The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I once saw this magician who... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jeffkingmagician
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jeffkingmagician
I sometimes encounter that annoying experience when a spectator starts talking about OTHER magicians they saw on T.V. on this or that occasion, and blabbing on about how GREAT they all were or worse. "Hi, I'm the hired magician here. Want to see some magic?" I ask a couple a guys. "You should have seen this magician do something with these...ugh...he had these ugh foam things." He says to his buddy. I just stand there like a trained dog waiting for a yes or no. "You mean "sponge balls?" I interject. "Uh...what? Yeah whatever they're called. Anyway he was good." I pull out my sponge rabbits and do the routine for him in his hand that he refuses to keep closed. "Yeah, I know how you did that. Anyway, he was good." He says to his buddy. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19196 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Maybe the approach is in need of revamping.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2733 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
You do at times run into "those" people. There are plenty of other people to perform for.
It's just the nature of the business. Develop your people skills. Be fun and engaging and
good at what you do. That often quiets (not always) the people you describe.
Don't sweat it. Move on and love what you do.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Regular user
Randolph NJ
101 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I would venture to say that everyone on this board has experienced this in one form or another, assuming they have performed with any regularity. I was once on a cruise many years ago with some friends of mine and we were chatting with this other group of people we met and I ended up performing a little something. Some girl was calling me David Copperfield every time she saw me for the rest of the cruise. I did not take it as a compliment.

Honestly though, if this is the worst thing that ever happens to you when performing then consider yourself lucky! There are some real horror stories out there....
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2945 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I work restaurants and exactly what you describe has happened to me. I don't remember it happening in a while so maybe I'm better than I used to be.

Sometimes at a table there is a guy who demands all the attention be on him. He tells jokes and stories and is quick to comment on anything you do to bring the attention back to him. (sorry to say it's always a guy)/ Again I don't remember this happening in a quite a while so maybe I'm better at getting everyone's attention and keeping it while still allowing interaction.

When people do start talking about some magician they saw on a cruise or whatever it is usually card to wallet or ring to keychain. Some tricks are more memorable than others even if they get the same reaction when performed.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1013 Posts

Profile of imgic
Lonnie Chevrie in his Penguin lecture has a routine that deals with exactly this. You should check it out.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
606 Posts

Profile of brehan
Be gentle and nice,
They yust are sharring their experience of magic with you.

Brehan
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2900 Posts

Profile of warren
I occasionally perform a basic sponge routine that borrows heavily from a sponge routine I saw the late great Daryl perform I think it may have been on one of his fooler dooler dvd's anyway part of the handling eliminates the problem of spectators opening their hand prematurely and is definitely worth checking out.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3616 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
They are telling you they love Magic and trying to connect.

If it is a Magician I also like, I say I'm a fan too. I tell them that we ( Magicians) approach
Magic differently and that we don't all do the same things but I think you may like this...

I try to choose something that is fun and involves them but not almost the same trick as they describe. Some of the people that are mentioned are world class ( like Ricky Jay or Shin Lim) so I'm not going to " put them in their place" but a personal experience of Magic can and should still be strong even if I' m not famous. They are asking for an experience of Wonder and we can all provide that if we engage them in the present experience.

The audience knows on some level that I'm not being paid the same as David Copperfield or I wouldn't be at a party where they were invited LOL.

-Mary Mowder
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1419 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Had this happen when our new owners took over at my restaurant. He started talking about how he saw this magician qho kept turning 1s into 5s at a state fair when he was 12. Know what I did.....

Turned a 1 into a 5 and blew his mind
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3616 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I can see why you would want to gain credibility with management.

I want to clarify why I suggest choosing a trick that is different than the one a spectator describes another Magician doing.

The comparison of the two tricks could go either way for the spectator. Either way they lose some of the Magic feeling they had.
If the first guy they saw comes off better, then you lose but also the spectator gets more of an impression that our tricks are much the same and it seems a bit less Magical when one imagines that we all have the same sources like a " Magic Store".
If you come off better, then good for you but the spectator has had an experience of wonder from the past devaluated. I don't think that is good for Magic when there are plenty of wonderful tricks to share.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I once saw this magician who... (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL