The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Peg vs. Loci ? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris.Z
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Chris.Z
Are there Peg people and Loci people?

People who adapt or prefer the peg system vs. People who prefer the loci memory method?

When I learned Mnemonica, I used the Memory Palace, or Loci method, took me about an hour, and it was shaky but I could recall the whole stack. With practice I would have kept it.

Working on Aronson now, and I decided to follow the Peg instructions as listed in the book and I've been at it for a few days now and I still have trouble with step 1 which is understanding and associating certain sounds with numbers.
Step 2 is memorizing the number words, and 3 the cards, and 4 putting them together. I understand the process but man my brain does NOT want to accept the peg method.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7985 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Or you're not reading the good stuff!!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
paperinick
View Profile
Special user
my faro is starting to look nice after
982 Posts

Profile of paperinick
I learned the peg method before applying it to memdeck, so familiarity helped. I prefer peg because, at least at the beginning, you have a tool to go from number -> peg -> associated card image -> card and viceversa. It's a bit intensive, but there are phone apps that help with training 13 cards at the time. Then follow Woody Aragon's suggestion and take a break between the 2 halves of the deck. It will turn useful for some effects.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Like it's been pointed out, there's a big benefit to using the Peg System for a mem deck. The key to many powerful mem deck effects relies on being able to know the card/position connection out of sequence. The Loci system doesn't enable you to do that. If you need to quickly figure out what card is at the 37th position, Peg is the best way to go.

I originally learned it from the master himself, Mr. Lorayne, from his book "How to Develop a Super Power Memory. I found it easy because it made sense to me. For example 1 = "t" or "d" because both have the long stem, like the number 1. 2 = n because it has 2 legs. 3 = m for the same reason...etc. Each of the connections intuitively seemed organic so learning the sounds for each of the letters was a pretty quick task. Have that down cold and the rest will be much easier.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Peg vs. Loci ? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL