The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Linguistic Deception as Pseudo Hypnosis. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
As I've said on these forums, to the average spectator, there is no difference between pseudo hypnosis and the real thing. Most people are only aware of what they have seen in movies and on television. Capitalizing on that fact, many performers have developed linguistic deceptions that look like hypnosis but aren't. The audience however sees them as hypnosis and since this is about entertainment, it really doesn't matter.

One such technique is the start and stop by interruption dodge. The performer says "in a moment I will take away your ability to speak and no matter how hard you try no sound will come from you mouth" He then proceeds with "for this to work I need your cooperation so when I snap my fingers you can't talk. OK" See how the performer has asked the participant to play along but has also implied that without cooperation, the effect won't work. "Concentrating on my every word, I say now, you can't speak. No matter how hard you try you can't speak now" performer snaps his fingers. Move your lips but you can't talk if they try talking just interrupt with "but you can't". "Don't keep trying as you just can't talk." Then gently touch them on the head as say "all better now your can talk again." This is a quick thing, not meant to take very long and should be part of a bigger demonstration, where you control the actions of your participants.

So what if the person speaks anyway. It's OK as you have said that "only with their cooperation would this work" so it's there fault not yours. It's hard to fail with hypnosis as the hypnotist is more of a facilitator than anything else anyway. And like mentalism is enhanced by some misses. I suspect it's why some magicians, turn to it?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
From my understanding, it is either the accepting or rejecting of suggestions. With the example you shared, to me, it sounds like a waking hypnosis experiment and not a pseudo hypno stunt.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

I actually was going for a duel reality kind of thing, in the style of Fraser Parker but the example probably has my own hypnotic influences in it. Sorry for any confusion.

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Does pseudo hypnosis and dual reality coexist together?
Pseudo hypnosis uses cold cueing to get the participant to become an instant stooge, though there are tricks that also seem to give the illusion of hypnosis without cold cues, which makes me question... are those tricks really pseudo hypnosis or just tricks with a hypno theme?
My understanding of dual reality is different perceptions of the helping spectator and viewing audience.

My understandings may be totally out of skew and I am willing to hear other viewpoints to further grasp the differences or similarities.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Fraser Parker in his True Mysteries book presents several duel reality additions to effects, that look like hypnosis but aren't. I believe Kenton Knepper, has work on this concept also. Used mostly as Effect Enhancers they are not independent pieces.

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I will have to check some of his things out
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

I sent you a pm so we could talk.

danieltirado
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of danieltirado
Checking that as well...
Shoreline99
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Shoreline99
Except for fraser parker, I think there is this.

Prose & Cons by Thaddius Barker
https://mentalistry.com/products/e-books......-barker/
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Peter Turner’s Try to Hypno Me (taught on DiD 2) is a great, mechanical method for pseudo hypnotism and there is no dual reality really to worry about.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Pseudo hypnotic induction,

Start by saying "in a moment you will close your eyes but not now. For right now just follow my finger with both eyes." While doing this hold your finger high above the participants head and slowly move it from one side to the other, about to where their ears are. Bring you finger back to eye level and say "good". "Again you will follow my finger getting tired and relaxed as you do". Repeat the procedure but this time after the side to side move, bring your finger down below their chin. This naturally cases the eyes to close. Reinforce the closing with the words "relaxed and calm".

This is a variation on a pseudo induction I read in a free giveaway.

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
As I read that, IMO, that isn't a pseudo induction. It is a start of an induction and whether the subject is taken further into state of suggestabilty, is now on the shoulders of the facilitator.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

As I said, this is based on a freebee I read many years ago. As you have pointed out in the past, my own real hypnosis training and practice may muddy the waters at times Smile

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Senor, I'm sorry you feel I'm 'pointing out', it is not my intentions. I am just sharing my observation and opinion. If my thoughts are incorrect or incomplete, I would hope that perhaps some other aspects could be shared to further my own understandings.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Wravyn, I have no problem with you. I just think that my own experiences is mixed with much of my own understanding of the subject. So if my examples aren't exactly spot on, it's for that reason. I'll pm you the original pdf as I have giveaway rights to it.

Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
Luke Jermay's Premise and Premonition has a routine called Touching on Hypnosis that employs linguistic deception as hypnosis. His wording plus overt and covert touching works to create a dual reality to the spectators and volunteers. No formal hypnosis is involved, just the illusion of it. It's alright, an adaptation on Hoy.
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Kentonisms is that idea, you use a convincer and then suggestion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Linguistic Deception as Pseudo Hypnosis. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL