The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 1971 Rider-Waite Tarot (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shakuni
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Can anyone please confirm that the Rider-Waite Tarot printed in 1971 by USPCC were un-laminated? Thanks!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4474 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I'm not sure if any tarot deck has ever been laminated (at least not as I understand the word). It would make it quite difficult for shuffling and use.

Maybe you mean "plastic-coated?" This process in which plastic is lightly sprayed over the surfaces of each card help reduce wear and keeps cards somewhat cleaner, while maintaining the right amount of stiffness for normal use.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Hi Sir, yes, that is what I mean. Is there a non plastic-coated version of Rider-Waite Tarot?
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1555 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
The Sheridan-Douglas Tarot is laminated ...
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4474 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I do know there was a Rider-Waite-Smith deck that was meant to be colored by the user. As such, it wouldn't be plastic-coated (at least not on the faces). I don't know if it's still printed, but you might be able to find a copy if your diligent.

Also, search for "Color your own Tarot" and you should find a variety of other decks that you can use.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Schaff
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
101 Posts

Profile of Schaff
The riders from US game systems have some of the thinnest coating, and take tea and shoe polish easily. Also— a lot of the NEW rider waites right now seem to say
copyright 1971, so make sure you are actually getting what you expect.
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
107 Posts

Profile of scottishpiper51
I second Schaff’s recommendation and caveat.

There are a couple of questions I have, the answers to which may help me help you:

1. What is the reason you are seeking uncoated cards?

2. Must the cards be of the RWS type?
Schaff
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
101 Posts

Profile of Schaff
It probably doesn’t matter, but traditionally, the ones you color yourself were to only be used to give readings to yourself. I don't know what you are going to do, but more experienced sitters might know this too.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 1971 Rider-Waite Tarot (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL