The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Does anyone make decent quality change bags anymore?! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montbeliard
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Montbeliard
Usually an adult close up kinda guy but looking to do some children’s magic now my own daughter is old enough. I bought lovely change bag from an Indian magic store a long time ago but stupidly sold it as I wasn’t doing kids’ stuff. Now I want one again, but essentially there’s one change bag for sale, with a plastic handle! Who wants a plastic handle?!

I know some folk don’t like change bags but for children they’re perfect - I don’t care if it looks like a prop, I just want it to look like a lovely, mystical, quality prop rather than a cheap bit of plastic. The sort of thing you could credibly claim was owned by your great grandfather and you found it in a dusty attic or something.

I’m UK based but will send abroad for it if I have to! Thanks.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
958 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Contact Practical Magic and buy the German one.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Ickle Pickle still makes them here in the USA. The bag has a flat wooden handle rather than the round metal handle. I've had their "zippered pickleover bag" for something like 20 years now and it's held up very nicely.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2018, Montbeliard wrote:
Usually an adult close up kinda guy but looking to do some children’s magic now my own daughter is old enough. I bought lovely change bag from an Indian magic store a long time ago but stupidly sold it as I wasn’t doing kids’ stuff. Now I want one again, but essentially there’s one change bag for sale, with a plastic handle! Who wants a plastic handle?!

I know some folk don’t like change bags but for children they’re perfect - I don’t care if it looks like a prop, I just want it to look like a lovely, mystical, quality prop rather than a cheap bit of plastic. The sort of thing you could credibly claim was owned by your great grandfather and you found it in a dusty attic or something.
I'm UK based but will send abroad for it if I have to! Thanks.

I wouldn't consider entertaining kids without one.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4974 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Ye olde Google Image Search yields hundreds of hits:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+ch......55&dpr=2

I thought these looked promising, although I cannot vouch for the companies:
https://www.ebay.com/i/141441655390?chn=ps
https://stores.silkmagictricks.com/produ......9lvD_BwE
https://abra4magic.com/Merchant2/merchan......ry_Code=

This seller I can totally vouch for, although the bag is out of stock. I would email him as he is always adding stock:
https://www.magiccollectibles.com/produc......ondition
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7751 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Change bags are VICTORIAN ERA PROPS.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7751 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2018, gomerel wrote:
Quote:

I WOULDN'T CONSIDER DOING A SHOW >>>WITH<<< ONE. I worked for moppets thru college age young people, for fifty years. I respect their dignity.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21183 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Montbeliard

Here is Change Bags made in India it that is what you are looking for again.

https://magicgoods.com/products?keywords=change+bag
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1054 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2018, gomerel wrote:
Quote:

I WOULDN'T CONSIDER DOING A SHOW >>>WITH<<< ONE. I worked for moppets thru college age young people, for fifty years. I respect their dignity.

Dick

What are your thoughts about a "hidden spring" or a "tear apart" change bag?

Do you find this a more "workable" type of prop?

Mark
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7751 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Mark!

What "magicians" call a "change bag", was rather common as a "utensil" to collect the offering at services. (I visited Bobbie Gurtler's (Andre Kole) show in California about 25 years ago, in a church. At the intermission, the pastor announced that those of us who were not church members did not need to contribute, but a collection would be taken up to help cover the cost of the program. (The church was full!) The ushers passed velvet bags with handles across the rows of seats. (I doubt that they were Petrie & Lewis!!!!!)

About the time that Frank Ducrot invented the 20th C Silks, dealers saw an "upsell" to amateurs who couldn't use a pull. They modified the church "utensil", and, the change bag was born.

When I was a young teen, I had one! (tie cutting). As soon as I realized that it was extremely outdated, I red lighted it. (the tie trick, too! --it had gotten too expensive!!!)

Gen Grant sold a "tote bag" later. It looked like what it was. A simple container with a draw string closure. It had no gold tassels, etc.

Some years later when I began using my friend, the late Don Lawton's MUTILATED PARASOL routine, I did not like the HOKEY purse. I used Gen's tote bag. (I never bothered to show it empty, and, no youngster EVER ASKED TO SEE IT EMPTY, ETC. Don's routine was so constructed, that showing the bag IMO, was not necessary! It would have messed up the tempo. (qui nimis probat, nihil probat --He who proves too much, proves nothing!) The laughs were there and a BIG MITT (with more laughs) at the finish!!!!! I adapted Don's routine to fit a school show, and, I did it for years for the elementaries. It was so strong that I could have closed with it! (It's in my book, as a tribute to Don.)

As soon as I outgrew the "boxes, tubes, cans, pans, and red velvet bags on a stick" phase, I resolved to use only "innocent" generic or generic looking props. (One exception: Abbott's DISECTO.) It's played strictly for comedy, (but, it does fool 'em) It was for High Schools, and, ALWAYS played strong, in the toughest high schools (The exception "proves" the rule!!)

Remember the guy who thinks, "If I had that bag, I could do that, too!"

The Tear Apart bag fits the tote bag concept IMO, as long as it doesn't have gold fringe and a tassel!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps!!
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Steinmeyer has an excellent change bag routine in his Conjuring Anthology. It uses the change bag as a church collection bag.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7751 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I know Jim from my "Chicago Days"...(Didn't he usta do "Abbott's Vanishing Statue of Liberty Vanish? (heehee)

Only Jim would think of using the change bag like that!!!!!!!!!!!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1733 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
The best "Change Bag" I have ever used was a VERY clever tip given to me by the late, great Karrell Fox at one of The Abbott's Get-Togethers many, many years ago. Like most methods Karrell used it was dumb simple....Karrell told me that "you never have to worry about having a change bag if you simply use two paper bags nested together and rolled down a bit".

He showed this to me, and a HUGE smile broke out!

Karrell was a genius as far as "simpler is better" as a Magician.

Not only does this always work anywhere and anyplace that paper bags are available...........its very deceptive and totally innocent looking.

Try it. You'll like it!

I miss Karrell Fox, He was ALWAYS available to talk Magic at the Abbott's Get-Togethers....and I learned A LOT from him!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21183 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Loftus Novelty made a metal change bag fashioned after the old P & L company. It is very high class Look like they sold out of the their original run, but have resupplied, which is unusual for them to do. Their magic is under the "Empire" brand name. Just to a search for Empire Change Bag, and you will see their change bag.

Here is the Zipper Change Bag by Loftus/Empire. Makes a gag when the child puts his hand in the bag, and it comes out the bottom, proving it is empty, and funny situtation.

https://www.ziggosparty.com/products/cha......QAvD_BwE

Click here to view attached image.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Does anyone make decent quality change bags anymore?! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL