We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Unsolved - New Lebanon Circle Release (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
540 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1483 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I think rationalizing its existence (or how you might start a routine) or even having first hand experience with them, is second to me looking at playing cards and seeing people on it and thinking, ha! I had ones with naked ladies on them and these are not half as cool Smile

When people know you are a "magician" and you pull out a deck of cards, whats the first thing they are likely to think? Ummm... this can't possibly be a pick a card trick disguised in a story?

I just think there are probably better choices out there for bizarre guys. Magician's yes.

Maybe I just dislike card tricks so much I cringe when I see them. But if you like cards that's great. I'm only expanding my view, not trying to change anyones mind (I really don't care enough to do that). Seems like bizarre OOTW and card based effects make up too much of what's available to us. We need to get aways from them not develop everything towards it. Magician's at heart... I know I get it.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Re: the phone numbers. Perhaps they could be redacted with a Sharpie with the rationale that these cases have all been closed?
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2018, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Re: the phone numbers. Perhaps they could be redacted with a Sharpie with the rationale that these cases have all been closed?



Good idea, but, from my point of view, the number (if they were real) wouldn't be redacted. The reason is that the number is to a real call center that gathers information of all cases not just one. So the number is used for all unsolved cases. With that thinking, even if a case has been solved, a person could still look at that solved case card and have information on another case that they KNOW about and feel compelled to act. The number is still valid and designed for anyone to call it if they have any information on any case.




Ray
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2018, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2018, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Re: the phone numbers. Perhaps they could be redacted with a Sharpie with the rationale that these cases have all been closed?



Good idea, but, from my point of view, the number (if they were real) wouldn't be redacted. The reason is that the number is to a real call center that gathers information of all cases not just one. So the number is used for all unsolved cases. With that thinking, even if a case has been solved, a person could still look at that solved case card and have information on another case that they KNOW about and feel compelled to act. The number is still valid and designed for anyone to call it if they have any information on any case.




Ray

Okay then...

How about:
"Would you believe? The call center was plagued by a rash of prank phone calls traced to a payphone in the school(library/whatever) where I last gave this presentation. So I've redacted the phone numbers to avoid that from happening again. In the event that anyone here actually does have some information on any of these cases, we can talk about it after the show."
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
531 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
"555" is an exchange number commonly thought to be reserved by the phone companies for use by TV and movies in order to prevent prank phone calls to real people. In fact, only 555-0100 through 555-0199 are now specifically reserved for fictional use, and the other numbers have been released for actual assignment.”

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FiveFiveFive
Maker of Magical Poppets - www.etsy.com/uk/shop/RockTrollCrafts

Websites built for creators and performers of the bizarre - www.oakdigitalsolutions.co.uk
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1355 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
A real bummer about the obviously fake number, especially as it is so large and emphasized on each face. That's the single factor that kept me from buying this... It's not an insignificant detail, either; virtually everyone knows that 555 equals FAKE.

Smile

That said, I do like the "redacting" method offered by MD and MG... maybe having the number blocked out by a Sharpie might actually make it seem more realistic..? Hmm, food for thought.

Seth
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1018 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2018, Seth speaks wrote:
A real bummer about the obviously fake number, especially as it is so large and emphasized on each face. That's the single factor that kept me from buying this... It's not an insignificant detail, either; virtually everyone knows that 555 equals FAKE.

Smile

That said, I do like the "redacting" method offered by MD and MG... maybe having the number blocked out by a Sharpie might actually make it seem more realistic..? Hmm, food for thought.

Seth

This is the best option so far.
Bob
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
237 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2018, Seth speaks wrote:
A real bummer about the obviously fake number, especially as it is so large and emphasized on each face. That's the single factor that kept me from buying this... It's not an insignificant detail, either; virtually everyone knows that 555 equals FAKE.

Smile



I have to agree. I want to buy this, but can’t look past that fake number. Not sure how you can suspend disbelief with that.

The premise of the effect looks great though.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
725 Posts

Profile of Winks
Yup. That 555 prefix is a show stopper. But, I do like the redacting idea.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5544 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I received my cards and they are great quality and natural fodder for some solid story telling.

I like the redacting story and the Sharpie solution...that could actually play as a positive. I think one could also just be frank and say that "the deck is a replica of the real thing, and even though it's a replica and the actual call center number has been replaced, the cases are...or I should say in many instances...were, real. What's also real are the very weird and disturbing properties that surround this deck and the stories it has to tell. I don't know if an object like a deck of cards can be haunted, but what I'm about to show you may prove otherwise..."
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Unsolved - New Lebanon Circle Release (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL