The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » METAL 4 by Eric Jones (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ThaGenius
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of ThaGenius
So I picked this up last night and I’m glad I did. Even though some of these routines have been released before, I found the routines better explained, easier to follow, and more nuanced. Also, I don’t believe his America’s Got Talent routine has been taught elsewhere. I would definitely recommend it because you are getting some of the best modern coin routines available for a riciculously low price! Metal 4 also got me interested in the Quiver wallet. Since I was already familiar with some of the routines I really liked what the Quiver wallet added to them! Metal 4 is just another great release from Eric Jones and if you were at all hesitant about purchasing it like I was at first, get it! It is absolutely worth it!
samuelluisiano
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of samuelluisiano
Eric Jones really nails every teaching experience and the Material in Metal 4 is good and very well explained.

I got to say this tho because it has been a topic on this forum: Please get yourselves a good quality OXF set instead of wasting money with a set that you can't really perform with. What good is a set that is only suitable for practicing alone because if your audience is not semi-blind they will call you out on it and with time every layman will know what a shell and a flipper is.

I know this because I bought an OXF set from Kueppers before this release for 120 bucks and I have to say that it is not very convincing. It wiggles and talks like crazy and I would never toss it into the air. Also, the shell (maybe because of the shim) is not deep enough so approx. half of the flipper is seen underneath. I know that E and Kueppers just want to make money but the quality is seriously lacking!! Having said that you can work around these problems by altering your routine but you just have to know that you will not be able to do certain moves.

Also, you can forget the "in the spectators hands"-Routines with this set in my opinion. The Kuepper flipper is not a pro-flipper (meaning that it has an exterior band and there is no "real edge") so almost every angle except straight from above will give the flipper away! Furthermore, you can imagine that a spectator will maybe feel that false edge, holding it by its sides.

Think this through before buying this gaff! Rather invest some money, practice well and keep that secret alive a little longer!
Cardmagic12345
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Cardmagic12345
Could you just get a s#### and a f###### and make your own OXF set?
MikeLiu
View Profile
Regular user
vancouver
120 Posts

Profile of MikeLiu
I bought the coin set from E, the quality is actually not bad ( although I prefer walking half ) , and none mag version is actually easier to use.

I had a mag barber oxf set before and I the mag was a bit strong, so I sold it.
Frittentick
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Frittentick
Kueppers has different OXF sets. For 120 bucks you don't get the high end stuff of course. For a pro set you'll pay about 350 Dollar like Schoolcraft asks for it.
Chris John
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Chris John
Hi, I don't go on the Café often, and I hope this is the right place for this question. Please let me know if it is not.

I just purchased Metal 4 and would love to add some of the routines to my set. In particular, I was hoping to finish out the coin portion of my set by vanishing each coin using Jone's AGT vanishing sequence. Currently, I do not have a flipper and intend to buy an OxF set from Schoolcraft. I prefer to use, and currently do use, dollar size coins on account of their handling, greater visibility, and the fact that, in my opinion, they tend to produce more impressive vanishes and productions. My question is would Jones' AGT routine work with dollar sized coins? I worry that the flipper may be seen closing or wouldn't close quick enough on the vanishes where it is in the spectator's hands when using larger, dollar sized coins. Additionally, I could see a problem occurring during the second production in Oxy Clean in which the flipper could possibly poke through the fingers and be seen. Though, that could probably be overcome through angling the hand properly.

I've searched the internet for an answer to this question and have come up empty. I really do not want to spend $375 on Schoolcraft's OxF set and wait 5 weeks for it to arrive only to find that I can't do what I intended to with it. So, I would be very grateful if someone could share their knowledge and clear things up for me.

Thanks,
Chris
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2019, Chris John wrote:
Hi, I don't go on the Café often, and I hope this is the right place for this question. Please let me know if it is not.

I just purchased Metal 4 and would love to add some of the routines to my set. In particular, I was hoping to finish out the coin portion of my set by vanishing each coin using Jone's AGT vanishing sequence. Currently, I do not have a flipper and intend to buy an OxF set from Schoolcraft. I prefer to use, and currently do use, dollar size coins on account of their handling, greater visibility, and the fact that, in my opinion, they tend to produce more impressive vanishes and productions. My question is would Jones' AGT routine work with dollar sized coins? I worry that the flipper may be seen closing or wouldn't close quick enough on the vanishes where it is in the spectator's hands when using larger, dollar sized coins. Additionally, I could see a problem occurring during the second production in Oxy Clean in which the flipper could possibly poke through the fingers and be seen. Though, that could probably be overcome through angling the hand properly.

I've searched the internet for an answer to this question and have come up empty. I really do not want to spend $375 on Schoolcraft's OxF set and wait 5 weeks for it to arrive only to find that I can't do what I intended to with it. So, I would be very grateful if someone could share their knowledge and clear things up for me.

Thanks,
Chris

I don't think that there should be any problem as so many coin magicians out there use Jamie's OxF set. As far as the size of the OxF set is concerned, Jamie also makes a Half Dollar set which may be more suitable for you if you're worried about the size of the coins.

The answer to your second question seems to rely on our sleight-of-hand skills. I'm sure by practising it over and over again, it'll work just like it works when Eric does it.

Hope this helps.

All the best.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Chris, when using spectators' hands you may want to use half dollar coins. It's difficult to gauge the size of people's hands and dollar coins in smaller hands can often cause problems!

Thanks,

Jim
Chris John
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Chris John
Thanks for the responses.

Jim, just to be clear, are you saying that, as a general rule, it's best to use half dollars when doing magic in people's hands? Or, that Jone's AGT vanishing sequence, in specific, works better with half dollars? It seems that the size of the spectator's hands would only affect the first vanish in which they shake the coins around in their enclosed hands.

I appreciate the replies,
Chris
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Jones’ entire sequence looks better with halfs
Killintosh
View Profile
New user
Vienna, Austria
4 Posts

Profile of Killintosh
It has been some time since this topic was last active, but I'd like to mention few things now that I've recently started doing Metal 4 routines.

Regarding the coins:
I've been doing lot's of Eric's routines for the past year or two and when using gimmicked coins, I've been using magnetic OXF from Roy Kuppers. The quality is very good as far as my spectators are concerned. Nobody has ever suspected anything, but since it is a Normal Kenedy one, it talks. I have a non-magnetic !@#$*r from TANGO, and that was waste of money. I am generally planning on buying Barbers or Morgans OXF from Schoolcraft. The chinese gimmicks that are online and are cheap are not made of real coins and even if they are very cheap, please don't waste your few bucks on them. I had and they all gather dust at home. I wouldn't even suggest practicing with them.
As mentioned above, things that Eric does with half dollars look great and maybe that size will be very suitable for the routines in spectators hands. Regardless, as a coin guy who does mostly dollars, I would recommend you to get yourself something that suits your general preference for coins. I bought mine OXF before I settle on Morgans as my main coins and now I would gladly get myself Morgan OXF to replace the Kenedy.

Regarding the routine where coins vanish from spectators hands:
I love it, but now that some time has passed an you also might have done it some times, please help me with something.
The last coin... how to vanish it? The way Eric does it is not right in my opinion. First the reappearance on the shoulder brakes the whole effect of "coins vanish one after another". Secondly, first 3 coins vanish in spectator hands and the last one trough slight of hand. Since I am asking for direct explanation on how to make a miracle, I guess you could DM me. I would love the input. I have an idea I will try out soon, but I won't post it here for now.

Regarding the whole project:
Amazing! Very well thought of, sources are mentioned, it elevates ones coin magic to the next level. Love it and highly recommend it!

All the best!
Toni
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, Killintosh wrote:
It has been some time since this topic was last active, but I'd like to mention few things now that I've recently started doing Metal 4 routines.

Regarding the coins:
I've been doing lot's of Eric's routines for the past year or two and when using gimmicked coins, I've been using magnetic OXF from Roy Kuppers. The quality is very good as far as my spectators are concerned. Nobody has ever suspected anything, but since it is a Normal Kenedy one, it talks. I have a non-magnetic !@#$*r from TANGO, and that was waste of money. I am generally planning on buying Barbers or Morgans OXF from Schoolcraft. The chinese gimmicks that are online and are cheap are not made of real coins and even if they are very cheap, please don't waste your few bucks on them. I had and they all gather dust at home. I wouldn't even suggest practicing with them.
As mentioned above, things that Eric does with half dollars look great and maybe that size will be very suitable for the routines in spectators hands. Regardless, as a coin guy who does mostly dollars, I would recommend you to get yourself something that suits your general preference for coins. I bought mine OXF before I settle on Morgans as my main coins and now I would gladly get myself Morgan OXF to replace the Kenedy.

Regarding the routine where coins vanish from spectators hands:
I love it, but now that some time has passed an you also might have done it some times, please help me with something.
The last coin... how to vanish it? The way Eric does it is not right in my opinion. First the reappearance on the shoulder brakes the whole effect of "coins vanish one after another". Secondly, first 3 coins vanish in spectator hands and the last one trough slight of hand. Since I am asking for direct explanation on how to make a miracle, I guess you could DM me. I would love the input. I have an idea I will try out soon, but I won't post it here for now.

Regarding the whole project:
Amazing! Very well thought of, sources are mentioned, it elevates ones coin magic to the next level. Love it and highly recommend it!

All the best!
Toni

Hi Toni

as far as the last coin is concerned: false transfer and it's gone. That's the way I've been performing it. Hope this helps (a bit at least)

All the best
Michael
Killintosh
View Profile
New user
Vienna, Austria
4 Posts

Profile of Killintosh
Hi Michael!

My problem is that I want it to also vanish from spectators hand, but miming that it's in my hand seems to not be enough because after the false transfer they don't see it or feel it. A magician from the club suggested that I press harder in their hand and pause to create the magical moment at that instance, but still it didn't fit. For the last few hours I've been working on a "gimmick" let's say. Reel with a coin. Tonight I will be performing it again and now my intention is for them to have the coin in the hand as I press on it, and on the count of 3, I snap my fingers and lift and the coin is gone. While trying it on my desk, it seems pretty neat. Unfortunately it takes away a bit of the compact nature of the trick where all you need is the bag of coins in your pocket, but sacrifices must be made to elevate the effect to the next level I guess.
Still I need to mention, that routine is one of the most beautiful and wonder-like coin effects I've seen and done next to Cylinder and Coins by Eric Mead (Tim Conover).

Cheers,
Toni
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Killintosh wrote:
Hi Michael!

My problem is that I want it to also vanish from spectators hand, but miming that it's in my hand seems to not be enough because after the false transfer they don't see it or feel it. A magician from the club suggested that I press harder in their hand and pause to create the magical moment at that instance, but still it didn't fit. For the last few hours I've been working on a "gimmick" let's say. Reel with a coin. Tonight I will be performing it again and now my intention is for them to have the coin in the hand as I press on it, and on the count of 3, I snap my fingers and lift and the coin is gone. While trying it on my desk, it seems pretty neat. Unfortunately it takes away a bit of the compact nature of the trick where all you need is the bag of coins in your pocket, but sacrifices must be made to elevate the effect to the next level I guess.
Still I need to mention, that routine is one of the most beautiful and wonder-like coin effects I've seen and done next to Cylinder and Coins by Eric Mead (Tim Conover).

Cheers,
Toni

Hi Toni, if you're familiar with The Silver Edge by Kim Andersen you may get an idea how to vanish a coin in the spectator's hand without him or her noticing. I've been performing with the Silver Edge principle for months now and never got caught.

Hope this helps Smile

All the best
Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » METAL 4 by Eric Jones (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL