ask about the phone number on the cards on the webpage. It jumped out to me as a clearly fake number for folks in North America. Am I reading that wrong?
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
530 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Sorry Bartleby, as I come from England I have spent the last 49 years convinced that everybody’s phone number in the USA starts with 555 because they do don’t they?! Will investigate further when I recieve my copy and will report back.

Websites built for creators and performers of the bizarre - www.oakdigitalsolutions.co.uk
ManxBull
View Profile
Regular user
Isle of Man
113 Posts

Profile of ManxBull
Arrived in today's post. A nice deck which is much more than a one trick pony. Comes with three suggested effects, but with plenty of potential for many more applications.

The system is fiendishly clever. It requires a little memorisation, but nothing too taxing.

A very worthwhile acquisition.
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
530 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Received yesterday and it is rather fantastic. As Manxbull says it is fiendishly clever but in the right situation it will be a jaw dropper. You do need to judge when to perform it for the right audience because it is pretty dark. I’m afraid I can’t answer the question re the phone number Barteby, in the UK I can’t see the 555 part being picked up on at all especially as the toll free pre-fix is also there. I assume it is used for the same reason it is used in films and tv shows to avoid real people being harassed by nuisance calls. There is so much going for this effect that I can’t see it being a problem. Perhaps drop a query on the Lebanon Circle forum?

bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
I am sure it is not a problem in the UK, and likely not one here too. I didn't mean to make a big deal about it. As always, context, story, and audience control will win the day.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Hello,

I thought that I would write about these types of cards. I used to work (day job) in corrections (in a jail) for 15 years. We have these same types of cards that we would give the inmates to play with. The hope of course was that an inmate might have information of one of the unsolved cases. I have never heard of any inmate ever giving up any information but at least we tried as this was truly a last ditch effort in solving a case. These cards that lebanoncircle sells look just like the one we had for the inmates.

When you look at the cards on the web site how many decks do you see? You will say only one….. The inmates always see at least TWO. These cards and normal playing cards were often torn in half to create two decks. I have even seen four decks made from one. The blank torn corners would be penciled in with the shape of the suit and the number of the card. So from one deck you could get four.

Cards games along with bones were the staple of what was played by the inmates. These games were often played as relaxing games to help create a norm while living in a dorm or cell with other inmates.

The inmates would range from the really dumb guy to the very smart con man. The inmates also would be a mixture of the innocent, small thieves and up to murders. Just because an inmate was a nice person and very likeable, you still, if possible, never turn your back. This is almost impossible when working in an environment like that. Once when I was a trainee (referred to by the inmates as a New C O C K), I was walking along the upper deck of the dorm that house 200 inmates, I was heading toward the metal stairs to go down them and return back to what we called the OIC office. As I past an inmate, his eyes met mine, and without appearing to say a word, he simple said, “They are going to push you down the stairs” I didn’t appear to look at him (only moving my eyes) or stopped my forward motion cause if I did, I might have put him in danger from other inmate for giving me a heads up. I continue toward the stairs aware that I was given a warning. Only a few steps from the top of the metal stairs I suddenly heard running feet against the cement floor coming toward me. I side step and turned in a very defense motion. The runner suddenly stopped about five feet from me and started laughing and said, your time is coming. Can you image being forcedly pushed forward down a flight of metal stairs?

Back to the cards…. These cards games would many times be played for food, such as a breakfast tray or something from the canteen that was referred to as sweetie gold’s. And if the loser didn’t pay up, he would often be put on a head watch in the infirmary. You can read between the lines on that one…

At times we would get an inmate that thought he was smart and would run up a debt with others and when the payment came due, would cause all-heck in the dorm and we would move him to another dorm. Because of the move, this so called smart inmate thought he was home clear and didn’t have to pay his debts….. MOST of the time he would find that he was very mistaken. Kites would be given to other inmates and trustees who would finally passed the kites to the dorm where the smart (dumb) guy was now located. Needless to say, there was a good chance he also was placed on a head watch in the infirmary. Inmates stick together and not one of them likes a thief.

I can give more examples if you like to help color your presentation of these cards. I thought that a little background might be cool to give you a more real account of how these cards are used. I have some really crazy stories that would pepper your routine with anodes that people would never think about when you tell your background story of these the cards.

Best
Ray
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1563 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Have to admit at 1st wasn't interested in these, but the more posts I've read I'm intrigued & may get these. Thinking they might pair well with Vic's Killer Clowns cards that I have in FBI portfolio carry case I got from a friend in the FBI.

Ray your post (thank you,very interesting story you shared) & then going to the site Dan has for these has me adding them to wifes xmas list ! LoL
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2672 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Not sure it's a Lebanon Circle release as you can buy it here, it seems....

https://www.magicbox.uk.com/product/unso......12474c59
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
530 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Not heard of Magicbox before, looks interesting. Must admit I’m more than happy to pay a little bit more to get them from Lebanon Circle. Much like John Lewis over here he never knowingly undersells! Thanks Ray, fascinating and extremely scary at the same time!

252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2530 Posts

Profile of 252life
They are fantastic imo. If anyone wanted to sneak up on any effects like Luna, etc, this would be a great place to start.
Tons of ideas for this already. I did not expect half as much as was delivered. There's even a Will to Read type word test included.
Not sure if I'll use that part of it personally, but it points to the thought put into this project.

(Also just grabbed Visionary 3.0, and I'd recommend that as well.)

Happy black fridaying Smile

252Broke
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2018, bartleby wrote:
This looks fascinating. I do need to ask about the phone number on the cards on the webpage. It jumped out to me as a clearly fake number for folks in North America. Am I reading that wrong?

The phone numbers stuck out like a sore thumb to me too. I really wish creators would beta test their creations with some of us to get some useful feedback before production.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2018, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2018, bartleby wrote:

The phone numbers stuck out like a sore thumb to me too. I really wish creators would beta test their creations with some of us to get some useful feedback before production.

I didn't give the phone number a thought until now. It is really sad that 555 was used. This is the prefix for fictional phone numbers. It was first used in TV shows to keep people from calling a real number. Anyone knowing this, would scream not real, fake. Now knowing this just makes me shake my head. But why not use a real prefix because it isn't like you will be giving the spectators the cards to take home.

The phone number on the cards that I was talking about in my other post had this number, 1-800-226-TIPS
Now that is a number to work with..... I just love the idea of using the word TIPS as the final four number.

Maybe numbers like these could have been used, 1-800-FOR-HELP, 1-800-SOLVE-IT , 1-800-HOT-TIPS, or maybe 1-800-RESOLVE. Who is going to pick up an 800 number that don't exist? Then maybe someone should call the fake number to see if someone picks up. If no one is at the other end, we have a WINNER.

Ray
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1008 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
I didn't look at the phone number, that's not good. Bummer
Bob
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
786 Posts

Profile of roblane
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2018, Intrepid wrote:
I will not by any more cool props. I will not by any more cool props. Okay, who am I trying to fool, my finger was on the paypal button before I even finished reading the description.

Likewise
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1474 Posts

Profile of Darkness
My first reaction (not knowing there are cards like this in the real world), was disbelief and to laugh. I guess I'm the exception? Not really the reaction I wish to risk with others who may feel the same way. Regardless of a plausible backstory, I just can't take mugshot playing cards serious.

"...Phill Smith (‘DMC Elites’). Unsolved is a powerful tool for bizarrists"

Ok, if you say so...
ManxBull
View Profile
Regular user
Isle of Man
113 Posts

Profile of ManxBull
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, Darkness wrote:
My first reaction (not knowing there are cards like this in the real world), was disbelief and to laugh. I guess I'm the exception? Not really the reaction I wish to risk with others who may feel the same way. Regardless of a plausible backstory, I just can't take mugshot playing cards serious.

That's a valid criticism. I wondered about it too and did a bit of research on cold case cards online before clicking the buy button. I guess the way around it is to discuss the existence of the cards and their purpose before producing the pack. Where the effect warrants it, I'll sometimes bring a laptop with me to introduce stories with Wikipedia articles or short documentaries on Youtube.

In this instance, I'd begin by introducing the subject of cold cases in general, then "And you know what I discovered, in use in the US prison system..." then display a couple of screens showing the cards. Leading to "You can buy some of these decks, used or new, on ebay..." displaying an ebay screen. Finally, "I ordered one, so that we can use it as a window to explore some of these cold cases..."

Of course, it all depends whether it resonates with you personally. When an effect or a prop leaves you cold, don't use it. But there's a decent way in there if you want one. Beginning simply with "I have here a pack of playing cards with pictures of VICTIMS on them!!!! (Tantantaraaaa!)" obviously merits derision.

Just for the record, as far as the audience are concerned, the fact that these are playing cards is irrelevant, as the suits and values are never referred to in the presentation, just the cases.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2672 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Unsolved - New Lebanon Circle Release (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL