The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do You Want To Know A Secret? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
What did Ray Bradbury, James Baldwin, Susan Sontag, Ernest Hemingway, and Hannah Arendt all have in common? You can listen to my radio interview with the editor of Writers Under Surveillance, a collection of FBI files obtained through the Freedom Of Information Act, here:

https://jackshalom.net/2018/12/16/writer......illance/
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What did Ray Bradbury, James Baldwin, Susan Sontag, Ernest Hemingway, and Hannah Arendt all have in common? They were all overly considerate of Communism.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I wonder if you can say the same about Tom Clancy, Ayn Rand, and Robert Heinlein.

In America, unlike some other English speaking countries, we have a First Amendment, which declares explicitly that the government may not single out people because of their political beliefs or speech.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Haha, Landmark! I thought you were referencing a song by the Beatles ...
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
America and other English speaking countries effectively ceased to exist after World War II. That which exists is two superpowers, one lead by America and the other by Russia. Anybody overly considerate of Communism is considered an enemy by the American lead side. As far as the Cold War goes there are no rules because western civilization is at stake. If you don’t think so then you ought to go read some more declassified files.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I'm curious about the surveillance of Hannah Arendt, who was no friend of either communism or fascism. Lynn
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2018, tommy wrote:
America and other English speaking countries effectively ceased to exist after World War II. That which exists is two superpowers, one lead by America and the other by Russia. Anybody overly considerate of Communism is considered an enemy by the American lead side. As far as the Cold War goes there are no rules because western civilization is at stake. If you don’t think so then you ought to go read some more declassified files.

Still upset by 1776? It's not a bad document. Especially those Amendments.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2018, landmark wrote:
I wonder if you can say the same about Tom Clancy, Ayn Rand, and Robert Heinlein.

In America, unlike some other English speaking countries, we have a First Amendment, which declares explicitly that the government may not single out people because of their political beliefs or speech.

I just re-read the 1st amendment and I'm having a difficult time finding where it says that the government may not single out people because of their political beliefs or speech. Maybe you can help me.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first_amendment

It's one sentence. See if you can find it.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
You are either with us or against us. She did not like the way America and its allies opposed Communism - bear in mind that America was recruiting thousands of Nazis to help them fight the cold war.

No not at all: your document is only four pages long and only took nine months to write and I am all for it. I am however upset by the 585-page draft Brexit document that took two years to write and brought back by our Quisling from the Nazi-founded EU with a little help from our friends the CIA.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well, tommy, it's hard for me to keep up with what exactly your views are. Based on this thread it seems 1) you're against CIA surveillance, but not FBI surveillance (surveillance for thee but not for me is your motto?); and 2) You are all for taking away freedom so that you can save freedom. I don't think so.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Landmark,..it's a great broadcast!

Tommy, I'd recommend listening, to it.
They were actually all 'observed' for different reasons.

It was funny to hear,
the FBI had photos of the wrong peoples(!),
in the cases of John Lennon and James Baldwin!
For James Baldwin,....they had the picture of a white man!..!

It was also funny to hear, the angst they had to confront 'openly',
those who could write(!).
The FBI feared being ridiculed!

The power of the pen.

Great article. Thanks.
gallagher
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for the mention, gallagher.

In the case of James Baldwin, you may be misremembering the FBI's slip up. The FBI had an interview with a Mrs. James Baldwin; but Baldwin who was gay, had never been married.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Enjoyed the interview, Jack; and then later read the file on Hannah Arendt. It originated from an "informant" who was upset his daughter (a UC berleley student) was encouraged to study abroad; and he further claimed that Arendt advocated "totalitarianism". (In fact she wrote the major treatise against it!!!) It was so ridiculous a claim that J Edgar himself refused to pursue it. Lynn
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well, I have no idea how you arrived at those conclusions based on this thread. I have not given a view about the rights or wrongs of what the FBI or the CIA have done. I am simply telling you what it says in declassified documents with regard to how the world has been since World War II. It was accepted by our governments that nation-states would no longer matter and what would matter would be winning the cold war and saving western civilization from communism. Since then we have not only put people who were overly considerate of Communism under surveillance regardless of the law but we have also killed them on a grand scale. Whether that is good or bad is a matter of opinion.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Okay got you. Sorry, I misunderstood the context of your statements.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2018, landmark wrote:
Https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first_amendment

It's one sentence. See if you can find it.

Well, there's mention of not making 'laws' regarding free speech but that seems to be quite different that what your claiming it says. "Singling someone out", whatever you mean by that, is quite different than making a law about something. I suspect you probably realize this which is why you are reluctant to actually explain how it applies.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Landmark, people are singled out in all societies for their speech and beliefs regardless, of constitution, magnacarter or other document. When government is frightened by speech, it works to squelch it. Those in power don't want to lose it so when ones words resonates with enough people and the power elites feel threatened, they put a stop to it. In this, your counties black history month, you need only look to Martin Luther King, for conformation but it's true worldwide.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
when ones words resonates with enough people and the power elites feel threatened, they put a stop to it.

We have no disagreement there; just pointing out that the "squelching" in the case of the people of the US is in contravention of the US Constitution.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The character that came up with the idea of the CIA, the cold war, not to mention the EU and the New World Order which have all lived in since World War II, was General Reinhard Gehlen and as early as 1943. The Gehlen declassified CIA file is interesting.

https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB146/index.htm

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do You Want To Know A Secret? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL