The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bigger Fish Files (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Yeah how did a discussion about a mentalism project turn so, uhhh, “different” lol?
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1496 Posts

Profile of 252life
Cause we’re special. Very special. And probably very banned soon lol
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
I hope not Smile
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Just sorting the office out and found three copies of Bigger Fish Files that I brought back from the Blackpool convention. These have been added back online for anyone who previously missed out -

https://www.mindfx.co.uk/collections/new......r-turner

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Magidoc
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Magidoc
Now only 2 Smile
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Smile
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Any update on "Wish You Were Here" ?
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1847 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Here is my review for anyone who wants to see a glimmer of what this amazing project looks like / contains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pt1t1ir2ok
New Magic / Playing Card Reviews EACH WEDNESDAY
Youtube @MagicOrthodoxy
Dr Ross
View Profile
Regular user
Lincoln, UK
112 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
Here is my review for anyone who wants to see a glimmer of what this amazing project looks like / contains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pt1t1ir2ok

Great review and outline David! I feel sorry for those who watch it and want to buy it, but now can't (assuming there are no bottles left).

BFF is immense and amazing!! Will keep me busy for a VERY long time as there is so much to learn and return to.

- Ross
"If you want to be taken seriously, always check your fly" - Corey Taylor (of Slipknot/Stone Sour)
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Nope. Still some left on the13souls I saw.
K
Dr Ross
View Profile
Regular user
Lincoln, UK
112 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, TheDBK wrote:
Nope. Still some left on the13souls I saw.
K

Sweet. People best get on it then Smile

- Ross
"If you want to be taken seriously, always check your fly" - Corey Taylor (of Slipknot/Stone Sour)
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1175 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
I got this a little over a month ago, and it is one of the most massive projects I have seen. I have watched multiple pieces of it multiple times, but I don't think I have watched all 140 something vids even yet!

I don't know where to even start. It's almost like in every new project in the last two years (IS3, DiD2, etc.), he is giving us video footage of his almost obsessive drive to perfect his life's work and then top it, and we are the happy benefactors of the process. With each video project, we see a living record of the evolution of a performing artist and creator and community voicebox. If you see random clips of him discussing his work over the last 2-3 years, he often distances himself from his earlier years' work because of his feeling that it wasn't as refined as it is today, which is most likely true.

But this is true of ANYONE who decides to become a master of his craft. If Pete were in my living room, I would say to hell with that. The only way Peter Turner becomes the force he is today is because he was willing to put himself out there in a field that is not very open to newcomers, create prolifically and risk massive criticism, hone his craft with obsessive practice, and fail sometimes with "inferior" work (in his mind)...work and creativity under his name that, I suspect, is one of the most cited in the credits pages of anything published in the last five years.

Of course, if he were here, he would also say emphatically that if you ever see a turtle on a fence post, he didn't get there by himself. To that point, he has benefited greatly, IMHO, from a rather unique skill that is only indirectly related to his ability to read people better than 99% of the planet. Peter tends to be a natural "hub" of sorts in the community, which means that he often gets the benefit of people sharing ideas with him (which he has the excellent ability to refine). Why do people share with him? Well, in my experience, because he is willing to share with everyone else. He has helped countless of us many times with his time, his new ideas, his opinions, and his consultation. There is no doubt that I have benefited from his time, and several of you can say the same. In return, I believe he ends up being a hub of ideas passing back and forth, and his powers just continue to grow because he goes out and uses them. And then he shares the results with the rest of us.

And there's the rub. Most people are not willing or able to put the time into this skill set to equal a Peter Turner. It's not just tricks; it's storytelling skills, it's rhythm of speech, it's body language, it's charisma (a definite skill set in itself), it's "listening to" and "observing" others, it's learning...people. And in this world of texting and social media, the mastery of the live conversation with real humans is a dying art. Like the best of fortune tellers/readers, the only way to get good at all those things is to go out and be with people all the time and "DO IT." You cannot gain the skill of a Peter Turner by reading a PDF in your bedroom at 2 AM and practicing on your mom. And that is why some people struggle with his work straight off the video or from the book. If you want to get good at mentalism, especially the propless variety, you have to do it. And fail a lot. The skills he has can be learned and mastered, but how many of us are willing to put the time in? Not many, but for the ones who do, they stand to benefit with a skill that I think can be used in even other areas of life.

At any rate, here are a few of my highlights:

1. Effects for stage or camera: This may be the best resource for the other side of the curtain on the world of TV magic and mentalism you are ever going to get. In BFF, he simulates an entire 1-hour TV Special, and it is very well done. He then tells you how he accomplishes not only the effects (most of them), but the thinking behind how he staged them! The latter is the gold IMHO. Effects like the "jedi mind choke", "Try principle", and "robin hood" (all pseudo-hypno based) would be perfect for the TV concept, and they should be a springboard for all types of effects you could create or adapt on your own. Combining these pseudo-hypno effects with classic building blocks of mentalism is a nice touch. Now, I know I said these are for stage and camera, but I realize that many of you would do Jedi or Try as a close-up effect. To each his own.

2. ESP Section--Loved this section, and my favorite was Reverse ESP. His "sweet force of mine" is a worker with the right person, and it was nice to see it in action with real spectators who are not mentalists. This section is a nice little primer of about 3-4 key principles in ESP effects, and again, it was one of my favorites.

3. Peter has a way to force almost any card in the deck, and I can imagine how frustrating it is for him to try to explain/teach others how he does it. It is one of those things you just have to do over and over again before you get it. As he did in his Penguin Live 2, he essentially is giving away an effect of his that people have begged him for. It's right there in your grasp. Just learn how to force cards (that's one half of it). One of the forces, I was particularly enamored with: Queen force that led to a King force.

4. Billet Work--One of my favorite vids was basically a one-off about how to salvage a psych force that goes wrong using a business card. It is simply brilliant. He teaches a very nice, common-sense business card peek that is super fast and deceptive. He also reviews one of the peeks he shared on his first Penguin Live lecture.

5. Star Sign Galore--If you want to know how to divine a person's star sign, then BFF will show you in color multiple ways to do it. He reviews his an8g8a8 that is well known to most, but also gives you a way to do it while the spectator is silent! One thing about BFF is that Michael Murray makes several contributions to it, not just in the jam sessions, but also with his own work. He shares a nice star sign billet ruse called YGI that I think would be a nice addition to anyone's arsenal.

6. Michael Murray's "Between the Lines" effect is highlighted in BFF, and you get the PDF of the manuscript thrown in to boot. He also contributes his excellent Tombola force, one of my favorites.

7. Peter spends a lot of time on something I haven't seen him do much work on before (I don't have all of his work, so that doesn't mean anything): Contact Mind-Reading. There's a very nice stunt done in his TV special in which a man hides the "bottle" and Pete has 30 minutes to find it using only the touch of the spectator's arm. Peter demonstrates some close-up uses for this as well.

8. A lot of the value of the project lies in vids that touch on Jazzing, Improving your hit rate, what do to get out of trouble, looking smooth while jazzing, pre-show, answering questions after a show, equivocal choreography***

(***Concept that is the essence of all Jazz Propless Mentalism perhaps???)

There is a lot more; again this is massive. I imagine that if you really studied the concepts in this one project and went out and put them to use, your powers would grow too. Just my two cents.
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1298 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
After holding one bottle for weeks for someone they have decided they cannot afford the rest of the payments - so I’ve refunded them.

Ones available!

200gbp, 261usd or 231eur

To PayPal

Peterturnermind@hotmail.co.uk

X
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3818 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Michael and Peter, any updates on the Wish You Were Here videos for BFF? Thanks!
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:
Michael and Peter, any updates on the Wish You Were Here videos for BFF? Thanks!

I am curious about this as well.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1496 Posts

Profile of 252life
Ditto
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
JesterAndrus
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of JesterAndrus
Wish You Were Here videos are uploaded now, at least on my pages.
They fixed also a technical issue of the site I raised last Sunday. Many thanks for the great support!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3818 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On May 9, 2019, JesterAndrus wrote:
Wish You Were Here videos are uploaded now, at least on my pages.
They fixed also a technical issue of the site I raised last Sunday. Many thanks for the great support!

Woohoo! Thanks for the update! Also thanks to Michael as I had PM'd him a week or two back and he got in contact with Peter which I am assume helped expedite things Smile
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Smile
Mark Timon
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
In mentalism, all has already been invented, there are no holy grails and pros nowadays are using routines we all know. But still people pay big money for ephemeral satisfaction.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bigger Fish Files (73 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL