The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Helder Guimaraes Book - "Secret Language" - Pre-Order (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
One Final Post ü

I am very happy with the customer service I have received from Helder. I am as frustrated as everyone else about not being able to read the book yet, but I honestly feel Helder has been really good in letting me know about delays and in compensating me with free routines. To be quite honest and open myself I understand that some of my posts were over the top and more than a little rude. I have a very bad sense of humour. I apologise. I still stand by my original statements. They are how I feel about this thread but I should have found a more polite way of expressing myself. Like I say, I am sorry if I offended anyone.

All the best x
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
I asked Secret Language that I think it would be a good idea for Helder to maybe post something here to keep the peace etc, their response was ‘Thanks for letting us know.
We will focus our time in getting the best possible quality book instead’
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Cool. Can’t wait.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Daren wrote:
I asked Secret Language that I think it would be a good idea for Helder to maybe post something here to keep the peace etc, their response was ‘Thanks for letting us know.
We will focus our time in getting the best possible quality book instead’


That's hilarious. I like Helder and his work as well and this release if it ever materializes will likely be excellent in the material it contains. The responses that you and some others have posted on here that you've received from them however is hilarious as in I don't know if they are just arrogant or if there's likely a lost in translation when they respond in English when they are not native English speaking and reading/writing folks to begin with.

I mean, you yourself have had this book preordered almost an entire year since the announcement in December of 2018. I recall the ad-copy listed out what would be contained in the book which gives the perception from a customer POV that the book just needs finishing touches and to be physically printed. This would lead any reasonable person to believe that the book is more or less done and just needs edits, layout, and then printing. Seems to me that the more likely scenario here was that not much has been put down on the page to make a book. George R. R. Martin is notorious for being incredibly slow with each of his releases but George R. R. Martin is also not asking for preorders almost a year in advance and listing out what will be in the book, George R. R. Martin is slow because he hasn't really figured out what to put down on the page to begin with.
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
126 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Moral of this story, people? Don’t put your hard earned money down on pre-orders for magic, ever...no matter who the new release is from. Is saving a couple of dollars really worth your frustration at inevitable shipment delays and seemingly disrespectful customer service to boot? Hasn’t experience taught us all that it’s not a matter of “If”, but “When” that delay will happen? Just buy the ****ed product the day it hits the market and avoid all the uncomfortable mess. Do you really think it will sell out the day it’s released, or even before? If you think yes, then I have a bridge to sell you. PM me.

And now your money is tied up and at the whim of Helder and Helder’s minions holding all authority over it...and quite conveniently past the timeline for any recourse through PayPal. Not very smart, guys. If you are one of the many thirteen year olds or younger, on this forum, spending your allowance money, then you get a pass on being duped. For all others... Lesson learned? Wanna bet!
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I was under the impression Secret Language was only 1000 copies? If the number of my order is anything to go by it pretty much has sold out already. Maybe that has changed? Anyway i’m looking forward to reading it. I love Helders thinking on Magic and am very grateful he is sharing his art with me. I know I will learn a lot from this book.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
I was under the impression Secret Language was only 1000 copies? If the number of my order is anything to go by it pretty much has sold out already. Maybe that has changed? Anyway i’m looking forward to reading it. I love Helders thinking on Magic and am very grateful he is sharing his art with me. I know I will learn a lot from this book.


I've never seen it stated anywhere what the book is limited to in regards to number of copies. This is likely because when this book was announced and going on pre-sale almost a year ago now, he/they never thought about these logistics because very likely either he had not started to write or wrote very little of the book and this very much appears to be figure it out as it goes with not more than just knowing which effects you are going to include in the book.

He's still accepting pre-orders for this book. I think the only difference between the initial announcement until now is that the price has gradually increased as the book continues to be delayed. This is the case as of this post as I've just checked the site.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
On page one of this thread there is a link to his sales site where it definitely says there will only be 1000 copies. Maybe the pre orders were so many he has changed that now, but my order number was over 900 in April so if there are still only 1000 copies there can’t be too many left?
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
It also says that he has been writing this book for over 10 years.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
On page one of this thread there is a link to his sales site where it definitely says there will only be 1000 copies. Maybe the pre orders were so many he has changed that now, but my order number was over 900 in April so if there are still only 1000 copies there can’t be too many left?


Just went back on the site to checked. I see where it says 1000 copies now. I highly doubt that he's sold through the inventory. Magic books actually take quite some time to sell through inventory. Even with hype behind them. There are exceptions but often those exceptions are for books with incredibly tiny print runs (in the 200-300 copies range).

This book when it does come out is probably going to be a great book. I've never been disappointed by his material. The delays on this book though is unfortunate.

Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
It also says that he has been writing this book for over 10 years.


I highly doubt it, but the material he's including is likely to be what he has been working and working on for over 10 years. He just likely have not put pen to page and thus everyone's still waiting. LoL.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
The delays in this book are very fortunate indeed because without them we would be getting an inferior product. I trust Helder has been using the time wisely and will be releasing a great book and not a rushed piece of tat. It would be nice if some of the posts on this thread could be a bit more positive about his creative decisions. I for one applaud his professionalism. Having read some of his previous work I am not at all surprised that he is trying to give his customers the best book he possibly can. Can’t wait for this brilliant book to be released, and if all goes well it looks like we could have it by the end of November. Happy happy happy ü
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
The delays in this book are very fortunate indeed because without them we would be getting an inferior product. I trust Helder has been using the time wisely and will be releasing a great book and not a rushed piece of tat. It would be nice if some of the posts on this thread could be a bit more positive about his creative decisions. I for one applaud his professionalism. Having read some of his previous work I am not at all surprised that he is trying to give his customers the best book he possibly can. Can’t wait for this brilliant book to be released, and if all goes well it looks like we could have it by the end of November. Happy happy happy ü


Wow, there you go again, spinning what is most certainly negatives as positives. LoL.

Also, how can anybody be positive about creative decisions when there's absolutely nothing to gauge creativity by since nobody has this book yet? You comment there literally made no sense. All that has transpired thus far is that he has taken the money for pre-orders since December of 2018 and the book still has no real release date nearly a year later. Are you claiming THAT is demonstrably creativity at work? Based on what? Also, how is that a sign of professionalism? Show me examples of where a vendor takes full payment of goods or services and almost a year later has not delivered any goods or services which a customer has paid for and that being an example of professionalism and creativity. Perhaps the creativity and professionalism is that such a feat was actually able to be pulled off without having been sued yet? LoL.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Or maybe you are spinning positives into negatives. I am naturally a positive person. I realise everyone is different, but like I said before, I am very happy it has taken this long if it means we get a better book. If it comes through the post and is a pile of garbage I will probably change my opinion, but I reserve the right to my current opinion and allow you yours. As I also said before I base my opinion of Helder and his artistic creativity on previous work he has put out. I am sorry you find it so difficult to understand such simple language.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
The delays in this book are very fortunate indeed because without them we would be getting an inferior product. I trust Helder has been using the time wisely and will be releasing a great book and not a rushed piece of tat. It would be nice if some of the posts on this thread could be a bit more positive about his creative decisions. I for one applaud his professionalism. Having read some of his previous work I am not at all surprised that he is trying to give his customers the best book he possibly can. Can’t wait for this brilliant book to be released, and if all goes well it looks like we could have it by the end of November. Happy happy happy ü


If it gets delayed another few years, then maybe it will be REALLY good.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I’ve been waiting for a copy of Flamenco for 15 years. Good things take time and money. If Juan asked for 300 quid pre order and gave no date and no guarantee of publication I would be all in with no questions asked if I thought for a second it would help him get it finished.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
Or maybe you are spinning positives into negatives. I am naturally a positive person. I realise everyone is different, but like I said before, I am very happy it has taken this long if it means we get a better book. If it comes through the post and is a pile of garbage I will probably change my opinion, but I reserve the right to my current opinion and allow you yours. As I also said before I base my opinion of Helder and his artistic creativity on previous work he has put out. I am sorry you find it so difficult to understand such simple language.


Your so positive that you called everybody else babies. That sounds like what a positive person would do, gaslight.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I apologised for that but you seem intent on attacking me. It’s fine. I think you are funny.
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
On page one of this thread there is a link to his sales site where it definitely says there will only be 1000 copies. Maybe the pre orders were so many he has changed that now, but my order number was over 900 in April so if there are still only 1000 copies there can’t be too many left?


I ordered it yesterday and my no. is 980.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
I hope we hear something soon?
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Same here. It sounds like here is some great thinking here. I am looking forward to the essays as much as the tricks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Helder Guimaraes Book - "Secret Language" - Pre-Order (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL