The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What are your favorite opening lines? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yeah, right! We are pleased you now get it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
Even now... dramatic pause. On with the show.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Before going on stage, pause, take a long, deep breath. Hold it as long as you can. Release the air slowly. Repeat ten times.

There are many well-written words, which sound pretty awful when said aloud because they were written for the eye rather than the ear. Patter is the spoken word and so one ought to bear in mind it is for the ear when devising it. There are plenty of tips around on writing for the ear etcetera.

In one way patter does not matter at all: one can speak Double Dutch, make 101 mistakes and the experiment will still work fine. That is because, unlike magic, patter corresponds with the heart as opposed to the rational faculties.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I just finished closing another "It's Magic" show in Santa Barbara last night. I realized that our opening lines are important to have down but it is more important to have something that connects you with that particular audience at that particular time in history. Our goal is to bond with that audience and start a conversation with them that will build a relationship that connects you to them as much as possible. Yes, sometimes that is a stock line, other times it is something that relates to that specific moment you all have share based on other elements in the show. The art is in knowing the right combination of words that will help them understand what makes you a unique performer they want to connect with. It's what separates the best from the others. I have many optional "openers" and the goal is to feel that audience and that moment in time and select the one that will create the correct bond between you and those viewers. The goal is to increase your sensitivity to the moment and select the correct words to touch as many of those people as possible.
Ray Pierce
prankmonster
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of prankmonster
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2019, Ray Pierce wrote:
I just finished closing another "It's Magic" show in Santa Barbara last night. I realized that our opening lines are important to have down but it is more important to have something that connects you with that particular audience at that particular time in history. Our goal is to bond with that audience and start a conversation with them that will build a relationship that connects you to them as much as possible. Yes, sometimes that is a stock line, other times it is something that relates to that specific moment you all have share based on other elements in the show. The art is in knowing the right combination of words that will help them understand what makes you a unique performer they want to connect with. It's what separates the best from the others. I have many optional "openers" and the goal is to feel that audience and that moment in time and select the one that will create the correct bond between you and those viewers. The goal is to increase your sensitivity to the moment and select the correct words to touch as many of those people as possible.

Piercing words and true. I used to have a couple of stock openers but these days I pretty much let the "moment" dictate what comes through my mouth. Every opportunity, every audience is different and what works in one situation may not be suitable for the next. As corny as it sounds, part of what helped me grow as a performer was being more mindful and being more "present" and going away from scripted openers and lines and learning to go with the flow of the moment and being a mirror to the audience in front of me.
kuma62
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of kuma62
For myself, I usually start with a a famous quote from a song like I am going to start to do karaoke, then I snap out of it and realize its thr wrong "act"

But my favorite I've ever seen is max maven when he walks up super slowly takes his time and just says "boo" so classic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What are your favorite opening lines? (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL