The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » GF Repair (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Charles Gaff
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Hello. I was recently cleaning a GF and I popped off the tiny piece on the tiny piece. I can't seem to get it back on. Can anyone tell me what to use on this?

Thanks in advance.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1822 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
For a removable bond, I like Ace plastic carpet tape -- very thin and very sticky.
I recommend that if you're going to continue to use rubber bands.

If you switch to elastic cord however, I'm leaning back towards super glue (after swearing it off years ago) ever since I discovered that Good Off will dissolve it without much trouble.

I just repaired a Schoolcraft flipper that way.

For your reading pleasure:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29h2osli3ju3t......CX8xDXra
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Did you mean to say "the tiny piece on the tiny piece"? I'm not sure I understand exactly what that means....
Jerome BMC
View Profile
New user
Switzerland Vaud Denges
9 Posts

Profile of Jerome BMC
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2018, inigmntoya wrote:
Did you mean to say "the tiny piece on the tiny piece"? I'm not sure I understand exactly what that means....

Me too.. with pleasure I'll give you some help
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2018, inigmntoya wrote:
For a removable bond, I like Ace plastic carpet tape -- very thin and very sticky.
I recommend that if you're going to continue to use rubber bands.

If you switch to elastic cord however, I'm leaning back towards super glue (after swearing it off years ago) ever since I discovered that Good Off will dissolve it without much trouble.

I just repaired a Schoolcraft flipper that way.

For your reading pleasure:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29h2osli3ju3t......CX8xDXra

I've looked at you very helpful write up before when I saw a similar post on SME, I believe. Just curious if you have tested with other sizes. I picked up a couple of sizes at Michaels this week and though I would see what worked best. It look like the 1mm might work.

Thanks again for making this available.

Steve

PS Dollar Tree sells packages of super glue with 4 or 5 very small tubes. Perfect for jobs like this and you don't need to save a partial tube, which is always problematic - at least to me.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Yes,lol the tiny piece on the tiny piece. Unfortunately, the part of the tiny piece that holds the band to the other tiny piece has separated. This has left me with 2 tiny pieces. Not only is it very tiny to work with, I also cant seem to get it to stick.

Thank you for the advice on repair. I have the flip it dvd, but the size I got didn't work well on a walker. Insight on gauge would be appreciated.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2018, Charles Gaff wrote:
Yes,lol the tiny piece on the tiny piece. Unfortunately, the part of the tiny piece that holds the band to the other tiny piece has separated. This has left me with 2 tiny pieces. Not only is it very tiny to work with, I also cant seem to get it to stick.

Thank you for the advice on repair. I have the flip it dvd, but the size I got didn't work well on a walker. Insight on gauge would be appreciated.

Sounds like it's a Schoolcraft flipper. He makes* them by cutting a channel then placing a piece of brass partially over it to have something to hold the band in place.

That's going to be tricky to fix as the placement has to be "just right". Given my experience that "Goof off will remove super glue" I'd say that's your best bet - it just may take multiple tries to get it positioned exactly in the right place. I suppose you could also contact Jamie for repair.

If the "coin small part" is still attached to the shell, separate them first, then I'd line up the "coin pieces" on a flat surface, and place the tiniest of super-glue droplets along the "coin tiny piece" where the other "tiny piece" should contact it -- ensuring nothing gets in the channel. To do that I use a plastic toothpick that I dip into a drop of superglue and then use that as an applicator. Next, set the band-holding tiny piece in place using its counterpart on the large piece as a positioning guide. Press gently into place to let the droplets spread out. Wait for it to dry then see how will the fit is.

-------------

*At least he USED to make them that way.... I recently received a flipper that the seller says was from Schoolcraft that appears to have been made as one piece - nothing to come apart..... The way Lassen has been making them forever..... tho Lassen's cut seems much simpler and cleaner (and is probably harder to do or others would have copied it by now). Smile

Old Schoolcraft cut:

inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2018, stevenamills wrote:

I've looked at you very helpful write up before when I saw a similar post on SME, I believe. Just curious if you have tested with other sizes. I picked up a couple of sizes at Michaels this week and though I would see what worked best. It look like the 1mm might work.

Thanks again for making this available.

Steve

PS Dollar Tree sells packages of super glue with 4 or 5 very small tubes. Perfect for jobs like this and you don't need to save a partial tube, which is always problematic - at least to me.

You're welcome. Hope you found the info helpful.

I recently discovered the "single use" tubes as well. Though with my "toothpick applicators" once the cap gets super-glued shut I just poke a pin into the tube and continue on... it "reseals" itself. Smile

I've tried 0.7mm and 1mm cord and it's just too big for most flipper grooves once you've tied it to make a knot.
If the groove is large enough, I see no reason not to use a larger size.
Jerome BMC
View Profile
New user
Switzerland Vaud Denges
9 Posts

Profile of Jerome BMC
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2018, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2018, Charles Gaff wrote:

Sounds like it's a Schoolcraft flipper. He makes* them by cutting a channel then placing a piece of brass partially over it to have something to hold the band in place.

That's going to be tricky to fix as the placement has to be "just right". Given my experience that "Goof off will remove super glue" I'd say that's your best bet - it just may take multiple tries to get it positioned exactly in the right place. I suppose you could also contact Jamie for repair.

If the "coin small part" is still attached to the shell, separate them first, then I'd line up the "coin pieces" on a flat surface, and place the tiniest of super-glue droplets along the "coin tiny piece" where the other "tiny piece" should contact it -- ensuring nothing gets in the channel. To do that I use a plastic toothpick that I dip into a drop of superglue and then use that as an applicator. Next, set the band-holding tiny piece in place using its counterpart on the large piece as a positioning guide. Press gently into place to let the droplets spread out. Wait for it to dry then see how will the fit is.

-------------

*At least he USED to make them that way.... I recently received a flipper that the seller says was from Schoolcraft that appears to have been made as one piece - nothing to come apart..... The way Lassen has been making them forever..... tho Lassen's cut seems much simpler and cleaner (and is probably harder to do or others would have copied it by now). Smile

Old Schoolcraft cut:

Can't explain better. I can just tell you to use magnifying glass
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
I meant the gauge of the elastic band for a walker. The pics and description are not in need of a better explanation.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2018, Charles Gaff wrote:
I meant the gauge of the elastic band for a walker. The pics and description are not in need of a better explanation.

0.5mm should work
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
I'll try that. For the record, the flipper is a Roy Kueppers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » GF Repair (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL