The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Red Striped Rope for Christmas (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1238 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Had to have been asked before, but can't find through searching. I'd like to replace my ropes I currently use in Fiber Optics for those with a red stripe (think Peppermint Sticks) for the holidays. Anyone know of an appropriate type and source? Many thanks.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2756 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Do it yourself. Use masking tape to wind around rope with the spaces between the tape to be colored red. Color with red food dye on a brush OR in a spray bottle. You can also use a light coating of regular red spray paint as long as it doesn't interfere with the rope trick you are doing when it dries. Red permanent magic marker is another possible choice. Sort of like this: https://www.magicnook.com/WIZj16/WIZ16-0......Fiki.htm
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1238 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Now, Jim... you're asking me to WORK!
Seriously, though, wouldn't dye bleed and make less than sharp line? And as far as paint, would that not flake? Surely there is a product available for this, but I'll take any advice.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1053 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Here is what you are looking for perhaps https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-5-8-i....../3613932

Hope this helps.

Mark
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Amazekids has a red and white stripe (not like you described, but might work) in bulk under Super Rope.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1238 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2018, Mark Boody Illusionist wrote:
Here is what you are looking for perhaps https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-5-8-i....../3613932

Hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks Mark, but I know that type of rope, and it's way to stiff and slick. But thanks for the help.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1053 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I just took a look at the link that Jef sent and that looks GREAT! That seems to be the rope to get.

Thanks Jef!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21178 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You could try Farbic markers, it might not bleed. The candy strip rope mark suggested, would not look like a stripped rope from a distance, the lines are to close together, it would just look like red rope.

You will just have to experiment with different products. I was just at the Dollar Store, and they have rope for around 3 dollars, it looked like it was woven very tight.

Better hurry, only 21 days till Christmas.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1238 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2018, Jef Eaton wrote:
Amazekids has a red and white stripe (not like you described, but might work) in bulk under Super Rope.

Hey, Jef, that seems to be the same material used in the Lowe's version, which is not workable. BUT, based on Amazekids' description, I ordered to try it out. I do remember getting an email about that product not too long ago- thanks for the reminder. Your Kandu Karton
is one of my Christmas show staples... (I actually use it in most all of my shows as it is) dress it up, and use Practical Magic's big Christmas silk.

Bill, I will visit my local dollar store tomorrow. I do have some fabric pens and will try it out. Thank you also for the tip.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1238 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Well, I received the "super rope" from Vanishing Inc. Certainly not super, and a stretch to even classify it as rope. The description says it's diamond weave... it's not. It's also only 1/4" thick, and even though there is no measurement listed in the description, one would think it would be more than that. And... "removeable core?", uh, there is no core, as the description does say. Just wrote a review on their site... as I said, not a candidate for anyone doing rope magic.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Sorry. I thought the video of the other rope looked good. I hope you find something that works for you in time for the Christmas shows. Happy Holidays!
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Red Striped Rope for Christmas (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL