The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Paul Brook masterpiece—Certified Mentalism (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
353 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Hey all,

I would sincerely love to save you all the hyperbole and over-the-top praises that get sung so frequently…and I’d also like to excuse my French in advance, because this is the SINGLE !@#$%^& BEST mentalism book I have read in 2018. Quite possibly beyond that, too.

Now that this is out of the way, let’s back up and rewind a little.

Paul and I first met in September when we shared the stage at a performance. We immediately got along great and became (I’d like to think) friends quickly. When Certified Mentalism was released, Paul offered to send me a complimentary copy of the special edition. Unbeknownst to him, I had already prepared to buy that literally 30 seconds earlier and thus refused his offer on the grounds of wanting to support someone for whose work I have so much respect. All of which is to say, I paid for the book, and gladly.

(Just to showcase Paul’s kindness, upon hearing I wanted to buy the book he immediately offered to send that complimentary copy to another mentalist of my choosing, which we did.)

First off, the description of effects contained within Certified Mentalism as found on Paul's website is accurate. If you like what you read there, that's what you'll get.
Now, after having read through CM a couple times, I can honestly state a couple of things. 

Firstly, if a beginner asked me for a good book to start on mentalism, I would definitely include CM on the list.

Secondly, if any advanced performer, indeed any professional, asked me for my hottest book tip, it would be Certified Mentalism.

To clarify my first point: by no means am I saying that Certified Mentalism is a book written for beginners, nor is the material contained therein necessarily easy to master. I do however believe that the wide range of practical and well-scripted material will give any budding mentalist both a great repertoire to choose and perform from, as well as fantastic examples of effective structuring. On top of that, several of these routines really drive home the point that what we would regard as a ‘clever’ method is not necessarily the best way to go - instead, Paul uses whatever works best and is most practical for any given situation. The methods are fooling, yet there are no superfluous bells and whistles to be found. I like that a lot.

Any advanced performer will benefit from the book for most of the same reasons. In Certified Mentalism we get to peek inside a working professional’s mind. Paul shares with us routines that have been revised and reworked until they became as streamlined and effective as they could possibly be. All of this, literally every single routine, is workable and impactful. In fact, while reading the book, I kept messaging Paul after almost every chapter I read to tell him how much I loved that one..so much so that I feared he would get annoyed eventually (he did not). 
Paul also does a great job of analysing and explaining why he does certain things a certain way, why things build up the way they do and why his scripting was written one way and not another. In some routines he goes into the evolution it went through, which I believe is always a great learning tool. 

Certified Mentalism is as much a book about practical performance pieces as it is a book about theory and practical experience.

Just now, I went back to the book to see if I could point out my favourites to you. I’m sure you may have already guessed what I am about to say: finding any definite favourites was very difficult as I got excited about every piece all over again just reading their titles.

So for now, let it suffice to say that I’ve been having a lot of fun with The Copenhagen Coverup, which is a remix of a routine we all know (and love); Chess in The Hand, which is very, very simple and straightforward (I love those routines) and features the fantastic Dog Eared Switch; Sharprediction, which you can always have on you to get an extra reveal for free in some cases; Wrong Order, again straightforward and hits hard (plus I LOVE the bold method as well as the subtleties applied. Paul is great at subtleties) and Don’t Be Alarmed for its great organic premise.

This has already been going on for a little while, so just one more thing: Standard or Special Edition? I for one am certainly glad to have bought the Special Edition. The Special part features four of Paul’s working routines in detail. They are probably routines that you know and maybe use the method for already, so what you find here are Paul’s interpretations of these. I have seen Paul perform the Sneaky Rogue live and it’s a thing of beauty. So are the other three routines included here. Advanced and professional performers will likely be the ones to benefit the most from this extra material.
That said, I was honestly surprised at how chock full of great material the Standard Edition of Certified Mentalism is. You will not be sorry to have bought the Standard Edition nor will you feel like you missed out. Similarly, you will also not be sorry to have bought the Special Edition - I am glad I did. Considering there is a certain price gap between the two, I’d be inclined to say that the Standard Edition is a great deal for anyone and will please both hobbyists, beginners and professionals alike, while the extra content of the Special Edition seems to be aimed more at professionals, which is reflected in the price.
Both come HIGHLY recommended.

That was that. Thanks for reading and hope it helped!

All the best,

Timon
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
- Richard Bach, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'

www.timonkrause.com
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
595 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2018, big dan wrote:
Thanks for the helpful comments and your message Paul. Will be picking up the special edition after January pay day!

On a side note did anyone solve the puzzles that were part of the Pleaides collection?

Hi Dan,

The puzzle is still yet to be solved...the prize is still waiting to be pulled from the stone by the one who is worthy!

I'm sure someone will solve it.

Cheers,

Paul
PAUL BROOK

He Knows Shop - All of my mentalism books, PDFs and props Smile

NEW - Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

Ask Paul Podcast A mentalism and magic podcast where you control the content Smile
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
595 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2019, TimonK wrote:
Hey all,

I would sincerely love to save you all the hyperbole and over-the-top praises that get sung so frequently…and I’d also like to excuse my French in advance, because this is the SINGLE !@#$%^& BEST mentalism book I have read in 2018. Quite possibly beyond that, too.

Now that this is out of the way, let’s back up and rewind a little.

Paul and I first met in September when we shared the stage at a performance. We immediately got along great and became (I’d like to think) friends quickly. When Certified Mentalism was released, Paul offered to send me a complimentary copy of the special edition. Unbeknownst to him, I had already prepared to buy that literally 30 seconds earlier and thus refused his offer on the grounds of wanting to support someone for whose work I have so much respect. All of which is to say, I paid for the book, and gladly.

(Just to showcase Paul’s kindness, upon hearing I wanted to buy the book he immediately offered to send that complimentary copy to another mentalist of my choosing, which we did.)

First off, the description of effects contained within Certified Mentalism as found on Paul's website is accurate. If you like what you read there, that's what you'll get.
Now, after having read through CM a couple times, I can honestly state a couple of things. 

Firstly, if a beginner asked me for a good book to start on mentalism, I would definitely include CM on the list.

Secondly, if any advanced performer, indeed any professional, asked me for my hottest book tip, it would be Certified Mentalism.

To clarify my first point: by no means am I saying that Certified Mentalism is a book written for beginners, nor is the material contained therein necessarily easy to master. I do however believe that the wide range of practical and well-scripted material will give any budding mentalist both a great repertoire to choose and perform from, as well as fantastic examples of effective structuring. On top of that, several of these routines really drive home the point that what we would regard as a ‘clever’ method is not necessarily the best way to go - instead, Paul uses whatever works best and is most practical for any given situation. The methods are fooling, yet there are no superfluous bells and whistles to be found. I like that a lot.

Any advanced performer will benefit from the book for most of the same reasons. In Certified Mentalism we get to peek inside a working professional’s mind. Paul shares with us routines that have been revised and reworked until they became as streamlined and effective as they could possibly be. All of this, literally every single routine, is workable and impactful. In fact, while reading the book, I kept messaging Paul after almost every chapter I read to tell him how much I loved that one..so much so that I feared he would get annoyed eventually (he did not). 
Paul also does a great job of analysing and explaining why he does certain things a certain way, why things build up the way they do and why his scripting was written one way and not another. In some routines he goes into the evolution it went through, which I believe is always a great learning tool. 

Certified Mentalism is as much a book about practical performance pieces as it is a book about theory and practical experience.

Just now, I went back to the book to see if I could point out my favourites to you. I’m sure you may have already guessed what I am about to say: finding any definite favourites was very difficult as I got excited about every piece all over again just reading their titles.

So for now, let it suffice to say that I’ve been having a lot of fun with The Copenhagen Coverup, which is a remix of a routine we all know (and love); Chess in The Hand, which is very, very simple and straightforward (I love those routines) and features the fantastic Dog Eared Switch; Sharprediction, which you can always have on you to get an extra reveal for free in some cases; Wrong Order, again straightforward and hits hard (plus I LOVE the bold method as well as the subtleties applied. Paul is great at subtleties) and Don’t Be Alarmed for its great organic premise.

This has already been going on for a little while, so just one more thing: Standard or Special Edition? I for one am certainly glad to have bought the Special Edition. The Special part features four of Paul’s working routines in detail. They are probably routines that you know and maybe use the method for already, so what you find here are Paul’s interpretations of these. I have seen Paul perform the Sneaky Rogue live and it’s a thing of beauty. So are the other three routines included here. Advanced and professional performers will likely be the ones to benefit the most from this extra material.
That said, I was honestly surprised at how chock full of great material the Standard Edition of Certified Mentalism is. You will not be sorry to have bought the Standard Edition nor will you feel like you missed out. Similarly, you will also not be sorry to have bought the Special Edition - I am glad I did. Considering there is a certain price gap between the two, I’d be inclined to say that the Standard Edition is a great deal for anyone and will please both hobbyists, beginners and professionals alike, while the extra content of the Special Edition seems to be aimed more at professionals, which is reflected in the price.
Both come HIGHLY recommended.

That was that. Thanks for reading and hope it helped!

All the best,

Timon

Nawww thanks Timon, that's extremely kind of you Smile

Cheers,

Paul
PAUL BROOK

NEW - Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

Ask Paul Podcast A mentalism and magic podcast where you control the content Smile
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
825 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Special Edition for sale in "Books & lecture notes for sale or trade..."
corindaman
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Without wishing to sound like a grumpy old man, wasn’t the last effect in the book ‘Special edition’ already released on one of Paul’s DVD releases ?
Deano88
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincolnshire UK
375 Posts

Profile of Deano88
I have the standard version and have just finished my first read through and have to say it’s been a great read and there are definitely routines both close up and stage I will be using for sure. I’ll give a full review soon
Bartelli
View Profile
Veteran user
Belgium
322 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
This is indeed a very good book, but for me there is nothing new. I must admit I haven't read it from from front to back yet, but I have read a lot.
If you have Paul's previous releases and live lectures (Alakazam + Penguin) than you already have it all. Including most of the subtleties.
If you don't own the previous releases, I recommend it.
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
595 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2019, corindaman wrote:
Without wishing to sound like a grumpy old man, wasn’t the last effect in the book ‘Special edition’ already released on one of Paul’s DVD releases ?

Hi Corindaman,

Yes that one effect in the special edition is included on the one of my DVDs. However, there are nuances in the book even for this routine. However, there is plenty of new material in the book.

Cheers,

Paul
PAUL BROOK

Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
595 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2019, Bartelli wrote:
This is indeed a very good book, but for me there is nothing new. I must admit I haven't read it from from front to back yet, but I have read a lot.
If you have Paul's previous releases and live lectures (Alakazam + Penguin) than you already have it all. Including most of the subtleties.
If you don't own the previous releases, I recommend it.

Hi Bartelli,

Firstly, thank you for the kind words. However, there is plenty of new and previously unreleased material in the 'Certified Mentalism'.

There are a few cross-overs with what I have shed in the Live Lectures, but the vast majority of the book doesn't fall into this area. Also for the work that does fall into this category I've provided extra subtleties and developments.

Cheers,

Paul
PAUL BROOK

MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I decided to make a video review for this. I feel it’s flown a bit under the radar; so here are my thoughts good, bad, and ugly.

Madison
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
The special edition of this book is top of my wish list for sure. Will hopefully order one once I have the money, sadly its like $170 CAD, plus shipping I'm sure so that'll have to be budgeted with the rest of life. Paul is your site the only place to order a copy currently?

Thanks!
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
595 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2019, CGould wrote:
The special edition of this book is top of my wish list for sure. Will hopefully order one once I have the money, sadly its like $170 CAD, plus shipping I'm sure so that'll have to be budgeted with the rest of life. Paul is your site the only place to order a copy currently?

Thanks!

Yes, this is only available directly from me through my He Knows shop. As a side note it has recently had a bit of an update including some new additions.

Cheers,

Paul
PAUL BROOK

illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
714 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Both editions have received additions?
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
595 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2019, illusioneer wrote:
Both editions have received additions?

My apologies. For clarity, I meant that the shop has had some new additions, not the book.

Cheers,

Paul
PAUL BROOK

Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1224 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
God, that is such a relief to hear!! I, too, thought the book had been updated..!

Seth
pacozaa
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of pacozaa
Just place order for special edition. Looking forward to this one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Paul Brook masterpiece—Certified Mentalism (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL