The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bigger Fish Files (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7196 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You know the score Jack. We all have to agree with Iain otherwise he gets a monk-on and throws his teddy out of the pram.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3676 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Pegasus, ed, and Jack:

Perhaps this release could be a dud (finally) and you three can feel vindicated for your observations but man, I honestly still have not found any of Peter's releases to be duds yet (though, never say never).

Jack, I can totally understand how $250+ is just too high of a price for a product especially when in the world of the magic retail market where I do agree, much of it is complete horse poop, I would recommend you check out his (Peter Turner) download releases on Penguin. They are all super reasonably priced and contains so much usable information with the only fault of those releases (lectures and non-lecture video downloads) is that he often goes off on tangents or goes through things at a sometimes too quick pace where if you divert your attention for even a moment you will miss a crucial piece of information. Well worth checking out and priced at an incredibly affordable price.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
853 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Pegasus, I'd trust you enough to jump out of an airplane with you any time, even though I'd be soiling my pants as it's happening!

I know the guys who are watching my back.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
853 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Kiss, I may take you up on that.

Your opinions are valid to me.

Would you recommend any lecture in particular?

I'm sending you a PM.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7196 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2018, kissdadookie wrote:
Pegasus, ed, and Jack:

Perhaps this release could be a dud (finally) and you three can feel vindicated for your observations but man, I honestly still have not found any of Peter's releases to be duds yet (though, never say never).

Jack, I can totally understand how $250+ is just too high of a price for a product especially when in the world of the magic retail market where I do agree, much of it is complete horse poop, I would recommend you check out his (Peter Turner) download releases on Penguin. They are all super reasonably priced and contains so much usable information with the only fault of those releases (lectures and non-lecture video downloads) is that he often goes off on tangents or goes through things at a sometimes too quick pace where if you divert your attention for even a moment you will miss a crucial piece of information. Well worth checking out and priced at an incredibly affordable price.


I only said 200 pounds for a bottle. I had no idea what it meant, up until I saw the promotion pic. Now I understand and this will be my final post here. The trailer was cool.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3311 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2018, Jack Straw wrote:
Kiss, I may take you up on that.

Your opinions are valid to me.

Would you recommend any lecture in particular?

I'm sending you a PM.


I’d go for the at the table lecture first as that sells for pennies and has some good workable stuff.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3676 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2018, Jack Straw wrote:
Kiss, I may take you up on that.

Your opinions are valid to me.

Would you recommend any lecture in particular?

I'm sending you a PM.


Answered your inquiry in regards to accents in the PM. As for which lecture to recommend, I think the second one (Penguin) from a material standpoint is my favorite. That Fate-CAAN he teaches, WHOA NELLY! The Jedi push on there and boy is that a good one along with thoughts on Derren Brown's Lift (I think it's called Lift, it's a PK touches type effect that is done in real time).

He also has a Murphy's At the Table Live lecture. That one is like only $8 when not on sale (he talks a bit faster and goes off on more tangents on that one, so you will likely have to do a lot of rewinding when watching that one to catch what he's explaining).

I would go with one of those instant download videos first before trying to venture into one of his PDF mentalism master class series (I found his written work to be easier to understand when you first have a foundational knowledge of the ideas he uses throughout his work in a visual video format first, as a lot of it has to do with timing of your script). If one is interested in his Isabella's Star routine, I would skip Isabella's Star 2 (which contains the first one in it's entirety + IS2) and go straight to Isabella's Star 3. Much more streamlined, easier to execute, and it's actually more like 3 effects stringed together into a routine (and a number of key principles are applicable to a whole range of things if one sat down and thought about applications for the principles).

That's mainly why I keep picking up his releases. There's so much material from a techniques and principles standpoint that are practical and usable with a variety of other stuff that I may perform completely outside of the routines he teaches them in. That's where a lot of the value comes in. I'm sure that one day he may run out of ideas but thus far the well has not run dry yet for him (so in a lot of ways, he's kind of like Bob Cassidy, when Cassidy was alive, he released A LOT of material when alive, completely prolific).
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17833 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2018, pegasus wrote:
You know the score Jack. We all have to agree with Iain otherwise he gets a monk-on and throws his teddy out of the pram.


wow that's quite an old Yorkshire based phrased...not heard that in years...

and nope, no one has to agree with me - just as you guys who constantly complain and guess incorrectly can do just that, I can question your actions...cuts both ways, as does the advice...don't read my comments, don't respond...easy...

and yes - people can guess at what's on this release...I won't be buying it, I bought the BF2 book when it was released - it was an interesting read...and I've seen Pete perform a fair few times for normal people (not you lot) and he can walk the talk or talk the walk, whichever way it want it...but there's a big difference between guessing and constantly nagging and chipping away at releases...

again - if you wanna act like you're a full time contributor to the Daily Mail angry letters pages and cuddle your princess diana duvet - go for it...

i'll still type what I want...

oh and if you are reading this, how about doing some reviews or even a PM on the things you DO genuinely like, and where you perform them - I'd honestly be interested in finding out what is a good release in your collective eyes...
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of swood
Really? We're going back to a debate about whether Pete's material is good? Again? Honestly? The detractors on here seem as fanatic and obsessed by him as his supporters! I only have my own opinion but it's shared by more than a few. From my perspective Bigger Fish 2 made a big impact when it was released and contained some very strong material. So did When in Rome. (I didn't know Pete at the time but appreciated the thinking in his work.) Devil in Disguise 2 was not only huge but had some great material on it. Escalators (much cheaper) had some great material on it - I'd say it was worth more than it was priced at. Isabella's Star 3 was more niche - I'm biased because I wrote it with him, but the feedback was excellent and although it's not super easy mentalism, many people thought it was a big step forward with that plot. There are very few that continue to release high quality material again and again. Pete is one of them. I've seen him do lectures. I've seen him do masterclasses. I've seen him entertain close up and stand up for the public. I've seen him hold court over and over again at conventions. I've seen the shows he's consulted on. I'm not a fanboy. I just appreciate good, strong mentalism and he delivers. Love his work? I'm sure the latest release won't disappoint. (Although I don't know much about it details wise, I do know the level of craft and care that has gone into it.) Don't like it? Don't buy it. We all like what we like.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3676 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2018, swood wrote:
Isabella's Star 3 was more niche - I'm biased because I wrote it with him, but the feedback was excellent and although it's not super easy mentalism, many people thought it was a big step forward with that plot.


If IS3 isn’t super easy then how do we describe IS and IS2?!? Smile

IS3 was super streamlined and elegant.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3311 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I absolutely love IS3 and Peter is an absolute master at it, Jack does like to bait, you could call him a baiter and he is an absolute master at it Smile

Yes Pete is a good friend, not because he is a clever thinker but because he is a really warm and generous human being. I first met Pete when Bigger Fish 2 was due to be released. I was heading to Leeds for work and knowing Pete lives in that neck of the woods I sent him a message asking if he was free to meet. We met in a restaurant where he immediately blew my mind with his billetless name guess. He then performed his hands off ACAAN with my borrowed deck. He then taught me every single effect from Bigger Fish 2 and shared a bunch of unpublished material with me. The least I could do was pay for dinner but no Pete wasn’t having any of it and said “No, dinner is on me”. I was like I have just had a free master class with Pete Turner and now you want to buy me dinner, so I put my foot down and got dinner.

So at this point I have met Pete once for a couple of hours. A few weeks later the client in Leeds wants me back so I send Pete a message to let him know I am coming back to Leeds and he says “Don’t pay out for a hotel, come and stay at my place”. So he gives me the details and I arrive at Pete’s, He left me a message to say that he is out so I let myself in. I then send Pete a message asking where he is and he replies “I’m in Paris, I should be back on Thursday, make yourself at home and we can hang out at the weekend”.

Pete is often portrayed on these forums as a money grabbing charlatan who churns out half baked ideas that have never been tested on real audiences. Nothing could be further from the truth. The real Pete is a warm generous guy who gives away more than he sells and who will open up his home to a relative stranger and ask for absolutely nothing in return. He has a real passion for this art and crafts his routines in painstaking fashion and tests them extensively in the real world and tweaks them to breaking point before releasing them. There are a ton of people who have similar stories to mine of Pete, he is very generous with both his time and talent.

On to Pete’s material, I can’t speak about the BF Files as life has kept me too busy to spend as much time with Pete as I’d like this year so I don’t know the details but I saw him work the Midas touch on real people, as in the general public for 5 years before her released it, I saw IS3 go from the germ of an idea to a fully fleshed out polished routine over several years before he released it. Many of the items in DID 2 I saw the seed of the original idea that he showed me years ago turn into routines that in some cases had me completely fooled. I use a lot of Pete’s material myself in the real world including Astronomical, Your intuition, Simply overlooked, Try to Hypno me, bold phone unlock. Getting to know you, IS2 and 3 and Midas touch regularly. I am sure I use others but those I use often. Pete and Michael Murray are the two people who’s thinking most influences my own and who consistently leave me in awe of their thinking.

Pete’s earliest work such as Dare to be Bold and Devious realities my be a bit hit and miss but he was a young boy back then, Peter the man has consistently released workable and solid real world tested material which includes far more value than simply the effects. Pete has more than earned his success but there are those who will always try to know him down because of that success.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Nevets
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Nevets
Mark, calling Jack a master baiter is the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time! 😂😂😂
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
853 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Wow, I'm humbled and I'm impressed with my "master baiter" status.

I didn't know I was so darn good.

Nevets, you disappoint me with your laughter.

Please repeat after me:

Jack is a master baiter, Jack is a master baiter........
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7196 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Reminds me of the old 1970’s kids tv programme Captain Pugwash. Starring Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. Smile
tomd
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of tomd
I'm almost certain that this will be an incredible release. Just a shame this will be snapped up before I'll be able to save up and spend that amount. never been a fan of this whole limited release idea.

Oh well.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2018, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I absolutely love IS3 and Peter is an absolute master at it, Jack does like to bait, you could call him a baiter and he is an absolute master at it Smile

Yes Pete is a good friend, not because he is a clever thinker but because he is a really warm and generous human being. I first met Pete when Bigger Fish 2 was due to be released. I was heading to Leeds for work and knowing Pete lives in that neck of the woods I sent him a message asking if he was free to meet. We met in a restaurant where he immediately blew my mind with his billetless name guess. He then performed his hands off ACAAN with my borrowed deck. He then taught me every single effect from Bigger Fish 2 and shared a bunch of unpublished material with me. The least I could do was pay for dinner but no Pete wasn’t having any of it and said “No, dinner is on me”. I was like I have just had a free master class with Pete Turner and now you want to buy me dinner, so I put my foot down and got dinner.

So at this point I have met Pete once for a couple of hours. A few weeks later the client in Leeds wants me back so I send Pete a message to let him know I am coming back to Leeds and he says “Don’t pay out for a hotel, come and stay at my place”. So he gives me the details and I arrive at Pete’s, He left me a message to say that he is out so I let myself in. I then send Pete a message asking where he is and he replies “I’m in Paris, I should be back on Thursday, make yourself at home and we can hang out at the weekend”.

Pete is often portrayed on these forums as a money grabbing charlatan who churns out half baked ideas that have never been tested on real audiences. Nothing could be further from the truth. The real Pete is a warm generous guy who gives away more than he sells and who will open up his home to a relative stranger and ask for absolutely nothing in return. He has a real passion for this art and crafts his routines in painstaking fashion and tests them extensively in the real world and tweaks them to breaking point before releasing them. There are a ton of people who have similar stories to mine of Pete, he is very generous with both his time and talent.

On to Pete’s material, I can’t speak about the BF Files as life has kept me too busy to spend as much time with Pete as I’d like this year so I don’t know the details but I saw him work the Midas touch on real people, as in the general public for 5 years before her released it, I saw IS3 go from the germ of an idea to a fully fleshed out polished routine over several years before he released it. Many of the items in DID 2 I saw the seed of the original idea that he showed me years ago turn into routines that in some cases had me completely fooled. I use a lot of Pete’s material myself in the real world including Astronomical, Your intuition, Simply overlooked, Try to Hypno me, bold phone unlock. Getting to know you, IS2 and 3 and Midas touch regularly. I am sure I use others but those I use often. Pete and Michael Murray are the two people who’s thinking most influences my own and who consistently leave me in awe of their thinking.

Pete’s earliest work such as Dare to be Bold and Devious realities my be a bit hit and miss but he was a young boy back then, Peter the man has consistently released workable and solid real world tested material which includes far more value than simply the effects. Pete has more than earned his success but there are those who will always try to know him down because of that success.



These are the kind of things that testify to character. What you say speaks highly of Peter, very cool. Makes me respect him more. Thank you for sharing.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1556 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Just to clarify, this will have the same routines as BF and BF2 but just refined and made better?

Thanks
Sleepy
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3311 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2018, Jack Straw wrote:
Wow, I'm humbled and I'm impressed with my "master baiter" status.

I didn't know I was so darn good.

Nevets, you disappoint me with your laughter.

Please repeat after me:

Jack is a master baiter, Jack is a master baiter........


Jack I hope you know that I am only playing with you with no ill intent.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Nevets
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Nevets
Maybe Jack likes being played with :-0
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3311 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2018, Nevets wrote:
Maybe Jack likes being played with :-0

I think we already established he likes to play with himself.

Sorry couldn’t resist that one Smile

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bigger Fish Files (73 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL