The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » R.I.P. Ricky Jay (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Legend.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Very sad news.

Any details?
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
246 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Smile
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
From Meir Yedid's e-newsletter earlier today ... I'm assuming Ricky Jay was the one hinted at ... possibly not, we'll see:

A little over a week ago one of my best friends passed away. He was one of the most knowledgeable magicians I knew, especially in the field of stage and parlor magic. He was also a pioneer of magic on the internet and on the web and I would not have been able to make my web presence as early as I did without his help.

Throughout his life he has helped many area magicians in many different ways… and as soon as the time came, he would leave them to flourish and go on to befriend and help others.

I promised his family not to mention his name until his official obituary gets published since he was so much more than just a magician. I will give you a hint, even though he does not get credit for it, he was the one who coined the phrase, “Soft Rock!” His full obituary is scheduled to appear in the Sunday edition of the New York Times.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, balducci wrote:
From Meir Yedid's e-newsletter earlier today ... I'm assuming Ricky Jay was the one hinted at ... possibly not, we'll see:

A little over a week ago one of my best friends passed away.

According to Wikipedia, he passed away today.

But there are no details other than that.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, balducci wrote:

A little over a week ago one of my best friends passed away.

According to Wikipedia, he passed away today.

But there are no details other than that.

I saw / knew that. My guess is some eager beaver wanted to be first to edit Wikipeda and got the day of death wrong. If the serious magician community (like at the Genii site, or here) is trying to figure out the details of RJ's rumoured death, I very much doubt that person who edited Wikipedia knows.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
If Yedid is talking about someone else, it will be an even sadder weekend for magic fans.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/ricky......3035879/

Variety reports RJ's death, and quotes condolences from his manager and attorney. Variety says he died Saturday, but it could be assuming as neither the manager or attorney are quoted as saying when he actually died.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2730 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes many magicians on Facebook are saying it was him. That is sad.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I just posted his cups and balls two days ago on my Facebook.
His version of four queens is, in my opinion, the most beautiful card routine ever produced.
Between him and Stan Lee that's two of the most influential people in my life this month. Pretty shook, tbh. My heart is with the entire magic and entertainment community during this incredible loss.

Https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com......879/amp/ Smile Smile Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
791 Posts

Profile of Rook
What an incredible loss. I first saw him on the Secret Cabaret. He made an indelible impression upon me.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Geeraff12
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
67 Posts

Profile of Geeraff12
RIP. A tremendous talent in all of the many areas of his work. A master in the truest sense. Condolences to all his loved ones.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
jason ladanye
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of jason ladanye
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
544 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Apocryphal from the Times:

Audiences were often flummoxed by Mr. Jay’s card tricks. When pressured to impress at a dinner party, he told a guest to pick a card. After the guest named the three of hearts, Mr. Jay shuffled, gripped the deck and flung it across the table, causing the cards to strike an open wine bottle, according to The New Yorker. To the guest’s dismay, the three of hearts appeared inside the bottle’s neck.

Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
Meir Yedid was writing about magician Richard Robinson who passed away Nov. 15.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytime......Dq1u6HV4
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1308 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:
Apocryphal from the Times:

Audiences were often flummoxed by Mr. Jay’s card tricks. When pressured to impress at a dinner party, he told a guest to pick a card. After the guest named the three of hearts, Mr. Jay shuffled, gripped the deck and flung it across the table, causing the cards to strike an open wine bottle, according to The New Yorker. To the guest’s dismay, the three of hearts appeared inside the bottle’s neck.

The guests name was Mort. Read about it here:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1993/......he-magus
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Very sad loss. He was a great one! He will be missed. Loved his work and vast knowledge.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1342 Posts

Profile of lynnef
The NY Times obit gives us a glimpse of the colorful life he led, not only in magic but in film, his close association with David Mamet, his bar mitvah visited by Al Flosso, his authorship of so many off-beat books...and his legendary magic skill with cards. Larger than life, RIP Ricky Jay. Lynn
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Here's a link to more from Mamet via The New York Times.
Quote:
I’d never seen close-up before. It transformed me from sophisticate into gone goose.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ricky was a very dear friend. He was with it, for it, and never up against it! I'll see ya on the big lot, Rick, where the sun always shines, the lot is always level, and, the marks always have a mittful of folding scratch! (and, the fix is in!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » R.I.P. Ricky Jay (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL