We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Safety Coffin Bell. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Suffocation, is one of the most brutal deaths one can experience.
Even the idea can make some queasy and uncomfortable. So how would
it be if you were buried prematurely before having really died?

Today we think the inadvertent possibility of premature burial inconceivable
but back in the 18th centenary, it happened more often than you might think.
This lead to the development of the "Safety Coffin Bell". A bell hung above
the coffin on a pulley system with a cord attached to a finger of the thought
deceased. If after burial the person was still alive, the bell would ring and
the person unearthed.

This is what has lead to the expression "Saved by the bell".

I have one of these bell here. Taken from the grave of one Mary Ann Bellwood.
Ironic how bell is in Her name don't you think? Many Ann did actually die and
was never uninterned however, they say, that this bell is strangely connected to
Miss Mary. And under the right circumstances if we believe and listen carefully,
She will make herself know to us by ringing the bell.

Out of respect for the dead let us stay very quiet while we try contacting
Mary Ann Bellwood. Mary are you here?


This is a spirit bell presentation I thought of after seeing an episode of "Lore"
Feel free to use it in any way you see fit.

Comments, additions, constructive criticism, all are welcome.

Click here to view attached image.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
ManxBull
View Profile
Regular user
Isle of Man
113 Posts

Profile of ManxBull
There's a very good, and rather sinister, cemetery bell routine in Roger Curzon's book 'Dark Matters', available from Lebanon Circle.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4484 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, ManxBull wrote:
There's a very good, and rather sinister, cemetery bell routine in Roger Curzon's book 'Dark Matters', available from Lebanon Circle.


I'm sorry, are you saying that my exact post comes from the work, your citing? If it does, I'm totally unaware of it and would never try passing off someone else's work, as my own.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
757 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
In response to the above post: I am enjoying this thread and read through all the posts and I don’t believe that Manx was accusing you of anything just adding to the thread - adding another resource to help
ManxBull
View Profile
Regular user
Isle of Man
113 Posts

Profile of ManxBull
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, ManxBull wrote:
There's a very good, and rather sinister, cemetery bell routine in Roger Curzon's book 'Dark Matters', available from Lebanon Circle.


I'm sorry, are you saying that my exact post comes from the work, your citing? If it does, I'm totally unaware of it and would never try passing off someone else's work, as my own.


No no, not at all. Roger's piece is quite different. I was just pointing to another approach to the story, keeping the theme going. Smile
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Manx thank you. I didn't know of the work in Dark Matters but thought it might be possibility that I had actually, thought of something already in existence. It has happen to me before. Not accusing you of anything and appreciate the contribution Smile Just looking for clarification was all. Thank you.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2671 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Mark Strivings put out a booklet with an act revolving around the coffin bell:
https://www.magicbookshop.com/p/sale/the-death-act

Nick created a box and props with this theme:
https://dark-artifacts.com/product/deathwatch/

People on here talked about using the Wenger bell with this theme.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
So there we have it. Once again what I thought was an original idea, turns out to have existed for quite some time. Live and learn I guess.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2671 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
But it's a good idea though.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, ManxBull wrote:
There's a very good, and rather sinister, cemetery bell routine in Roger Curzon's book 'Dark Matters', available from Lebanon Circle.


Do you have a link for this? Thanks.
kcalB
View Profile
Inner circle
Took me 16 years to make
1001 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Marks book is called The Death Act
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2671 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2018, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, ManxBull wrote:
There's a very good, and rather sinister, cemetery bell routine in Roger Curzon's book 'Dark Matters', available from Lebanon Circle.


Do you have a link for this? Thanks.


just Google it; a couple places show up.
ManxBull
View Profile
Regular user
Isle of Man
113 Posts

Profile of ManxBull
Quote:
Do you have a link for this? Thanks.


I got mine through Lebanon Circle, but Dan must have sold out as it's not listed there any more.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1009 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2018, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, ManxBull wrote:
There's a very good, and rather sinister, cemetery bell routine in Roger Curzon's book 'Dark Matters', available from Lebanon Circle.


Do you have a link for this? Thanks.

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/roger-cur......915.html
Bob
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17684 Posts

Profile of Slim King
It also lead to the phrase DEAD RINGER.....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
725 Posts

Profile of Winks
And the phrase, graveyard shift
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
As well as the phrase ‘saved by the bell’
www.darkartefacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted hauntiques. The Uninvited, Deathwatch, The Gift, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1009 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Maybe and maybe not...

"There's no evidence to show that anyone was ever saved by these coffins or even that they were ever put to use, and there's a similar lack of evidence of the phrase 'saved by the bell' ever being used in that sense prior to it having been used in other contexts.
In fact, the expression is boxing slang and it came into being in the latter half of the 19th century. A boxer who is in danger of losing a bout can be 'saved' from defeat by the respite signalled by bell that marks the end of a round. The earliest reference to this that I can find is in the Massachusetts newspaper The Fitchburg Daily Sentinel, February 1893:
"Martin Flaherty defeated Bobby Burns in 32 rounds by a complete knockout. Half a dozen times Flaherty was saved by the bell in the earlier rounds."

There are other popular etymological fallacies related to death - notably dead ringer and graveyard shift."
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/saved-by-the-bell.html

"Dead ringer" originated from horse racing
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_ringer_(idiom)

"We have debunked the saved by the bell and dead ringer myths previously, so now let's take a look at 'graveyard shift'. Given that the derivation of the phrases 'saved by the bell' and 'dead ringer' had nothing whatever to do with burials or graveyards, it might be thought that 'graveyard shift' could be dismissed without further investigation. That may be a little hasty. Those phrases may have had nothing to do with bells being attached to coffins to guard against premature burial, but such devices did exist and were occasionally used. Given that some people had sufficient fear of being buried alive to invest in such coffins, it is at least plausible that they would also have made arrangements for someone to monitor the grave so that their coffin's bell could be heard in the event of them ringing it. Nevertheless, and as usual with phrase etymology, plausibility and truth are only distant relatives.
The Graveyard Shift, or Graveyard Watch, was the name coined for the work shift of the early morning, typically midnight until 8am. The name originated in the USA at the latter end of the 1800s. There's no evidence at all that it had anything directly to do with watching over graveyards, merely that the shifts took place in the middle of the night, when the ambience was quiet and lonely.
The earliest example of the phrase in print that I have found is in the US newspaper The Salt Lake Tribune, June 1897:
The police changed shifts for the month yesterday. This month Sergeant Ware takes the morning relief. Sergeant Matt Rhodes the middle and Sergeant John Burbidge the graveyard shift.
The 'graveyard watch' version of the phrase was normally used by sailors on watch - hardly a group in a position to supervise buried coffins. The graveyard link was made explicit in this definition, offered by the American mariner Gershom Bradford, in A Glossary of Sea Terms, 1927:
"Graveyard watch, the middle watch or 12 to 4 a.m., because of the number of disasters that occur at this time."
One more nail in the coffin of folk etymology, let's hope, or can I still hear a faint bell clanking in the Internet graveyard?
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/graveyard-shift.html
Bob
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5543 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Awesome stuff Intrepid! Thank you.

As fun as false history is to tell, the vague truth like the real origin of "Graveyard Watch," can be just as grimly intriguing.

Like the late Ricky Jay showed us performance after performance, tell the right story and the magic becomes miracle.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Safety Coffin Bell. (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.5 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL