The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cleaning Brass Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I might be getting a MagicMakers set of Brass cups. With my copper set, I just polish with the cloth and do not tend to use copper polish. I was wondering what the best way to keep brass clean. The same way, or should I use polish more regularly on them.
Chris
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Hi Chris,
where have you got the cups from?
Howard
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Get a good brass cleaner. Red Bear is good, but there are many... you might also consider having them nickle plated -- then you never have much cleaning to do. As far as copper goes, I like to let 'em age and get dark and grungy.

I have a set of brass indian cups that look over 100 years old... I would never think of shining them up.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Quote:
On 2004-05-07 18:59, hkwiles wrote:
Hi Chris,
where have you got the cups from?
Howard

Actually I didn't. I saw them on ebay for 50 bucks, and I was the high bidder until close to the end for only 51, but then had to go to my daughters recital and I lost. I probably would have anyway, because at the moment I can't justify to my wife that type of expense (or the 70 or so I might have had to go up to). Well I will live with my Morrisey copper set for a while until I can prove that I can get some income form them. I really would prefer copper anyway.

Thanks Pete for your answer.

UPDATE: May 8, 2004

Well I spoke too soon. I was able to get the set of Magic Makers brass cups and balls in the Paul Fox style for 55 dollars. I thought that was a decent price. So I will look up the brass cleaner.

I guess you are saying Pete, though, is that I shouldn't try to let the brass "age" like the copper set.
Chris
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have several sets of brass cups. I have found that almost any good copper polish works well on brass, too. Brasso is particularly good. Nev R Dull is even better. Wear rubber gloves when you use it. And wash the cups afterwards.

The main thing is not to let them get pitted. I have a set of brass Paul Fox cups that were very difficult to clean up, because they had some very tenacious spots on them, but I managed with a lot of elbow grease, and plenty of determination.

BTW, I also got a set of those MM cups, probably from the same guy you got yours from. I may have been the guy that outbid you! That's not a bad price at all.

I know what the wholesale on those things are. He isn't making much on them at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Bill, thank you. On a different note, I think (I think) I heard that you would be at our little convention in Hot Springs, Arkansa in September. If so, great, and I hope to see you there.
Chris
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2685 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Hi,
Since we're on the subject...I have a few older brass
coin boxes and such and they have some black spots on them. I can get them to fade a little with polish but
no luck really getting rid of them. Any advise?
Tom
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Hey Tom,
I have the same issue..how to let them age without those ugly black spots!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you really have polishing problems go to a professional metal polishing outfit. Look in the phone book you will find 'em.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If they are things like coin boxes where the fit is not absolutely crucial, you can use 0000 steel wool to get rid of the extremely tenacious brown spots. In extreme cases, some of the very fine grit metal sandpapers can be used, but I would avoid this as a "last resort" kind of thing.

There are a lot of excellent brass polishes on the market, though. Just don't expect miracles without elbow grease.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
Mothers metal polish works very well on brass, copper and silver. Use a paper towel (it will absorb the oxidation) dip it in the cream and rub the item until clean. Use a second paper towel to polish.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tabasco sauce works on brass in a pinch. Could be the vinegar in it that does the job.

Well, I got my brass cups from the same fellow who was selling them on eBay. It's interesting. The set I got from Penguin (copper cups) came with a drawstring bag. These don't -- that's not a big deal, you can get a drawstring bag fairly cheaply.

But the beads are an issue. They aren't evenly rolled. They aren't WAYYY off, but one is fairly open, one is open on one side and not the other, etc. And it is very easy to tell them from the geniune Fox cups. The depression in the bottom of these cups is not rounded, but has a flattish section in the middle. Also, one of the cups has a big area that is in need of cleaning/polishing.

Also, the brass is heavier than what Danny Dew used.

But they aren't a bad value for the money.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
You could always make a drawstring bag for cheap. I make them for my own uses, and they look great.

Also, Vinegar will do wonders to many metals....that is why so many people use Tobassco or Ketchup.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, I keep a couple of yards of velvet and some corduroy around here just for that. I can knock out a fully lined drawstring bag in a matter of a few minutes. I did find some really nice tarot bags at Borders that will hold a medium sized set of cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

microastro
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of microastro
Just get those polishing cloths for brass and copper. In the army we used them to shine our brass buckle.
microastro
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Or you could do what I did to my Johnson-apply a commericial antiquing solution (not a paint) to them and then they look wonderfully even. I njo longer have to worry about that half-tarnished-half polished grunge look.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Can you provide a product name for the commercial antiquing solution? Where would I shop for it?

Jeff
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Jeff,
I just bought a bottle of it at my local Michaels craft store. It's called Sophisticated Finishes by Triangle Crafts. It's the Patina Green Antiquing Solution and has Ammonium Chloride and Copper Sulphate in it.

I also found the same exact product at my local "Home Depot" hardware store in the faux finishing section of the paint department.

You can stop the process before your cups turn green and they take on a nice mottled orange/yellow/red look with an undertone of "old penny" brown. Make sure to do the insides as well if you have people examine the cups as the shiny interior would give away it's "true" age.

I just posted a photo in the "Expensive Cups vs. Cheapo's" thread if you want to see the results.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Try Brass Dakening Solution by WSI Distributors. It will leave your cups a dark rich brown, but they will continue to have a wonderful shine. (The shipping was as much or more than the solution, by the way.
David
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22456 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The polishing cloths that we use to buy at the PX for our Army brass was a cloth inpregnated with Jewelers Rouge.

Sears sells Jewelers rouge in the raw form. Just put a polishing cloth disk on your drill, put the drill in a cheap drill holder and touch the rouge to the spinning wheel. Then buff your brass. It will bring it back to the original beautiful shine. Then use clear paint to set the shine.

Personally, I like the shiny cups over tarnished look.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cleaning Brass Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL