The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Balance by Joshua Jay (148 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..18~19~20 [Next]
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2018, reignofsound wrote:

I think it's pretty obvious this is not for close up?

Why do you think it's obvious? People throw that word around a lot.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2018, thecromulent wrote:
Quote:

I second Ustaad suggestion, the live lecture is very good and you can probably put it together if you want. Definitively not closeup, gaffed to the hilt.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
It’s clearly not walk-around magic, but doesn’t have to be done on a stage.

You could perform this close up for a group during a dinner party booking, an intimate group, or if you want to perform a set piece to the whole room at a wedding.

It comes with a special box that brings all the parts into play, acts as a screen when needed and for clear up after. I see no reason why you could not perform this at the top table of a wedding, next to the bride and groom, to the whole room. Posing for a great picture of them behind the structure afterwards.

The key point is this: You don’t want anyone spoiling the performance by knocking the structure over, or trying to play with it when they should be watching the performance. That’s the golden rule as to when and where this is great to perform.

Do you sometimes find yourself in those sort of situations or take gigs that could be great to end with a set ‘finale’ piece to the room.
Would you like to film yourself performing this whilst talking about your magic for a showreel video for your website?
Could you film an introduction video to a corporate client featuring you building this whilst introducing yourself?

Not everything needs to be table hopping material to be of create value to a table hopper... Smile
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
Quote:

It's totally gaffed, you need to hide the non gaffs in the box.
Have you watched any if Josh's performances?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Oh. So it's not real magic? Darn, let down again.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1554 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I imagine this has some serious angle problems regarding the switch. It may be true that this is only a brief moment, but with something like this I'm thinking that people's first response would be gaffed props. In his video JJ proves ahead of time that these are "normal" objects, then makes the switch, and in a controlled environment that's fine, but if people are not in fixed places you run the risk of exposure whether you switch in before the effect or switch out after.

38 seconds into the blocks video (from Ustaad, the lower block flashes a clue as to construction. Paint hides many clues. Smile Still, excellent.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:

I've watched several different performances. I'm not sure why you're being so condescending and dismissive in your responses. I asked a simple (and to me, non-obvious) question. There are plenty of effects that use gaffs, have sensitive angles, etc., which are fine for close up.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I must be missing something as this looks quite boring to me and not at all magical more of something a juggler might do or a puzzle either way it's definitely not for me.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
(And thanks to paperinick and Dominic for more considered responses.)
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
Quote:

I've watched several different performances. I'm not sure why you're being so condescending and dismissive in your responses. I asked a simple (and to me, non-obvious) question. There are plenty of effects that use gaffs, have sensitive angles, etc., which are fine for close up.

Yawn.
I answered your question.
Nothing more, nothing less.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Must be a translation issue.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:

https://imgflip.com/i/15t4g8
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:

Do you really think you could perform this close up?
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly, I don't really understand what you're asking me. Is your question rhetorical? Your tone implies that I should know better than to ask such a question. If the props stand up to close scrutiny, with good routining and audience management, it seems possible. But I'm not sure what the props really look like close up, and what the intent is.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2018, jaizon wrote:
I imagine this has some serious angle problems regarding the switch. It may be true that this is only a brief moment, but with something like this I'm thinking that people's first response would be gaffed props.

I was worried about that too. Until I found out about that large blue box that comes with it. When I unboxed Balance I though it was just massive overkill on the packing/presentation (Impressive though it was,) and all I was thinking about was shipping packaging and weight catagories...) Then after watching the tutorial I found out it's a central part of the mechanics. It's part of the equipment and plays a very clever function. When you open it, it does something very special and solves that problem. The box has also been designed to carry your other props for the evening too, so it's a close up case as well.

Basically... You hand out the items to the group at the beginning, take them back and then bring out a letter or similar to 'frame the performance with a story.. The box helps you do the sneaky bit...

Did I mention earlier in the thread that MoM have this on the site now shipping from the UK with the special introductory price until the 1st Jan? It's here: https://www.magicshop-deals.com/products/balance

Hope this helps
Dominic
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly, I don't really understand what you're asking me. Is your question rhetorical? Your tone implies that I should know better than to ask such a question. If the props stand up to close scrutiny, with good routining and audience management, it seems possible. But I'm not sure what the props really look like close up, and what the intent is.

The question was genuine.

You have to switch and ditch items in the box and most spectators who are close up are going to see whats going on.

I'm sorry I just thought it seemed rather obvious this was not for close up / walk around.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:
You have to switch and ditch items in the box and most spectators who are close up are going to see whats going on.

Switching and ditching in close-up happens all the time. Sure, there are a lot of props for this one, and they're not small, but people on this thread have talked a lot about how the box helps you, so I wasn't sure if the box helped _enough_ for close-up. Similarly, only those who have handled the props can really judge whether they would pass close scrutiny.

I didn't have enough information to answer my questions, so I put them to the group. You are most likely correct, but I was hoping someone with more first-hand knowledge would weigh in.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I think the other thing here is that, even though something seems obvious to you, it may not be to other people.
trickymagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trickymagic
^^^^^^ what he said.
Ezekiel Jump
-carpe diem-
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Just saw this today at Alakazam. I think it would be quite nice to include a prediction at the beginning where the spec thinks of one of the items, the prediction is removed from the box (reason for going in there) and revealed after the balance sequence. Obviously you’d need a multiple out solution here such as the Heirloom Wallet - just a thought.... Could be quite nice if the prediction was in the form of someone holding the item in a photo, again like in Heirloom?
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Balance by Joshua Jay (148 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..18~19~20 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL